IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
mpanzar

Member Number: 8154
Question Dana 27 Spacer/End Play (open diff)

I recently rebuilt a Dana 27 using some spare parts had laying around. The original unit had a powelok but the spider gears are cross shafts were toast so I took an open diff from a front 27 that I had. After I installed everything I couldn’t get the end play right, in fact the play was probably around ˝”! I looked at another rear open 27 that I have and realized I was missing part 33 shown below. This is not included on the front diffs since its not required. Does anyone know of a source for this part?

mpanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39
Default Re: Dana 27 Spacer/End Play (open diff)

So # 33 slides over the gear pin , and sit's in between the axle gear's keeping tension on them or spaced ?
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
mpanzar

Yes, you are correct. #33 keeps the correct spacing and transfers load from one axle shaft(#24) to the other axle shaft(#24) without putting the load on the shaft(#30) that supports the spider gears. I made a simplified drawing of the tapered axle design shown below

In the case of the open diff the spacer take the form of #33, in a powrlok diff it takes the form of "thrust bearings".

I've heard people call the two spacers shown above a number of different names: thrust bearings, center blocks, thrust blocks etc. In the powerlok diff, the spacers often times fall out, wear out or break apart which causes the axle shaft to put the load on the the cross shafts, hence why many times the cross shafts are destroyed in the rear Dana 27s w/ powrlok. The two spaces are held together with a dinky little pin.

Picture of worn end that meets the axle shaft

In this picture you can see the pin that is mangled.

In the manual it makes almost no mention of these pins being used. The exploded diagram refers to the powrlok that did not use the taper shaft design. Noticed these spacers are not included in the diagram.

Here are some pictures of a recent rear Dana 27 powrlok rebuild that I did.

So long story short, rear Dana 27s with the tapered axle, which I believe are on many Scout 80s need some sort of spacers whether its an open diff or powrlok for correct operation. Herm the overdrive guy sells replacement powrlok parts for the Dana 27. I just need to find a replacement spacer for the open diff type.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39

Thought I had 1 apart. Just the carrier, but have a complete rear end.
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
mpanzar

Would you be willing to part with it?

Tags
dana 27, end play, scout 80