• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

64 international scout 80 project

Fixerupper

Wanted to reach out to you guys for some guidance, I have a 1964 international scout 80 I just picked up out of the barn. It appears to be in good condition, the gentleman said he had it running a year and a half ago but we could not get it started. I brought a new battery with me, doesn’t seem like I can get the engine to roll over. Starter? I will forward some pictures of the body but it seems to be in decent condition there’s some surface rust on the floor pans. A few dents and dings. The doors don’t sit flush to body. The electrical is all working. I have a lot of trouble shooting to do. I’m not looking to do anything crazy, want to get it running do a slight lift and 31 inch tires and wheels. I will take everything apart and prep for paint. Wondering if I need to do anything to the dean at 27 axle in order to accomplish what I want. I will try and get some pictures up soon. I know enough to get myself in trouble, I am not claiming to be a mechanic so that is why I am reaching out to the pros for guidance

Scoutboy74

Does it make any noises all when you turn the key...clicks or clunks, or just total silence? Have you tried shorting across terminals at the starter solenoid? Be certain the trans is out of gear before trying. If you can get it to turn over by shorting across terminals, then the issue could be your ignition switch or the associated wiring between the switch and the solenoid up to and including any junction points. You just need to trace your way methodically from the power source to the ignition switch and all the way back out to the solenoid if need be. You want to spend some time performing logical diagnostics before going with the repair by braille method of throwing parts at it like mud against a wall hoping something will stick. That can get expensive in a hurry and if your replace more than one thing at a time, you may not know which part was actually the culprit.

Fixerupper

So it will just click, if I try and turn the ignition too many times but if I let it sit for a while it will actually crank for 2 or 3 seconds but not fire.

Scoutboy74

That's sounding more like poor and/or corroded connections at some point. Your connections from the battery on down to the starter solenoid and everywhere else need to be clean and snug. A new battery won't do much for you if the battery cables and clamps look like they've been through a nuclear holocaust. So have a good look at all that stuff and make sure everything is chrome bright and tight. Nothing frayed, ugly or dog poop looking. Take connections apart and clean the contact surfaces where needed.

Wazoo

Hey guys, I just inherited a 64 Scout 80 that has been garage stored for 30+ years. I, like Fixerupper, know enough to get my self in trouble. Yesterday I spent the day trying to get it to start. I pre-lubed the cylinders by putting Marvels Mystery oil in the sparkplug holes as I replaced them, poured the same over the rocker assembly, and hand-cranked the engine with a breaker bar. I replaced the battery and was able to get it turnover! Now I cannot get it to fire. Positive wire to the coil has a charge, but I did not get a spark out of the coil. I replaced the coil as I thought it must be bad, but that did nothing. Any ideas on how to progress? I won't be able to get back to this for a week, but I would like to have a plan of attack for my next effort.