• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

74 Scout II -

TKneese42

Well it's time to start a thread for the 1974 Scout II rebuild. Bought it at a swap meet in my hometown. It has an amc 258 l6, which is perectly adequate, since this Scout belongs to my 16-year-old daughter who is a natural-born adrenaline junkie. Michael mayben rebuilt the carburetor (I'm so glad I met him!!). After we drove it once, I started taking it apart & that's the direction it's gone since. Until I started this project, most of my mechanical experience has been limited to lawn mowers & tractors, so please be patient with me here. Also most of my best photos went on a one-way trip to mexico with my pick-up & my lap-top in February '2012, so I'm a little limited in the show-and-tell department.

Here's the interior on day 1:

Here's my daughter's idea of what her Scout should look like when it's finished:

Last edited:

TKneese42

Re: 74 Scout II - Body-off Rebuild

I went looking in the local salvage yard for a replacement bed & figured out that the raised ribs of a 1980's-looking Ford bed had the same o.c. Dimensions as a Scout II bed. It cost $35. Here it is, up-side down gettin the gas tank bracket welded on:

This is a new back corner that I fabricated:

Tacking the Ford bed in place:

Bondo for the open ends in the front:

Before bed liner:

Last edited:

TKneese42

Replacing the front floor & bad spots on the rocker panels:

Rebuilding the front corner braces:

Last edited:

TKneese42

Chico, I've had a lot of opportunity to hone my welding skills. There was the usual rust on the floors, bed, rocker panels, etc. You can't see it in these pics, but the rear-right quarter panel & end-cap were wrecked & had to be replaced. I'm still posting pics from the last year or so of work. I'm actually getting the frame & axles ready to start re-assembling this project. I'm hoping to be finished in a few weeks.
Here's a peek at the body in the paint booth last week:

Can't use black bed liner in texas -too hot!

I'll keep adding pics as it progresses.

Last edited:

TKneese42

Re: 74 Scout II - Windshield

This Scout had an almost perfect windshield except For the chunk missing from the inside where the rear view mirror adhesive must have been stronger than the glass. I use a bunch of different kinds of adhesives & fillers in the my regular job, so I found what I thought would be the clearest I could get & repaired it myself (safelite people told me they don't do this kind of repair job).
Here's the windshield out of the frame:

Closeup:

This is the adhesive/filler I used. I think it's a polyester product, similar to bondo (smells a lot like it) that uses a very clear, liquid hardener. It's made for joining seams in granite countertops:

You have to really work it in to push out any voids. Then this stuff takes at least 20-25 minutes to set-up. At that point you can take a razor blade (hold it perpendicular to the glass) & scrape it flush with the glass.

The last step is to take steel wool & polish the surface -
it won't hurt the glass. This filler/adhesive cured with a lot of tiny air bubbles in it. Not too concerned in this case because this spot will be covered with the mirror. But, if I had do-overs here, I would have tried a 5-minute 2-part epoxy that dries clear. The 3m brand that I buy at a local lumber yard says it dries clear on the label. Maybe a better & cheaper fix?