• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

77 SS II It followed me home....

codeman

A few years ago, I replied to an ad in a local weekly sale paper for NOS Scout II complete doors. They were in the same area I live in so I checked them out and bought them. Brand new, in the IH boxes, complete door assemblies and ALL associated hardware. I asked the fellow why he had them??? His reply: "I bought them to put on the Scout I have in the garage so I can drive it in the winter." Of course I asked "What Scout?" Reply: "The one in the garage. Want to see it?" OF COURSE I DO!!!

We go to the garage and low & behold, there sits a 77 Super Scout II! It hadn't been tagged since 2010. I asked if it was for sale? "No, not right now. My son was born in 77 and i promised him I'd get it running and take him for one more ride before I sold it." I asked for first refusal when the time came, even said I'd get it running and bring it back for that ride. He was amazed I'd do that. Hey, it's what Scout owners do! We're special people! I didn't think much more about it. I did put his number in my phone.

Early last week, he called me. "I'm going to sell this Scout if you want it?" WHAT????? I immediately said YES! It followed me home yesterday!

Here's the scoop - all original except the engine, he wanted more power and had a 392 from a pick up available. I'm supposed to get the original 345 soon. There is literally NO RUST! One small hole, lower quarter just behind the passenger's door opening. Passengers cab mount has a spot or two. Floors still have factory paint and are solid. 38,071 ORIGINAL miles, I'm the third owner. The PO bought it in 79 with 13,000 miles. It has spent it's entire life garaged.

The only sketchy issue is he started it without pre-oiling!?!?!?!? I had told him about that when i bought the doors. It will run by pouring gas in the carb, but won't stay running. I figure fuel pump, clogged lines and/or filter. Going to drop the tank and do the deal. It needs all the regular "been sitting for years" maintenance work but i haven't seen anything major yet. Don't know about the TorqueFlite but i assume it's good? A good cleaning and this thing will be BOSS! It will be on the road in the spring! What a great winter project.

I'm still working on my 78 Scout II which is an off frame restoration project. I've been working on it for years with a ton left to do. That's when my wonderful wife chimed in! "Why don't you go buy that one and have something to drive while you're working on the other one?" She a KEEPER!!!! So I did! She came out to the shop last night and gave it her approval!

Attachments

Doesn't look like it ever had a soft top on it as there is no header channel or snap strips down the sides or back.

However it has the provisions for the doors.