IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Provience

Member Number: 1196
Default Re: It ran...for a minute

Good to know regarding the fuel intank life. It looks like I will need to stock up on stabilizer.

Pulled the carb off yesterday and did a quick clean with aerosol carb cleaner and compressed air. I didn't want to soak it because I the gaskets and such are only a couple months old and only stuck to one half of the body instead of ripping in two. Also while I had the carb apart I figured out how the thermostatic choke and fast idle linkage hook up and now have a functioning choke.

As soon as it got fuel, the truck fired right up! Cold idle oil psi was 40, so it seems like the pump rebuild worked. After another minute of running, my wife looked up horrified and told me to shut it off. The fuel pump had developed a massive leak and was pumping gas out from where the body was crimped together another victim of bad gas and long sitting it seems.

Picked up another fuel pump from the lights and oil store (surprisingly had on shelf) and charged the battery.

Today, fired right up!!! And after some idle adjustment seems to be doing okay. I am letting it run out front right now, trying to burn through that gas (smells horrible coming out the tailpipe)

thank you for all your help and advice along the way, now I can work on things aside from the motor.

Also today I went to dmv for an unrelated issue and decided to find out what was needed to get the Scout street legal again, turns out they want $650.00 just for registration and penalties and I need to do a lien sale because it was abandoned after being salvaged from an accident

now I just need to decide if I should just green sticker it instead and go a different direction with the project.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by provience View Post
also today I went to dmv for an unrelated issue and decided to find out what was needed to get the Scout street legal again, turns out they want $650.00 just for registration and penalties and I need to do a lien sale because it was abandoned after being salvaged from an accident

now I just need to decide if I should just green sticker it instead and go a different direction with the project.
Oh the joys of kalifornikate auto rejustrashun, huh? that suks!
Organ Donor - '72 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - seized 392/TF727/7500# GVW - "Use my body to keep you alive!"
Mongo - '71 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/4.10 RA17/6100# GVW - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Provience

Well they definately don't want you to revive anything. If I ohv it then at least I won't have to fix the bodywork/lights/mirrors!

After letting it idle for a while, I was feeling bold and figured I would try and make it down to ihon in Loomis to compare my wiring mess with a wiring mess on one of the mules you have down there. Didn't make it.

Idle, acceleration, deceleration were all smooth after idleing for about 30 minutes. I was not having any issue maintaining speed at all.

Stopped at probably the fourth stop sign and the motor when all the way past idle to dead. It would turn over, but wouldn't fire, so I pushed it off to the side of the road and opened the hood. The fuel filter before the carb and after the mech pump was roughly 1/4 full, not bad. The under hood temperature was hot, I do not have a functioning temp gauge or an infrared thermometor (May get one today) so I left the hood open.

I tried to start the motor, it would only turn over with a maximum of one fire if I worked the gas pedal. Called for a ride and let the Scout sit for about ten minutes. Tried to start again just for kicks and it fired right up no problems.

I do have the appropriate carb base gasket with the heat dam, but I do believe that fuel percolation was the problem. Might just be the bad gas coupled with a high under hood temp decided to give up on me. This weekend it looks like I will be draining the tank and trying again with some fresh fuel.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #19
Provience

WOW! This poor thing has been sitting for 10 years!

oddly enough, I happen to have a propane setup from another project taking up space at the moment. that might be just what the old scout needs to be happy

well, surely a full freshen up as well at this point lol