• To ALL forum users - As of late I have been getting quite a few private messages with questions about build ups here on the forum, or tech questions about your personal project. While I appreciate the interest, sending me a private message about these topics distracts from, and undermines the purpose of having a forum here. During the day I wear many hats as a small business owner-operator and I work tirelessly to provide the absolute best service possible to you, our valued customer. When I created this forum I rounded up some of the best minds I knew so that any tech question you might have could be asked and answered by either myself or one of my highly experienced moderators, this way the next time this same question is asked the answer can be easily found and utilized by the next IH enthusiast having the same question. This allows me the freedom to run the day to day operations of the business and minimize the impact to shipments and shop activities that these distractions can cause. It is of the up most importance for me to complete the daily tasks in order to best take care of you our customer, all the while providing you a forum to get the level advice and input you have come to expect and deserve from the premier IH shop in the country.

So with that I ask that anyone with a question about one of our build ups or a general tech question to please use the forum as it was intended. I am absolutely available by telephone to answer your questions as well but at times may direct you back to our website to better field your question or questions. Most other private messages I will be glad to answer for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Ismail
    Owner/Operator

1904 Carb with flooding issues

suprhonda

Hey!

I am working on a 1904 on a Judson Supercharged car. I can get the car to Idle, and start, but as soon as the throttle opens, it floods out. It looks like there is fuel coming from the main metering nozzle in that space cut out for the choke. It also seems to be coming from the accelerator pump even after I have stopped moving the throttle, and I am moving the throttle very slowly just to open a little bit.

I see some 1904 Carbs for sale at IH America, but, the choke set up looks different than the one I have.
https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/DPC-CHV.html

I don't know if this will fit? Are they all the same bases and air horn size?

Also, I did read that this was repairable before by a fix to the poppet on the Economizer. I don't think this is done any more? I do have capability of doing fine machining if needed, if there was some direction in how this was done before, I could possibly re create this repair. But again, I would like to know if my symptoms are actually a poppet problem. I was able to test the power valve with Vacuum pump and see that it does lift with just under 5 inches, and holds as well.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Robert Kenney

Super Moderator
@ idle if you are getting fuel out of the main nozzle or the accelerator pump discharge, you most likely have an leaking float valve. Easy for debris to get in the way of it sealing off and the fuel bowl will over flow.

If you have an economizer it open all of the time, the worst you'll have it just a tad of richness at low throttle settings. The econo jet is parallel to the main jet.

Also make sure the main metering block is flat. Common for they to be overtightened thus warping the block. This can cause internal passages to mix. There could be a whole myriad of symptoms.

There are a couple of possible 1904 bore sizes along with a respectively larger bolt pattern.

I would just rebuild the 1904 you have. Jeff should be able to get you a kit.

We don't do the econo refit any more. :frown5: Sorry.

suprhonda

Hey Robert.

Thank you for your help. Turns out I was looking park intermittently on random cyl due to a poor grounding issue. I believe this caused the car to run rich as it miss fired just off idea. Very strange problem.

Is there any way I could find out the details of the economic issue and help people out by doing the repair myself for people? I can find some pictures of the repair on Google images, but the actual old threads are gone from the forums. At least my computer won't load them.