IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Plasma cutter

I have had my small little 30a thermal dynamics plasma cutter for a number of years and has suited me well over the years(roughly 10 yrs now). But recently, in the last few years, I finally got to a point where I have pretty much out grew it. And my gas ax was causing me to spend too much time with clean up work using a grinder. Once I get my new tool, I will keep my rose bud attachment hooked up, to the gas ax, and use it for some bending. So, the research began, quietly in the back ground for a couple years. Along with deciding when to bite the bullet and pull the trigger to purchasing and upgrade. And for my b-day, I purchased myself a hypertherm powermax 85. With 25' hand held torch leads, a dust cover for when not in use, and a consumable kit. I also, ended up ordering the machine with a built in cpc port for hooking up to cnc plasma cutting table when the time comes.

I would have loved to get one of the two bigger units(pm105 or the pm125). But they both require 3 phase power. I currently only have single phase power. A phase converter is completely out of the question at the moment in my current situation. So please don't go there. At least until I move out of my current location. I'm happy and satisfied with my current choice.
Attached Images

74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904
Default Re: Plasma cutter

Congratulations! Very impressive!! The smaller powermax45 is still on my wish list!

If you can put the machine on a table or cart it really helps keep the dirt and grinding dust out of the machine. If you can keep it clean and dry it will last a long time!

1979 Scout II, 304, 727, 3.73, 31s, Spartan locker rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout-it-out View Post
congratulations! Very impressive!! The smaller powermax45 is still on my wish list!

If you can put the machine on a table or cart it really helps keep the dirt and grinding dust out of the machine. If you can keep it clean and dry it will last a long time!
Thank you.
I did order a cover for the unit when I placed my order, for when it's not being used. I will also need to build a new mobile cart for the new machine and my current welder. Even my current cart has been getting too small.

The pm45's are good machines from what I hear. I personally haven't used a hypertherm before. But everywhere I look and read, they are pretty much the dominant plasma cutter to get (through out their product line). And it's usa made . Granted, there are other manufacturers out there that make quality machines. But, because of where I work, I have a weakness for trying to get anything and everything that I purchase, to be made here states side

for me, I had thoughts of either that one or the pm65. But after some research and reviewing my needs in the last couple of years, along with a screaming deal once everything was said & done, I chose to go as big as I can afford - the pm85. Although, I would have loved to get either the pm105 or the pm125. But those require three phase power that I currently don't have. Patience, good timing, and checking out reviews of where one gets their equipment helps.

Once this new plasma cutter comes in, I May have to look into building(or getting) a cnc table for it sooner than planned. Talking with a friend last night, who works in a local boatyard, about all this, he turned and asked when I will be setup for it. And mentioned that he could send some leads my way through the boatyard. Gotta recover from the initial cost of the new cutter for a bit. So it will take some time with the finances to get to that point

btw - shipping due date foy my new tool is scheduled for Thursday next week
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
Scooter

Forgot to mention in my last reply.

Currently there's a manufacturer's rebate going on for the pm45. I believe it's $200 off at check out where ever you purchase the unit. Read up on it on hypertherm web site
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
Scooter

My new plasma cutter came in. Had to go out and pick up a plug for it. Once I had everything hooked up properly I fired it up and melted a small piece of 1/2" plate. Awesome. Cuts like butter. Cleaner and much faster than the gas ax. Now I need to build myself a cart for it. Granted, there is a cart available for purchase. But, where's the fun in that? Plus, the available cart lacks the brackets to hold all the leads and accessories.
Attached Images

72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Cool new tool. I used to run a pair of 250kw plasma torches to melt titanium.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Scooter

Thanks. Has been something I wanted to get for the last couple years. It will come in handy.

250kw? Must have been huge machines. Who made them? Not that I'm going to need something that powerful, well not yet anyway. But more curious about what's available
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
FDChappie

They are made right here in hopland by retec. Those are the medium sized ones. The big ones are 900kw. The power supply is as big as a small house.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Scooter

Cool. Don't think I have heard of them. Interesting stuff
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
FDChappie

The pam6 on the bottom of the page was my baby.

http://www.retechsystemsllc.com/research-development/
Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
Scooter

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Don't think I'll ever get into something that big. It's just interesting to see other units in play.
72 Scout II = SOLD