• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

3/8" fuel supply line for dual tanks in a 71 Scout 800B

Rentalman

Hi, I hope you all are staying safe out there. I've got a 1971 800B that I've done a upgraded frame off rebuild on a few years back. When I started this build back in the day I knew nothing of TBI for these engines (my mistake, I would have deleted the dual tanks and added a tank in the rear). Right now I have a rebuilt 304 that I want to add fuel injection to. The 2-barrel pulls 17 lbs of vacuum and runs great after it warms up for at least 15 minutes. Will a TBI mounted on these engines allow you to drive off in 5 minutes and run like a modern day car? From earlier email discussions with Bill Hamilton I've learned I need to run a 6-way valve to use my dual poly tanks. I've also learned I need to add a 3/8" fuel supply line to each tank. Has anyone done this before? I'm not sure what the correct way is to tackle this project? I'm thinking of drilling a 3/8" hole in the tank upside down to prevent debris from falling in, cutting 3/8" metal fuel line to length and adding a 90 deg fitting for fuel supply. What I'm not sure of is how to seal the hole around the the fuel line where it enters the tank so gas and fumes don't spill out. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

Rentalman

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I have the poly tanks, do they have a drain plug at the bottom. I don't recall? Also is there a night and day difference in performance with the TBI? Reason I ask is I recently picked up a non running 74 Scout II (California minimal rust body) with a 345, 727, Dana 20T-case, with Dana 30 & 44. My intention was to swap with a 5.3 or 6.0 L engine. What holds me back is once you pull the IH engine out in my opinion it is no longer a IH Scout. I will start a separate forum on this question to get others feed back as well.

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
I believe you are correct in that plastic tanks do not have a drain plug. I'd have to get back with you on that one and see if we have done a conversion in-house with plastic tanks.

I think there is a big difference in performance but the overall difference will be dictated by how well your current carburetor is tuned. Personally, I'll take a well built, well tuned IH engine with EFI over a LS engine. But I will say those LS powered Scouts can be a hoot to drive especially when they are putting out north of 300 horsepower with 300 plus less pounds of iron over the front axle.

Rentalman

Well what got me back on thinking of keeping this Scout IH powered was watching you with your Scout taking on Alaska in the 2019 Ultimate Adventure, impressive!

ihpartsjeff

Administrator & Owner
Staff member
Thank you! Over 7500 miles in 18 days averaging 10 mpg. Ran that engine very hard that trip and it is ready to do it again. We will be returning to Ultimate Adventure 2020 later in the year, however the location will not be Alaska, just somewhere in the lower 48 states.

I've also put over 60000 miles on my 392 powered Travelall. I did have to replace the engine once due to a bad build, but have been running it hard ever since. Many of those miles have been towing miles too.