IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default SIGH - that darn green wire

When all else fails, check the green wire.

A few weeks ago, I acquired an 80 gallon 2 stage air compressor and an electric air dryer from a good friend of mine. I spent a couple weekends plumbing in 1/2" copper pipe with a couple drops for hose connections and the 220v electric hook ups.

I have heard and used this very same compressor with in the past 5 years. It was used to paint my 74 Scout the lime green ice cream color, before I rolled it into a tree. So I know it works and is about the fourth or less the noise as my ole craftsman pos. But ran into issues soon after I turned it on. Within about 30 seconds, the electric motor started smoking. More so than I do. went as far as tearing it apart and cleaning it up inside the best I could, but nothing worked. So I started doing the ole booblie search for a new motor. Ranging in price of $300 to $450. Then tonight I finally read a fine print of a tag on another motor and said that the "motor must be grounded". So I ran a green wire for the grounding of the motor. And now it's a non smoking convert. Sound familiar? When all else fails in the Scout, check the green wire.

The end result of all the searching, I ended up learn myself sumfin more about these things called air compressors. And not just for blowing gas out ones arse.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
POPS

Member Number: 2005
Default Re: SIGH - that darn green wire

That cracks me up.. I did the exact same thing, except ended up having an electrician buddy 'check the green wire'. I'm glad I'm not the only one...
POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

I recently swapped some work on a friends boat for a nice cabinet makers table saw. The saw was a dawg and would barely saw anything before bogging down. The cover on the motor's electrical box said it was wired for 240v and the cord had a 120v plug. Rewired the motor 120v and now that baby rips!

I'm a bit concerned with the motor smoking when not grounded, something is not wired correctly and you are possibly making all the steel conduit and boxes in the shop hot! is this a 2 or 3 wire 220 circuit?
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdchappie View Post
I'm a bit concerned with the motor smoking when not grounded, something is not wired correctly and you are possibly making all the steel conduit and boxes in the shop hot! is this a 2 or 3 wire 220 circuit?
I was concerned about it too. But the subject of electrical in my man cave kinda hits a nerve, because it out right sucks @$$. And I won't go into all the details here about it, but in the short version, is that I considering getting legal council in order to get the owner of this building up off his lazy butt and take care of this shizzz.

Currently have a 3 phase sub panel mounted up on the wall that was never wired in correctly. And I currently do not have anything that requires 3 phase. It has 3 wire (+ground wire) fed into the panel. From my understanding is that a 3 phase panel needs a fourth wire. That way all 3 legs of the 3 phase in panel are wired into the breaker plus the neutral and ground wire buses. That 3 phase panel is the only thing providing the 220v that I need for my welder. My welder and cloths dryer have been the only things that has been hooked up to that panel in the last 3 years that I been in this space. The rest of the 110v outlets and lights are hooked up to several other subpanels locked up in another room some of the conduit for some of the outlets are set in the concrete floor.

Motor is actually shot and needs to be replaced. I had the motor sitting on the bench when I wired a ground wire along with the rest of the wiring to test it. Worked like it was supposed to, and ran it for about 20 minutes or so while it was on the bench with no issues until I put a load on it with the compressor pump. Re-mounted the motor back onto the tank and hooked up the belts between the pump and motor and hooked all the wiring back plus the added ground onto the motor itself. Turned it on and it started up fine and worked for a minute or two, until it started bogging down and became to be known as sparky. This air compressor has been sitting in another space in the building, un used, for the last 3 or 4 years. The tenants in that space May have ran it with out oil in the pump or something. There always have been a slight oil leak through the sight glass, and I was aware of it, so I put oil into it, up to the fill level before I turned it on. Needless to saw, I'm not very happy about it.

Couple days ago I ordered a 5hp single phase magnetic starter and a new pressure switch with on/off switch that has a built in un-loader. The old pressure switch might be on its way out and it didn't have the on/off switch. In the mean time, ordering a replacement electric motor will have to wait. Taxes getting the better of me at the moment. along with paying rent for the cave today.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Greg R

Member Number: 527

Your motor died regardless of a green wire or not. Green is for grounding, a safety code feature that enclosures for appliances or tools have a path to ground rather than you or any other user.

Rentals have to meet minimum "any" code be it plumbing or electrical and in some municipalities for hygiene. You don't need a lawyer, most towns have inspectors that can get lazy landlords to comply.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote