IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Product Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
scoutpappa

Member Number: 2048
Default Rough Country Lift

After the shopping spree yesterday I forgot to ask. I purchased the 5" shackles and the 4" lift as well as new body bushings. Do I need a new pitman. I have the new center pins and all bushings but just never crossed my mind to ask about that.

Nick
scoutpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Rough Country Lift

First off thank you for the order. You do not need a new drop pitman arm for your spring under lift kit. We would have advised you of needing one at the time of sale if you did indeed need one. The drop pitman arm that is currently available shortens up the throw too much thus causing an under steer situation. Once installed your Scout will no longer turn as tight as it used to. Really no one makes a true proper drop pitman arm for one of these as it would have to be really long and I don't think the output shaft of the steering box can safely take the extra leverage going against it. Keep in mind for SOA spring over axle conversions with hysteer like the ones we install do use a shorter pitman so the above info does not apply.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
scoutpappa

Member Number: 2048

Thanks Jeff. I only thought of it because I was all over the place parts wise. I was going to take this next reply to ask about extended brake lines but I think I will wait a few weeks before I bring up any brake questions . I have enough to play with for the time being.
scoutpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
crylance

Member Number: 4822

When installing this lift should I keep the spacer on the front passenger side spring? If yes should it go on top of the springs and then the shim on top of the spacer?
crylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #5
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

Most of the time we will remove the spacer and set it aside. The shim will be bolted to the leaf pack with a longer centerpin and the extra threads cut off. Don't cut the passenger side ubolts down until you take the Scout for a drive and let the springs settle. Every once in a while we need to put the spacer back in to level it out, but not normally. It is sandwiched between the shim and perch. If everything looks good, then you can trim the ubolts down. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
crylance

I got my 4" RC lift all installed, rides better than I expected. My question is I followed the directions and installed the rear springs so the shims point the pinion up towards the TC, of course this causes a vibration at approximately 40 mph. would it help to remove the shims and have maor equal u-joint angles on the rear or is the shaft not long enough? I also installed the 5" shackles.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
crylance

I got my 4" kit installed, The rear came with shims installed on the springs. I installed them so the pinion pointed up toward the TC. I now have a vibration from the rear, which makes sense since the u-joint angles are different. Can I remove the shims or will the stock shaft not be long enough? Or did I do it all wrong, or need CV at the TC, or just live with the vibration.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

Yes, the Rough Country 4" rear springs do come with a shim installed on them, which we do remove in the shop on installs. You are correct in that the ujoint angles need to be the same for the driveshaft to be happy. Normally the 4" lifts with a standard rear driveshaft are fine going down the highway. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote