• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

73 Scout ii Oil Pressure Pegged at HIGH

73 Cornbinder

73 Scout II with a 304 v8 automatic 4x4

I pulled the oil pan, changed the oil and filter, replaced the gasket and put everything back perfectly. Used 10w-40 with the proper amount per the manual. Everything prior to this was running well, just dripping oil from the pan.

Now my oil pressure is pegged at high. Dipstick shows proper levels of oil. Tried changing the filter to another new one (just in case) and it didn't work. The gauge is grounded properly. The sender was recently changed as well.

I read a few comments on other forums and it stated to drive it about 5 miles to get it warmed up so the oil will circulate and the pressure "should" go back to regular. It didn't. It didn't seem to be running hot after I got it back and checked on it but the dipstick was hotter than normal when checking the levels (which were still good)

thoughts???

Scoutboy74

First thought is, don't panic just yet. I wouldn't trust the stock gauges, especially in a new to you vehicle that you are still working bugs out of. The stockers don't tell you much even when they are working properly. How are the temp and fuel gauges behaving?
Next thought is, get an aftermarket "wet" op gauge hooked up. Something with some numbers on the face. Be really careful with the vinyl tubing for the sender. It is very delicate and easily kinked and melted. Copper tubing is much preferred for a permanent installation. Post back when you have some op number readings.

73 Cornbinder

Temp and fule gauges are reading perfectly. Going to try to redo the pcv valve, trying a new sender. Will try those and if I strike out, ill move on to an op gauge...most likely going to do the op gauge regardless.
Thanks for the recommendations.:icon_up:

FDChappie

You could start by seeing what the gauge reads with the key in the accessory position. I had a bad sender once that would read 1/4 on the scale with the engine off.

Scoutboy74

Another thing to know about these engines is that they are not known for having high oil pressure. 60 psi on a cold engine is about the max and certainly not the norm. The IH lubrication system is more about volume and flow than pressure. A much more common issue is to see too little pressure. That condition is real cause for concern. So to see a stock op gauge pegging out the high side...yeah, I'm pretty dubious that it is a real representation of what's actually going on with your oil. Anything is possible, but that would be so rare that it almost isn't even worth considering.

Greg R

The gauge is grounded properly. The sender was recently changed as well.
Could you explain grounding the gauge? Would you know the ohm range of the "new" sender. It looks like some minor electrical deal is going on.