IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #31
RobertC

Member Number: 517
Default Re: The "Fuel Tank" Thread

Putting gas in the pass side on my t/a can be a bit of a problem -- mostly getting the "flap" to seal and not dribble gas down the outside.

The first "issue" is the 90 degree bend -- you have to insert the nozzle far enough in -- pointing down as much as possible -- to prevent gas from hitting the "back" of the pipe and triggering the "auto-shutoff" in the pump.

There are a few versions of the nozzle out there. On one "short version", I had better "luck" with positioning the nozzle "upside down" -- gas pump hose coming "down from the top".

In CA, "they" are putting a new "short version" nozzle on the gas pumps.

This seems to be a little "harder" -- I am starting to think there is some "kind of switch" in the "flapper" and gas will not flow until it "seals correctly". I have had to "reposition" the nozzle even on the rear tank to get the gas to flow.

On the pass side tank, positioning the nozzle at about 45 degrees from the bottom seems to help. I also have to use more pressure to hold the nozzle in because the "seal" mechanism / rubber is a lot shorter than the previous version.

Also, it seems like for this new style nozzle (and pump?), the gas pumps slightly slower.... Than the older versions.
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #32
mcsmythe

Member Number: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
I'll play devils advocate here regarding the fuel carrying capacity of the s80. They hold 20 gallon and that is a lot of gas for a 4 banger. I can use 18 of it in my 65' by running one to the bottom and at 16 mpg I can go almost 300 miles. In short I really like the 80 tank arrangement and the fact that it is oe is nice

my 61 had the factory dual tanks but no selector. That was quickly changed though and a second sender added with a spdt switch in the dash.

I never have any issues filling the tanks but I do have to direct the filler nozzle to the rear of the opening and use half the full flow rate to fill.

The warn od is a great addition to the baby Scout by the way to aid in fuel economy.
I fully agree. I think the oem saddle setup is great and 300miles is nothing to slouch at. I would however like to consider options to add some capacity other than jerrycans. I plan on spending 1-2weeks living out of the Scout out in the middle of the forest/reservation and will not have access to a filling station. Do you happen to know if a warn od unit can be used if there is an existing front pto driven winch? I'd like to consider a warn but not at the expense of the winch.

Also, is that a monza in your avitar? I used to have a very nice vega back in the day.

1961 Scout 80 half-top, 152, Weber DGV, T14, Spicer18 with Ramsey 8000# PTO winch, front Dana 27 with PowerLok, rear Dana 44 with Detroit, and multiple gun racks..............

Last edited by mcsmythe; 06-16-2009 at 08:49 AM..
mcsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #33
TBC

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hc72 View Post
im thinking of getting rid of my driverside tank since it is a real pain in the butt to fill.would I be able to drop in a older Chevy, dodge or Ford tank in between the frame rails. Im thinking if a 35 gallon tank in the rear. Is this possible?
My '68 800 only has a drivers side saddle tank. So I was going to order the passenger side and all
the applications to make that work. However because of the constant filling problems at the
fuel stations I've decided to relocate the filler and place a larger single tank between the frame rails
in the rear as well.
I was going to have a tank built, but, a friend of mine has a tank from a Bronco II that he has givin
me. We've done some measuring and test fitting and come to the conclusion that the Bronco II
tank (23 gal) is about and 1/8" to big. So it will require some trimming.
I'll keep you posted on how it works out. Still got some planning to do so don't expect anything soon.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #34
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmythe View Post
I plan on spending 1-2weeks living out of the Scout out in the middle of the forest/reservation and will not have access to a filling station.
You do have special requirments so extended capacity is nice.

Quote:
Do you happen to know if a warn od unit can be used if there is an existing front pto driven winch? I'd like to consider a warn but not at the expense of the winch.
Sorry, no. If you have already populated the rear auxilery transfercase pad of the d18 then you cannot run a warn od.

For me the splitter function of the od is priceless but then I don't have a use for the winch.

Quote:
Also, is that a monza in your avitar? I used to have a very nice vega back in the day.
Yes, it is a 75-79 monza but slightly modified into a blown alcohol nostalgia funny car. Engine goes in tonight. Hope to make the chrr in bakersfield in October.

A buddy of mine is building a vega funny right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (152.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg Vics_Vega_2.jpg (100.7 KB, 329 views)

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 06-18-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #35
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

Quote:
Do you happen to know if a warn od unit can be used if there is an existing front pto driven winch? I'd like to consider a warn but not at the expense of the winch.
Yes, actually it can. You have to buy an overdrive/pto aluminum adapter. You can get this from herm the overdrive guy as well as any parts you would need for your overdrive and pto. You will also have to make a trip to six states to get a longer shaft for your pto. This is what I'll be doing once the engine gets rebuilt and stuffed back in....

Link here:

pto adapter kit details

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #36
mcsmythe

Member Number: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldimock View Post
yes, actually it can. You have to buy an overdrive/pto aluminum adapter. You can get this from herm the overdrive guy as well as any parts you would need for your overdrive and pto. You will also have to make a trip to six states to get a longer shaft for your pto. This is what I'll be doing once the engine gets rebuilt and stuffed back in....

Link here:

pto adapter kit details
Sweet, thanks. Time to start saving for an od.

