• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

392 won't start

73travelall

I have a 1973 International Travelall with the 392 and stock ignition. It has a new distributor, points, starter, spark plugs and plug wires. It last ran over a year ago and when it quit it would idle and rev fine in park but as soon as you put it in drive and take off it would start cutting out and run really rough with an intermittent miss. If I pumped the throttle and put it in park, after stopping of course, I could sometimes get it to smooth out, but if I put it in drive it would act up again. I ended up having it towed home and I started it hoping I could drive it into the garage to work on it. It started fine, I put it in drive and it started forward, I made it about 15 feet before it cut out and died. Ever since then it will not even fire and I've put a voltage meter on the coil and have found that I am only getting about 8-9 volts at the coil. I have tried to run a new wire from the starter to the coil to see if that is the issue with no change. I even put at wire from the battery to the coil to see if it would show 12V but it still only shows the 8-9 volts. Any thoughts on what to check/do is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
If you have checked all other items, I would install a new condenser.

To answer your voltage question. If you still have the oem resistance (wire or ballast resistor) between the ignition switch and the positive coil terminal, with the ignition on and the points closed, you should read roughly what you got for voltage 8-9 on the positive coil terminal. If the points are open, you will see full battery voltage there.

73travelall

Ok. I'll check and make sure the points aren't suck closed but the voltage doesn't exceed the 8-9 volts as I have someone try and start it. It does have the original resistor wire to the ignition.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
I definitely recommend verifying that you see battery voltage
(~12v) at the pos. coil terminal with the points open. I have seen people hook the choke heater wire to the coil. Not a good thing.

73travelall

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get back to it yet with work and being busy last weekend. I should get some time to work on it later this well and I'll let you know.