• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Advise on keeping the Scout IH powered or swap for LS

Rentalman

Hi All. I wish you all well during these troubled times. I recently picked up a non running 74 Scout II w/345 eng, 727 auto, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 front and 44 in the rear. My original plans were to build a 5.3 or 6.0 L rig. I'm still not sure if I want to replace the IH Engine because that is what makes these rigs Internationals. My direction for this build is to be a fun daily driver as I get closer to my retirement years (56 now) and drive it to the end. The thought of 5.3 or 6.0 L with matched trani and t-case build is strictly based on newer performance and reliability not so much to build a muscle car Scout. As for the suspension, what ever it takes to get 33x12.5x15 tires in the fenders with out trimming. Use would be an honest 80% black top and 20% off road. Those of you who have gone LS powered any regrets? Those of you who have stayed with IH power and are running a TBI system with upgraded OD automatic (700R4) are you pleased? Your suggestions and guidance will be appreciated. I've already pulled the eng, auto and t-case. I will remove everything else down to the frame like I did when I did a modified rebuild on my 71 800B. Then begin the build.

Attachments

JWhite

Hey there @Rentalman
I will preface by saying that I am not one to normally comment on the forums, but saw this post and wanted to weigh in. So, I just had my truck done by Anything Scout (you can look them up) and they did an AMAZING job. Although I am about half your age, I wanted the same exact thing; for the truck to be daily drivable. My original setup was a '73 with the 345 and a 4spd manual (idk on the t-case) with rear springs that were toast. Upon sending it to Sean and them, we put in a rebuilt 5.3L with a 4L60E and NP241 T-case. They also did new leaf springs and some other stuff. But getting back to your questions, I do NOT miss the 345 at all. With the 5.3, the throttle response, gas mileage, and serviceability are much better in my opinion. One of the main reasons i decided to pull the trigger on the 5.3 is because the IH parts are just shooting up in price and if I wanted to keep the truck for 20+ years, I did not want to have to spend a fortune if something went wrong. Feel free to DM me and we could chat sometime, but I do not regret it at all.
Best! -Josh

Rentalman

JWhite,

Thank you for responding to my question. I have reached out to Anything Scout (Sean) about this project. It is their work that lead me this direction. In my prior emails with Sean I had mentioned all the work that I would get done on the Scout II prior to sending it their way. I'm not saying anything negative about Anything Scout or Sean, I think they do a lot to keep interest in these rigs and to keep them going. I may have dis interested him in doing my Scout II since I would be knocking out a lot of the work that they would not get. I'm handy with a wrench to an extent and I like to know how things are put together so I can maintain service and not rely on a shop. Three times through emails he said he would send me a quote. I have not received a quote as of yet and this spans over three months. So I've given up on Anything Scout. I've got a shop locally that can do this work. They helped me build my 1971 800B. I'm now awaiting for a quote from Rock-Tech.

What tires and lift are you running? How does your Scout sound? Does it have headers with dual exhaust? I do love the sound out of my 304 in my 800B. I have owned Chevy pick ups with the 5.3's in them for the past 20 years. Great motor but with stock exhaust they lack real truck sound in my opinion. Does the original automatic shifter work good in all 4 gears manually? If you dont mind me asking what was the cost for your build from them?

Have a Great Day,

Rentalman (Vic)

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
JWhite,

Thank you for responding to my question. I have reached out to Anything Scout (Sean) about this project. It is their work that lead me this direction. In my prior emails with Sean I had mentioned all the work that I would get done on the Scout II prior to sending it their way. I'm not saying anything negative about Anything Scout or Sean, I think they do a lot to keep interest in these rigs and to keep them going. I may have dis interested him in doing my Scout II since I would be knocking out a lot of the work that they would not get. I'm handy with a wrench to an extent and I like to know how things are put together so I can maintain service and not rely on a shop. Three times through emails he said he would send me a quote. I have not received a quote as of yet and this spans over three months. So I've given up on Anything Scout. I've got a shop locally that can do this work. They helped me build my 1971 800B. I'm now awaiting for a quote from Rock-Tech.

What tires and lift are you running? How does your Scout sound? Does it have headers with dual exhaust? I do love the sound out of my 304 in my 800B. I have owned Chevy pick ups with the 5.3's in them for the past 20 years. Great motor but with stock exhaust they lack real truck sound in my opinion. Does the original automatic shifter work good in all 4 gears manually? If you dont mind me asking what was the cost for your build from them?

Have a Great Day,

Rentalman (Vic)
Have you thought about contacting IH Parts America who owns this website? We do full restorations, engine swaps, etc. You can reach us at 530-274-1795 or contact our general manager Darren who handle all builds at darren@ihpartsamerica.com.

Rentalman

Jeff, my apologize. I should have reached out to your store. After all I recently have been purchasing Swepco lubricants for my 800B and misc. replacement/restoration parts for the Scout II from your store. I have decided to stay IH powered. I'm going to see how far I can get with this project, keep asking advise on the forums and continue to purchase parts from IH Parts America. Down the road I will probably contact Darren when I need help with 700R4, T-Case and Hamilton Fuel Injection. Thanks for your great customer service and maintaining these IH powered trucks.

