IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
BANoriega

Member Number: 1368
Default Lincoln vs miller?

Looking at getting either a lincoln 180 weldpack or miller 180. It will be my first personal welder so I want something that can assist me in getting into trouble with for years to come. I have a decent bit of welding and metal working experience. I have done some research and read something about lincoln using a board to ramp up power and miller using a coil to do the same and that a coil is much more heavy duty. Also considering a miller 211. I plan on mainly doing chassis, cage and structural welding and having the option to weld aluminum would be cool too. Not sure what my future holds as far as gauge of material. Could get pretty thick looking out to the future as I am a mechanical engineering student that that will be going for a graduates degree in automotive mechanical engineering and I am a diesel technician now so I see a lot of design and build in my future. Was curious what experiences everyone has and recommendations. Price is a factor as always but I don't mind saving a bit and steering some funds from the Scout if something ultimately stands out.

Thanks a lot everyone. Excited to hear from you all.

~:+:+:BLAKE:+:+:~
BANoriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: Lincoln vs miller?

I have a new hobart (owned by miller) handler 180 that I'm very happy with. Lots of flexibility for using different types of wire with and without gas. It replaced a low end 90 amp century (lincoln), compared to the century the hobart, using the same roll of wire, has a much smoother arc and much less spattering. The hobart also has a much higher duty cycle so now I don't spend most of my time waiting for the welder to cool down on big jobs.

Just a note these 180 amp welders will blow a 20a circuit breaker when run at full tilt.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904

The miller and lincoln are both good machines! Also the hobart as stated above. Don't get the "weldpak" or "easy mig" lincoln though. They are more cheaply built than the regular "sp" model. For I bottle I would look for a 20lb co2 on craigslist. I've found them for $80 before! Just make sure it doesn't have pepsi or coke stamped into the tank. Stickers don't matter. Most places won't fill the ones with the names on them.

1979 Scout II, 304, 727, 3.73, 31s, Spartan locker rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
ScoutBurton

Member Number: 1408

I would highly recommend the miller 180. I have a miller 175amp 220v that I've had for about 10 years and it has never let me down. I've used the crap out of it and have only had to replace the wire and refill the gas, nothing has ever broken on it! It welds really thick material easily. I've never had to turn it all the way up, even when welding 3/4" and 1" plate
Old 04-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
mikeindustries

Member Number: 5253

Ginger or maryanne?

I am a union pipefitter/welder. I have used them all. Pros and cons to all. Most modern units are capable of out welding the "hobby welder". Think about what features you need, what is the thickest material you will be working with, 120v or 220v input (I will always recommend 220), and finally your budget. Once you can answer those then shop for the machine and work a deal.

1968 Chrysler New Yorker-440ci-This ain't your grannys car!
mikeindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
BANoriega

Member Number: 1368

Hmmm.. Ok. My snap on rep is trying to sell me on one of their units. A little more than double what I was looking to spend with miller but also 100% duty cycle and can be used as mig, tig and spool. Anyone have experience with these units?

I'm leaning more toward the miller 211. Because it is both 110 and 220. A decent duty cycle and that's at its rating of 3/8. Really a strong machine. The way I look at it I'd rather have something stronger than what I would normally need and just reap the benefits of not having to let the machine cool as much because it's not even breaking a sweat.

~:+:+:BLAKE:+:+:~
BANoriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904

I'm not sure about the new ones but snap on welders for a long time were made by century. They just change the name on them. The miller is way better!

1979 Scout II, 304, 727, 3.73, 31s, Spartan locker rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
Scooter

Member Number: 917

I haven't used either of the two units mentioned, so I couldn't comment on it. I currently have a 220v(only) lincoln, which has suited my needs for awhile now. I have not needed the portability of any 110v unit. If it hasn't been suggested yet, there should be more discussions on the subject over on welding web. I lurk in the back ground on there often and have learned a lot.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Craig

Member Number: 5

Ok a bit late to the party

I bought the miller 210 and love the 110 or 220 feature.

I tossed their adapter cable and wired it with a 50' (blue of course) extension cord and installed switch to flip between 120 or 220.
Just plug in a short cable on the end to switch to 220

x2 220 machine is nice
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote