• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

72 Scout II water Temp Running at 220

Good Day,

My scout has a 304 and recently started running with the water temp around 220 instead of the 180 it normal ran. I replaced the radiator about 6 months ago with a dual core aluminum and recently replaced the Thermo with a 180deg after it started running warmer. The water pump appears to be working fine and I have no leaks so I'm kind of at a lose on what to look at next.

I would appreciate and advice you could provided.

Thanks,
Sam

Zaedster

Future Owner of IH Parts America
Hi,

What brand thermostat did you buy? Robertshaw? Have you tested the valve in some boiling water to see if it opens all the way?

Thanks

Hi,

What brand thermostat did you buy? Robertshaw? Have you tested the valve in some boiling water to see if it opens all the way?

Thanks
Hi Zeadster,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's a Robert shaw and I did put it in boiling water to verify it fully opens.

DF Sales&Marketing

Oil Tech Moderator
You might have some corrosion in the engine. If you replaced the radiator and thermostat and verified that it is opening, the only things left are the water pump or partially blocked water passage, one other thing might be your temperature gauge.
I suggest adding a bottle of RMI-25 Cooling System Treatment to clean out the system. It is available on the IHPA parts section under Lubricants.

Scoutboy74

I take it you have an aftermarket temperature gauge installed to be seeing these numbers? Is there any chance it could be an instrument issue? Are there other indications that the engine is running hot besides what the gauge is indicating?

dkminors

You may want to check to be sure you have proper fan clearance and shrouding for your new radiator. When I switched over to aluminum I had to abandon the mechanical fan due to a lack of clearance and even then had to switch out to better electric fans to get the same level of cooling I had in the past. The cheap Chinese fans provided by the radiator mfg. just didn't cut it.

If you are mostly driving on the freeway it may not be as important vs. if you are driving more in the city or off road.