IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Engine Cooling & Mobile HVAC Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Blasttruck

Member Number: 7854
Default black foam in coolant after top end rebuild

Greetings all!!
Another mess I'm in,
had a leaking head gasket in my 1972 345 and even though 2 bottles of blue devil was helping I decided to do a top end and take care of it. Finally got it done and the next day opened the radiator cap and found a horrible black foamy froth. The oil seems fine and has no coolant. I ran a hose into the radiator for about 10 minutes to see if maybe it was just gunk or residue but came right back. There are small bubbles coming up while she runs as well. Also put in a new water pump last week. I'm guessing something went wrong but figured I'd check with you guys first....I'll try to post pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170423_132432.jpg (29.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_235157.jpg (46.1 KB, 118 views)
Blasttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: black foam in coolant after top end rebuild

Looks like someone put some "stopleak" type product in it before and now its coming back to bite you. My suggestion would be a coolant flush and possibly even removal of the lower block freeze plugs to check for gunk and remove as needed. Pretty common to see a bunch of gunk in the block, especially if the engine wasn't taken well care of. But the bubbles coming up to the top of the radiator while the engine is running is interesting. Have you preformed a cooling system pressure test after replacing the cylinder head gaskets?

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Blasttruck

Thanks Jeff,
I put the 2 bottles of blue devil head gasket sealer in, also if I remember correctly a bottle of bars a number of months ago. I have had 2 separate freeze plug issues, a replaced water pump and did a radiator flush all on separate occasions so there has been many water changes over the last 6 months or so. There's no telling what the po had done! I should also mention that I am only running water right now and my heater is a warmer. I haven't checked or know the correct way the heater hoses go to the fire wall either so if he hooked those up backwards maybe it's gunk from the core....?
I have not done a pressure test and it's only been running for 1 full day since the work....could I possibly just have some not tight enough gaskets or maybe plugs?
I'll try running a bunch of water through tonight again and see if there's any improvement. .....
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

You really want the block tester kit with the blue die that changes color if hydrocarbons are detected in the coolant system. The kit is around $25 at most stores and will give you a definitive answer as to what the bubbles are. All that clean water May be dissolving some of the deposits in the block or bottom of the radiator. I hope your head gaskets are sealed. Were the heads checked for cracks? And what cylinder(s) were leaking?
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Blasttruck

Hey fd,
I will get that when I get a free second. Just went and checked, the valve cover bolts were very loose as we're the valley cover bolts. Also my heater hoses were loose and one was slightly dripping. I think it was 5 and 7 were where we saw the leak. The whole gasket was a mess though. The good (?) news is that I didn't have any major gunk just now when I checked her! A few specs of copper from some old sealer, but maybe she's getting pretty flushed!!??
Still very appreciative for any thoughts or insight!
Thanx guys!!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Blasttruck

Ps, doubt it matters much but all new brass plugs I head and block, also had the intake and a few other small parts hot tanked,cleaned, and painted....