• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

34 Hot Rod Pickup

jetfxr

Jeff and the fellows from ihon have been very very good to me so I thought I would do a build thread here. So here goes, this is a chopped and channeled 34 International c1 pickup. For the motor I will be using a 304 IH block over bored to fit 392 standard bore pistons. The reason for the power plant selection is the shorter stroke of the 304 will spool up faster and besides I wanted something cool for the truck. I will start this off with a few pictures of the truck as I got started, note my plan is to have this ready for the summer IH shows.

In the first set of pictures you see the truck before the chop and channel. You will also see I used a transverse leaf spring and dropped axle to give the truck a real hot rod look.

Attachments

jetfxr

The frame on my truck is boxed, we also ran conduits thru both sides for wiring. For rear suspension I used coil over shocks and four linked the axle. I also used hairpins on the front axle for the hotrod look.

In these pictures you see what we have done with the bed, it is shortened to four feet. Also changed the wheel wells, to fit the pie pan slicks that I will be using.

Attachments

jetfxr

Ok here's a look at the cab after the chop and channel. Also the wooden floor was replaced with a steel floor, the channel sets the cab completely over the frame. Also you see the grill shell is chopped down to match the cab.

Attachments

jetfxr

Here are a few pictures of the headers, I had flanges made up then used a kit for making your own headers for a bb Chevy. I'll let you guys judge the look, they are just plane cool. Also you see the cool motor mounts that will be used on the hot rod. In these pictures you can also see the wheels and tires for the truck. Sorry about the sun blasting through the window.

Attachments

jetfxr

Sense the truck will not have a hood or sides around the motor bling is very important, the parts list includes dui distributor, gear drive starter, roller rockers, rpt manifold, rpt motor and transmission mounts, of corse lots of steel bradded lines and a wilwood master cylinder.

Attachments

jetfxr

I will be using a site gage for the oil level. I have one on my SSII and it's a cool way to keep tabs on the oil level. Here are a couple pictures first one is the SSII the second is a site gage I snagged from fleabay.

Attachments

Last edited:

jetfxr

Here is the grill shell all painted, I have the stainless trim over to the chrome shop now. They are smoothing it out and polishing it up. I had the mesh powder coated satin black and when the trim is done I'll get it together for inspiration. You can also see the triple diamond badge, there is a fellow repoping these in australia, a little spendy but well worth the investment as this will be the "diamond" on the front of the truck.

Attachments

jetfxr

Here's a better picture of the truck, you can see the stance, I will be taking more pictures as I tear the truck down for paint and powder coat, thats where I am at this point.

Attachments

jetfxr

I found this picture on the web and I used it as my inspiration.:icon_mrgreen: very good looking truck I am hoping mine looks as good with real IH power.

Attachments

MarkO

I like what you are doing.

I particularly like the fact you are going to be using 'binder power.

It really bugs me to see a really nice ride that compromises on bowtie or blue oval power because they are "cheaper".

I mean, really, come on.

When one spends $$$$$ on a hot rod how much extra does it cost extra to build up a power package from the oem instead of a power package from bowtie or blue oval?

jetfxr

In keeping with the old school hotrod, I scored these hub caps on fleabay. I think they will be just cool on my truck. I will be taking them over to the chrome shop to have them cleaned up and plated.

I have most all the the parts collected, I will be picking up the transmission tomorrow. I had the case glass beaded then clear powder coated. After the case was done I had my transmission guy rebuild it with a firm shift kit, and a 2000 rpm stall converter, should be great for this truck. I have the bed off and am starting the body work to get it painted as soon as I can

Attachments

jetfxr

Well all the metal and mock up work is done. I started tearing the truck down for paint and powder coating. It is a little chilly here in montana, that is when the project see a lot of progress. I am looking forward to blasting around in my truck this spring, I think this truck will smoke my wife's ls1 powered Scout:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments

jetfxr

Well time for an update, started the engine build up. This is a 304 over bored to except 392 pistons, lots of head work done, and it will be sporting an rpt aluminum four barrel manifold. I have also installed roller rockers from murphy's machine shop. So here where I got to by the end of my day.

And this is just cool if I do say so myself, :icon_cool:

Attachments

jetfxr

Time to update the build, the frame is fully boxed and you can see the cross members added for the more powerful v8. Also in this picture you see the rear cross member for the rear suspension. The frame was a little rough but is now ready for the powder coat.

Attachments