• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

1965 Scout 80 Brake Question

Bige1967

New to this forum and in the process of doing some mechanical restoration to my 1965 Scout 80. As part of the process, I am planning on replacing the brake shoes and hoses. The drums and master are all in good working order. I noticed the front shoes can be either 9x2 or 10x2 and the rears either 9x2 or 11 x 1 3/4. Is there any way to know what they are without taking the wheels off and brakes apart to measure.

As a side note, it is bone stock, has been garaged its whole life and has 67k original, documented miles, so it if 1965 Scout 80's only had one type of brake shoe, then that's what it would be.

Thank you in advance for any info!!!

Greg R

You can get what is known as an LST or Line Set Ticket. It is a build sheet that lists the original components assembled on the vehicle when it left the factory. I highly recommend one for anyone wishing to know what their Scout originally came with, and is a good starting point for restoration or mods. If your Scout is bone stock as you say, it will be valuable. Check here at IHPA for one.

Bige1967

Thank you for the quick response. I actually have the original LST but its a bit faded. Also have pretty much every piece of paper ever associated with the vehicle including warranty card, original bill of sale, trade in slip for the 1953 IH pickup, etc. It was purchased new by my grandparents and gifted to me about 15 yrs ago. Still has the original black plates as well.

I will purchase a clean LST from this site based on your advice. Much appreciated.

Greg R

Provenance! That's pretty cool. Post some pictures if you can. There aren't many stock OEM Scouts left, in a collector's world papers and docs can add value as well.

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
The large brakes were included on the Scouts with the D44 rear axle, RA-23 and RA-9. Also with the bigger springs and 4.88 R&P.

Bige1967

Thank you guys for the quick responses and extremely helpful info. I'll post some pics in the member ride section when I get around to it.

Attachments

Greg R

X2 That is impressive. It looks like the one that got me interested in Scouts; and "missed it by that much". It was on the street with a for sale sign for $1200. I was on my way to work and before I could arrange cash at the credit union and call, it sold already. Barely 2 hours passed. One owner, the daughter was selling it.