• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Ball joint and Wheel Bearing Advice 1977 scout II

int77345

1977 scout II 345 4 inch lift 33 inch tires

with my furlough time i decided to pack the wheel bearings. what do you all think is to tight for a front wheel bearing. i did as the IH manual says spin the wheel and torque to 30ft pounds then back off 1/4 of a turn. doing that the nut was only finger tight, seemed to loose to me, so i snugged it just past being finger tight. on the IR temp gun the hubs are running at 110-115 degrees that seems ok right ?

i also noticed the upper ball joint on the driver side has just a little bit of side to side play in it. maybe 5mm give or take, translates to the slightest wiggle at the tire when sitting on the jack stand . is this something to be concerned with ? or let it go till there is a lot more play at the tire . ?

with my furlough time i decided to pack the wheel bearings. what do you all think is to tight for a front wheel bearing. i did as the IH manual says spin the wheel and torque to 30ft pounds then back off 1/4 of a turn. doing that the nut was only finger tight, seemed to loose to me, so i snugged it just past being finger tight. on the IR temp gun the hubs are running at 110-115 degrees that seems ok right ?

i also noticed the upper ball joint on the driver side has just a little bit of side to side play in it. maybe 5mm give or take, translates to the slightest wiggle at the tire when sitting on the jack stand . is this something to be concerned with ? or let it go till there is a lot more play at the tire . ?

If there is play in the BJ change it. It's only going to get worse.

Scoutboy74

There should be two nuts for the wheel bearing. One to set the preload and one to retain the first nut with a locking tab that is bent over the edge of the outer nut.

Hondo

Always hated those bend over tabs, just don't like hammering on some things. Stage 8 makes some very nice locking spindle nut stuff p/n DNA-44, you can google them. Kind of pricey for stingy IH people, but very high quality made in USA stuff that make the job much easier, and won't come loose.