IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
dutka2678

Member Number: 5078
Default Paint spray gun

Has anyone ever used a devilbiss finishline® 4 solvent-based kit flg4? I am going to shoot primer,base clear. Was wondering if anyone could give me info on the gun? It is $175 comes with three tips. Or of any other gun around that price range that would be half decent. I am not trying to get a show look just not a bad look.
dutka2678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: Paint spray gun

I use a $25 harbor freight gun for my painting, I've used quite a few different primers and paints and almost every thing came out great, except the top for my Scout which since I was running low on paint was sprayed to dry and thin.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
dutka2678

I just spent a lot of money on paint and do not want to mess it up with a bad gun.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

In my experience, admittedly somewhat limited, there are many, many ways to mess up a paint job. The gun, if properly cleaned and adjusted, is not that big of a factor. One way to go is to buy the cheap gun for primer and if you don't like how it works buy the expensive one.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
codeman

Member Number: 2424

A buddy of mine just bought the flg 4 kit from eastwood. He's just learning how to spray. I started spraying when I was 15 doing tractors and have always (25 yrs.) sprayed my woodwork projects. I have 2 binks 2001 guns and a "cheap" craftsman hvlp. Believe it or not, the craftsman has been a good gun!!! I've had it 10 - 12 years and used the hell out if it!!!!

The flg 4 is a great kit!!!!! The fact it has 3 tips will allow you to use alot of different viscosity products. However, I wouldn't try to spray anything thicker than latex based interior house paint with the 1.8 tip. I've used it some to instruct him and I'm very pleased. The only recommendation I'd make is buy the water borne kit!!! Soon, the only kind of paint we'll be able to get is water based. The only difference in the guns is the cup. I've been pricing these myself recently and I think the eastwood kit is the best value. Iirc, it comes with a mini regulator that attaches at the air supply of the gun. Make sure you get a regulator!!!!! The better yuo get at finishing, the more you'll realize how important that is!!!!!
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

The paint gun choice is greatly influenced by what kind of paint you can buy and spray legally.
In California (los angeles county) solvent bourn paints like we used to use are harder and harder to buy and not legal to apply in most if not all automotive applications..

What is left is water bourn paint, that have to be applied in base/clear with the clear being a high quality solvent bourn product.. The situation May very possibly require 3 different guns. Primer / base / clear. The nozzle orifice being biggest to smallest. Even the gun internals are different for water. Stainless all around most times..

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
dutka2678

I have solvent paint
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Danny Phillips

Member Number: 1682

I've been using the harbor fright dual gun kit that are polished aluminum with purple nozzle screw and trim. This kit came with 2 nozzles (1.4 & 1.8 mm). I don't remember what the small gun has for a nozzle. The paint gun worked flawlessly for me. My problem was spraying epoxy primer and the temp was way to high so the primer practically dried before it hit the surface. I'm getting ready to paint my Scout II and dodge pickup. For the limited amount of time that I'm going to use the guns they work fine for me. Dan
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
dutka2678

hvlp spray gun kit

Is this the gun?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Danny Phillips

Member Number: 1682

That's the one, only mine came with metal cups but I use the plastic throw away ones. In fact my replacement cups are supposed to arrive today. Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
chprice

Member Number: 9248

3M Accuspray with PPS cups is hard to beat!
chprice is offline   Reply With Quote