Rentalman

Well after many hours of viewing Youtube, reading multiple forums on LS swaps and driving my 71 800B that has a rebuilt 304, 2 barrel carb and Pertronix ignition I have decided to stay IH Powered. The main reason is these rigs are nearly 50 years old and they deserve to stay IH Powered. Yes new technology is better; MPG, HP & Torque but once you alter them in my opinion they lose value and they are no longer a true Scout. Yes they are cold starting and drip oil and require more maintenance. I've learned how to rebuild a carb, adjust and tune to pull 17 lbs of vacuum and that is very rewarding to me. These IH Engines are stout to go the distance (Steel cranks, thick iron blocks and gear driven).

Soon I will be sending my 345 out for a rebuild. My 304 was built .040 over with stock cam. Any recommendations on a better performing cam for the 345? Is porting and polishing heads even worth the expense on these low rpm engines? This Scout will run Hamilton's Fuel Injection and I will be switching out the 727 tranni for a 700R4. Still deciding on headers or stock 3 bolt exhaust manifolds. Use will be 80% black top and 20% off road. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
The split duration Isky cam is always a good choice on these engines. Exhaust porting does help since they are so restrictive in stock form. I'm not sure if the three bolt exhaust manifolds will clear the frame, maybe someone else who has tried can chime in on that one. With a 700R4 and HFI, you'll be very pleased with the performance.

Rentalman

Jeff, thanks for the info. Would headers be the better choice for fit and exhaust with the cam you mentioned?
I just worry about excessive heat.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about heat. It's going to be hot regardless of which way you go. Tri-Y's are preferred as they are more of a low speed header where as the 4 into 1 headers are more for upper rpm. Link to Stans Tri-Y's.

anthonybalmert

Nice 800! What gears are you running with that T-19 wide?

With all the LS swaps I imagine those that still have IH Iron will only grow in value. And these things are not meant for drag racing. There is plenty you can do to get modern reliability out of them between FI, electric fans, starters, wiring, etc. I'm currently swapping a 392 in the 73 I did a frame off to about 10 years ago. IHPA has plenty of cool stuff to make your build awesome, no problem finding parts. Went with the mild Isky cam and my machine shop found some pistons to bump the compression without needing to deck it. I stuck with the original manifolds. Hoping to have it running soon so I cannot testify as to how it runs yet.

Attachments

Rentalman

Anthony,

Thanks for the encouragement on staying IH powered. I would love to follow your build. I like what I see in the pictures. I'm still in the process of dismantling the Scout II down to the frame so I can start the rebuild. My 800B is running 3:54 gears with 35" tires. It will run 65 mph down the highway but 60 is a more comfortable ride.

anthonybalmert

Cheers!

I have 3.73s behind my T-19 which makes 1st a bit moot on the pavement and 2nd a bit steep. Debating going into the 3.92 up range vs trying to go down farther to make 1st usable on pavement. 4.56 seems like it would put 2nd where 1st was originally and turn maybe 3K at 60 and I could drive it like a 3 speed. I wouldn't feel comfortable going much faster without airbags on the freeway in Houston anyway, I like being alive. Another reason why an LS swap just makes no sense to me. Classic cars like these are much happier and safer off of the freeways.

On the build, Zaedsters High Schoolers build - https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/threads/high-schoolers-budget-custom-scout-ii-build.14425/ - is exactly how I did my suspension/frame and 33s fit perfectly - no body lift. If someone asked me I would say do exactly what has been done in that thread, your call on an NV4500. Get the suspension and frame done first, move on to the body separately. Haven't see how the body is going on the Hight Schoolers Thread, but I'm sure it will turn out amazing. I took mine all the way down to bare metal, replaced the floors, cab mounts, anything that was rotted, then put it back together and painted it. Now I am going back and adding all the high dollar bits I couldn't afford then.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaedster

Future Owner of IH Parts America
Cheers!

I have 3.73s behind my T-19 which makes 1st a bit moot on the pavement and 2nd a bit steep. Debating going into the 3.92 up range vs trying to go down farther to make 1st usable on pavement. 4.56 seems like it would put 2nd where 1st was originally and turn maybe 3K at 60 and I could drive it like a 3 speed. I wouldn't feel comfortable going much faster without airbags on the freeway in Houston anyway, I like being alive. Another reason why an LS swap just makes no sense to me. Classic cars like these are much happier and safer off of the freeways.

On the build, Zaedsters High Schoolers build - https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/threads/high-schoolers-budget-custom-scout-ii-build.14425/ - is exactly how I did my suspension/frame and 33s fit perfectly - no body lift. If someone asked me I would say do exactly what has been done in that thread, your call on an NV4500. Get the suspension and frame done first, move on to the body separately. Haven't see how the body is going on the Hight Schoolers Thread, but I'm sure it will turn out amazing. I took mine all the way down to bare metal, replaced the floors, cab mounts, anything that was rotted, then put it back together and painted it. Now I am going back and adding all the high dollar bits I couldn't afford then.
I should probably update that thread, but the build is almost complete.

I will include that the 33's were just rollers, I have 37" PBR's on it at the moment.

Attachments

Rentalman

Cheers!

Anthony thanks for sharing. You'll have a great performing and nice rig when finished.

Rentalman

I should probably update that thread, but the build is almost complete.

I will include that the 33's were just rollers, I have 37" PBR's on it at the moment.
Zaedster thanks for the updated pics. When I get into the frame and suspension on mine I will follow a portion of your build as I'm choosing to stay SUA. If I have any questions I will send you a message. Thanks again.