IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 12-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
WLZ

Member Number: 9525
Default SUA wandering

New guy here. I am rebuilding a 75 scout. I want to make this into a daily driver that is reasonably capable offroad for hunting and just seeing the back country...not a crawler. I would like to stay with the SUA configuration. I bought 33's before I realized how much it would affect steering. I have new tie rod ends, steering gear box, drag link,ball joints, shocks and alignment. The rag joint seems to be in good shape. frame appears to be solid (no cracks). It still wanders with the bigger tires. Is the cut and turn probably necessary with the larger tires or is that just necessary if I convert to SOA? Not 100% sure how the geometry works. Also, I shouldn't have to change my pinion angle should I?
Thanks for any suggestions. I looked through the forums and didn't find quite what I was looking for.
WLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
dkminors

Member Number: 1337
Default Re: SUA wandering

Stock shackles?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
int77345

Member Number: 624

i run 33s with a spring under suspension and about like you dont really want a crawler just a good 4x4 that i can take on "trails" these rock canyon crawler trails are kinda fun but they take all day to go 3 miles and you dont really see that much.

any way my scout dove like yours lots of wondering and kinda scary on the interstate. a cut and turn along with a reverse shackle made a night and day difference. it made such a driving difference that if there was only one modification i could make i would go with cut and turn the axle. during the cut and turn i think you can set you pinion angle to any angle you like.

thats my 2 cents, if you have a wondering scout cut and turn will solve it and if there is money left over the reverse shackle helps with ride quality
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

I have a '79 with 4" Skyjacker springs and a 1" over stock shackle. I went with 4 degree shims under the axle and that really made a difference. I intend the C&T at some point, but for now, this makes highway travel a breeze, when before, it was a white-knuckle affair. The only downside is the front drive line angles are about at their limits at full droop. It doesn't worry me as I'm not hacking down the road in 4-Hi at 50. Its a weekend rig, not a crawler, like you describe yours.
You could try this to make sure its indeed what your rig needs. Its a cheap experiment, and for me a (semi) permanent solution.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
mrscullini

Member Number: 7826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealbreaker74 View Post
I have a '79 with 4" Skyjacker springs and a 1" over stock shackle. I went with 4 degree shims under the axle and that really made a difference. I intend the C&T at some point, but for now, this makes highway travel a breeze, when before, it was a white-knuckle affair. The only downside is the front drive line angles are about at their limits at full droop. It doesn't worry me as I'm not hacking down the road in 4-Hi at 50. Its a weekend rig, not a crawler, like you describe yours.
You could try this to make sure its indeed what your rig needs. Its a cheap experiment, and for me a (semi) permanent solution.
i'm in the same boat. definitely install shims if you haven't. its a good semi-permanent solution.
mrscullini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
WLZ

Member Number: 9525

Thanks guys! I have the axle assembly out and have started the c/t. Can I leave the pinion angle at zero or should I tilt it up a little bit? If so how much? I have read some of the SOA setups tilting the pinion up to 10 degrees!
WLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
Winchested

Member Number: 9303

Mines at 16*... For a CV front shaft.
Winchested is offline   Reply With Quote