• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

Adding power steering to C series Travelall

dylancw

Hi all, I've searched the forums but I'm still confused. I have an 1100C Travelall (leaf spring front end, 4x4) and was wondering if the D-series power steering was a relatively easy fit? I know that late C series is easier...

Or if anyone else here has come up with a good method of adding power steering?

Thanks!

kevingweq

What box is in your T-all now ?
If it is a Gemmer manual it has a long non-removeable steering input shaft , I swapped out all the necessaries from a 68 into my 67 T-all ,,, Box, column, frame stiffener,pump, brackets etc.
the grill/radiator support will need to be installed from 68 or modified for clearance along with the inner fender,the frame will need to be drilled (easy)
Not a "bolt in" swap ,just a little time consuming

Check frame carefully for cracks behind steering box , also that area is where your "VIN" number is stamped in frame

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
Big difference between a 67 and 68. 67 PS had the assist cylinder down on the linkage while 68 saw the upgraded steering box with integral power assist on the steering gear. Just like GM IH changed over to the new Saginaw power steering design.

Many differences in the mounting also.

dylancw have you made any progress on this? I have a 65 pickup with early D series power box on it from a PO modification, I will be working in this general area soon of you like I can get you pics of how it fits.

billyrb

What box is in your T-all now ?
If it is a Gemmer manual it has a long non-removeable steering input shaft , I swapped out all the necessaries from a 68 into my 67 T-all ,,, Box, column, frame stiffener,pump, brackets etc.
the grill/radiator support will need to be installed from 68 or modified for clearance along with the inner fender,the frame will need to be drilled (easy)
Not a "bolt in" swap ,just a little time consuming

Check frame carefully for cracks behind steering box , also that area is where your "VIN" number is stamped in frame
Kevin, I know this is a super old thread, but wondering if you had any pics of the swap? I have a 1200b 4x4 that I'm wanting to convert to power steering and have a box from the previous owner, but wasn't sure what all was required for the swap. Also wondering if you have a pic of the 'frame stiffener' and have info on what all needs to be modded on the radiator core support?

kevingweq

Sorry for late reply, Here is a picture of the frame stiffener and a pic of how I modified the radiator support for clearance ,
The stiffener goes inside the frame . If I remember correctly only 1 hole in the frame was correct for the p/s box mounting
3 holes needed locating and drilling .

steering power brace.jpg

67 tall power steering cutout (1024x768).jpg

Pic of box installed

20160522_180218_001.jpg

Last edited: