• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

1964 Travelall Oil

Have a stock v8 in my Travelall.
I use valvoline straight 30wt.

Recently I have noticed the oil pressure gauge registering on the lower side ... Well lower than it used to register.

Should I switch to a thicker viscosity?
What flavor oil do you all like to recommend?
Might be my gauge, but I suspect it isn't.

Thanks

Scoutboy74

I first recommend connecting at least on a temporary basis, a reliable wet gauge that will give you some numerical reference for establishing a pressure base line for your engine both hot and cold. Your stock gauges are 50 years old and not to be trusted blindly.
How long has it been since your last lof? Does this employ a canister filter or a more modern spin-on design? If its the latter, what brand are you using?
Straight 30wt oil was the standard for these engines back in the day. Multi-viscosity motor oils offer many advancements in lubrication technology over old tech single vis. 20w-50 is about the closest thing in a multi-vis to straight 30wt. The 50 in 20w-50 does not mean that it is 50wt oil, despite what some might incorrectly claim. There is no need to go any heavier than 30wt or 20w-50 in these engines. At best that would only temporarily mask a larger issue if there even is one.

DF Sales&Marketing

Oil Tech Moderator
Hi Matt

once you have determined that you do not have a problem with your oil sending unit (they do fail without warning, as mine did last month on a 9 year old vehicle), the next thing to consider could possibly be the length of time on the oil you have in the engine since the last oil change, the ambient temperature, and possibly fuel dilution....fuel dilution is very common in carbureted engines and can usually be seen on the dipstick by sight and/or smell, or a noticeable increase in the oil level on the stick.

Scoutboy's response about the sending unit and the oil viscosity covers a good part of what should be researched, with keeping in mind two things: the 30wt oil which was recommended back when the unit was new was the best there was at the time. Since then, multi-weight oils, such as 15w40 or even 20w50 (as he suggested) are the best to use now as they will give more protection over a wider temperature range. With you living in long beach, CA, either one of those weights would be many times better than the straight 30 weight you are using. Secondly; there was a major change in oil additives in all pcmo applications, namely the lowering of the zddp in the oil as mandated by the epa in 2007. It would be best if you would go to an oil which is rated "sl" instead of "sm or sn" as the newer sm, sn rated oils are not good for flat tappet cam engines.

The sl rated oils are harder to come by, but the "swepco" brand, which is used by many for high quality, and more protection, than even the other sl rated oils. It is the choice of IHPA, and is available through their "lubricants" section.

Some people also use what is commonly referred to as "diesel oil" which will carry the cj-4 rating...it will only have a limit of
<1200> ppm of zddp, whereas the swepco 306 (sl) in the 15w40 as well as the 20w50 contains <1700ppm>

in reviewing your "fleet" of vehicles, you might also consider using an sl rated oil in all of them, except for the tesla.

Hope that helps!