1961 Scout 80 half-top, 152, Weber DGV, T14, Spicer18 with Ramsey 8000# PTO winch, front Dana 27 with PowerLok, rear Dana 44 with Detroit, and multiple gun racks..............
mcsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #37
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Good info.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #38
cornfed

Member Number: 985

I am about to begin fabricating a gas tank for my 1210 and was wondering what the best way to vent it would be. I was planning on venting each of the top corners of the tank with the vent outlets coming to a central location, much like the nwmp tanks. Does the tubing running on the inside of the tank need to be capped with some sort of "blocker" to prevent the fuel from sloshing into the vent system or do I leave them open. Also, what would be the appropriate size to use? Would 1/4" suffice? I was also going to add a larger vent on the filler neck as well. Any thoughts on how to properly vent a tank? This will be a carburated application with possible FI in the future. Thanks
cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #39
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

The vent penetration in the tank itself should be "baffled" in some manner...and should be in the absolute highest point of the container itself. Running it into some sort of "air gap" mounted remotely is an excellent idea provided it is of sufficient size. 1/2" would be great...or at least two in minimum 5/16" tube to achieve sufficient cross-sectional area.

The oem vent tube in the filler neck assembly is sufficient, as it runs back into the tank to direct fuel overflow in a contained manner. On older vehicles, the filler vented to the ground.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #40
TBC

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
the vent penetration in the tank itself should be "baffled" in some manner...and should be in the absolute highest point of the container itself. Running it into some sort of "air gap" mounted remotely is an excellent idea provided it is of sufficient size. 1/2" would be great...or at least two in minimum 5/16" tube to achieve sufficient cross-sectional area.

The oem vent tube in the filler neck assembly is sufficient, as it runs back into the tank to direct fuel overflow in a contained manner. On older vehicles, the filler vented to the ground.
Yea, what he said.

I am by far, not an expert in this field. The Bronco tank is a trial and error project/idea. I hope it will work but could very well blow up in me face. Hopefully not literaly.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #41
antonsone

Member Number: 1639

Anyone ever install a new fuel pick up on a plastic stock size tank? I just put in a autometer fuel sending unit and it does not have a fuel pick up line attached. Thanks.

79' Scout II 304
Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #42
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsone View Post
anyone ever install a new fuel pick up on a plastic stock size tank? I just put in a autometer fuel sending unit and it does not have a fuel pick up line attached. Thanks.

79' Scout II 304
Aftermarket fuel level senders such as supplied by autometer and others are not intended to be an exact replacement unit for an oem sender. They will not have the "dip tube" for fuel liquid pickup as part of their design. They are intended for generic installation in marine tanks, auxiliary tanks, etc. That use a separate dip tube/feed to the fuel pump.

It might be possible to fabricate a dip tube assembly and install in that sender if there is sufficient clearance. Post a pic of both sides and I'll look at it. Otherwise, a separate dip tube will have to be fabbed and installed in some safe manner.

Are you also installing the companion autometer fuel gauge? The autometer fuel gauge and it's companion/matching sender are powered directly from switched b+ and cannot be run from the oem constant voltage regulator (cvr) instrument reference signal on the oem sii instrument pod.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #43
antonsone

Member Number: 1639

I connected all of my new sensors into the old harness, is the issue with the cvr that you just mentioned evident?

Also I might try and install a bung on the lower side or top and dismantle my old fuel pickup and drop it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0563.jpg (47.2 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0045.jpg (59.1 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0047.jpg (61.7 KB, 408 views)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #44
Michael Mayben

The oem cvr is mounted on the rear of the oem temp/oil pressure gauge pod and connected to the oem fuel gauge through the oem instrument harness and printed circuit boards.

So after seeing your setup which requires b+ for gauge power and does not involve the oem cvr, it should be correct if the sending unit is the proper resistance range match for the fuel level gauge. I believe the autometer gauge requires the companion "0>90 ohm" sender,...the oem sender won't work with that aftermarket gauge since it's resistance range is different. The isspro aftermarket gauges we sell here at ihon do use the oem resistance range, so the oem fuel sender can be used with those, that is why we handle that line.

So what you are doing is simply using the oem body harness/wire to connect the replacement sender to the replacement gauge, that will work fine as long as the grounds are rigged properly for both the sender and the gauges.

Likewise for the temp gauge, the oem engine sender is not the correct resistance value for the autometer gauge, so ya use the sender that came with the gauge which is the correct value.

Those aftermarket poly tanks use "spin-welded" bungs for the vent taps I believe. That is a process that can't be duplicated at home, but some rv shops can install those since the process is used on rv poly holding tanks and marine tanks. Most replacement rv tanks are "blanks" and the installer simply installs the penetrations/fittings where needed for each replacement.

Also, one of the poly tank "vent" bungs do I see at least two of those in the pics??) could possibly be adapted to mount a fabricated dip tube as long as it was done in a safe manner. I've not tried to do that but look at that and see if it's feasible.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #45
Korllach

Member Number: 1098

Mr. Mayben,

I got the aluminum dash panel and isspro gauge set from ihon.

I though I remembered Jeff saying that the fuel gauge from that set is compatable with the Scout II oem sender, but I am unclear.

Can you clarify if it is infact compatable? Or will I need to get a separate sender from isspro? I have not dropped the tank yet to hook it up so I am just checking to see if I will need extra hardware.

Thank you sir!
Korllach is offline   Reply With Quote