IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Ignition Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: IHC Vehicle Distributor Identification

In addition to a new dui distributor (which I personally think is major overkill for your application), we can fix you up with a fresh distributor of nearly any version.

A pertronix converted Holley points unit, or a rebuild and pertronix upgrade on your current distributor, or a "built" delco, or ????

Call Jeff and discuss your big picture, then he'll get with me if need be and we'll set up a distributor for your application. This is not a "one size fits all" kinda deal, the advance curve needs to be proper for your engine setup now, that is why we need to know which distributor you currently have and it's part number from the body. Then we can determine what the setup on it is and advise accordingly.

But we must know exactly (preferably with pics) what distributor/carb setup you currently use...if you currently have a governor setup, then those are completely different animals from the light duty/non-governor stuff...even though the engine mechanicals are basically common. For the governor motors you must think of this stuff as a systems approach.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
GS340

Member Number: 928

Here are a few pictures of my distributor. Let me know what you can offer. I would like to buy something outright vs shipping this one for rebuild or core.

I'll give Jeff a call tomorrow...

Thanks
Robert

Last edited by GS340; 03-08-2009 at 02:04 PM..
GS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
GS340

I don't think the vac advance is working since I can suck air all day long through it. This is my first car/truck with points and the truck is older then I am!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Michael Mayben

The distributor you have is a plain old Holley "1510 series" points-trigger unit. However, the IH p/n I don't find in my techinfo...so I can't I.d. The advance curve right now. That can be done onna engine when running if you have a accurate "shop-type" tachometer and a dialback timing light.

But if the vacuum advance is nonfunc that is a dealbreaker. New advance cans are not available, we do have a few used ones and they May also be remanufactured by one of our suppliers but are pricey. You should not be able to "suck air" through it unless the diaphragm is perforated (which means it's ng). Look on the bottom of the actuator arm and you will see a number, normally either a "5" or a "7". That is the amount of advance the actuator can provide when fully operated. That number is read in "degrees". When vacuum is applied to the nipple, the arm should not move until a nominal 5"hg of vacuum is applied...then it should just start to move and be fully pulled at 10>12"hg and stay in that position as long as vacuum is maintained. When vacuum is cut, then the internal spring returns the diaphragm/arm to it's "atmospheric" position. That test must be repeatable over and over to determine if the vacuum can is usable.

So either the rig never had a governor system, or someone has swapped in a different distributor...what about the carburetor...did you identify it as to whether it's a governor unit also?

Your existing distributor can be easily remanned and have a pertronix or a pertronix II conversion trigger installed. Call Jeff at ihon for options in dealing with this.

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 03-09-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
GS340

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
the distributor you have is a plain old Holley "1510 series" points-trigger unit. However, the IH p/n I don't find in my techinfo...so I can't I.d. The advance curve right now. That can be done onna engine when running if you have a accurate "shop-type" tachometer and a dialback timing light.

But if the vacuum advance is nonfunc that is a dealbreaker. New advance cans are not available, we do have a few used ones and they May also be remanufactured by one of our suppliers but are pricey. You should not be able to "suck air" through it unless the diaphragm is perforated (which means it's ng). Look on the bottom of the actuator arm and you will see a number, normally either a "5" or a "7". That is the amount of advance the actuator can provide when fully operated. That number is read in "degrees". When vacuum is applied to the nipple, the arm should not move until a nominal 5"hg of vacuum is applied...then it should just start to move and be fully pulled at 10>12"hg and stay in that position as long as vacuum is maintained. When vacuum is cut, then the internal spring returns the diaphragm/arm to it's "atmospheric" position. That test must be repeatable over and over to determine if the vacuum can is usable.

So either the rig never had a governor system, or someone has swapped in a different distributor...what about the carburetor...did you identify it as to whether it's a governor unit also?

Your existing distributor can be easily remanned and have a pertronix or a pertronix II conversion trigger installed. Call Jeff at ihon for options in dealing with this.

The arm has a 5 on it.

I'm not sure if the truck had/has a governor system install or what a governor looks like either carb or dis.

I installed a rebuilt carb from Holley. Same model that came off the truck... Here is a picture of the numbers off the carb. I thought replacing the distributor would be as easy as the carb but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'll so more research and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your time and help.

Robert

Last edited by GS340; 03-09-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
Michael Mayben

I overlooked your response regarding the list on the Holley carb you are using.

That is a 2210c based upon the list 7309 in the pic.

That carb is discussed in detail in this thread, starting with post #22:

http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...arb-stuff.html

The 22xx series carbs were never available with a governor system, those were/are throwaway emissions carbs.

So the engine system you have is not a "governed" engine, it's the same power unit that was installed as standard stuff in light duty Scout II, pickups, and travelalls of the same era. There were variations in the engine support systems used in the various platforms though. Some blocks were/are machined and drilled for all variations, some are not.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
Bill Bennett

Member Number: 747

Mike, check your e-mail box. I sent you the dist specs.
Bill bennett
Bill Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #23
Michael Mayben

As long as ihc-variation distributors keep popping up, I'll keep posting.

Here's yet another variation of a mallory aftermarket replacement distributor for the sv engine application. The "unilite" 37 series. This model has mechanical advance only, it's companion is the "47 series" which mounts a vacuum advance unit.

mallory :: product details

The unilite distributors have been around for years, one of the very first performance "breakerless" distributor designs. These units use a photo-optic trigger system and must be used with the rotor assembly shown...aka "shutter wheel" by some.

Mallory uses the same basic distributor body and drive system for all ihc engine apps of their distributors, just changing the type of trigger system used internally.

This item belongs to mikee roth and came to him in a recent purchase of a lot of sii race truck parts. However, this unit was never set up properly and has an exorbitant amount of end play present since someone did not shim the drive gear correctly. It will be disassembled and inspected for damage and repaired if needed, then the drive gear will be properly installed.

Over the years, the unilite series has gained a rep in some circles for being unreliable. But if that was a fact, then they would not have remained in production and have sold in the 10's of thousands of units over the years. I have no doubt that the reputation is impacted by incorrect installation. These units must have a proper spec ballast resistor installed, dependent on which ignition coil it's paired with. If used to trigger a add-on cd box, then a ballast May or May not be required:

http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/1214m.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 04-07-2009 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
towpainter3

Member Number: 549
Question Re: IHC Vehicle Distributor Identification

Distributor id question. Michael, I have what appears to be a prestolite electronic dizzy. It has 3 wires coming from the side and the vac canister. Under the rotor button is an electronic board with the motorola logos on the diodes and such. There are no part numbers that I can find. Any info will be helpful I will get a pic on here in a few. Thanks brad
Old 10-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
Michael Mayben

Regarding the prestolite electronic distributor...the electronic module is under the breaker plate component to which the pickup assembly attaches. Don't know about any electronics that might be mounted under the rotor button????

Pics will tell the story though.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #26
towpainter3

Michael, sorry bout the misleading info,the module is under the breaker plate and the little white colored pickup is the only thing mounted on the plate. They have installed the wrong cap , according to the previous threads, female lugs should be male? Correct? Will post pics in the next reply if I can figure it out . This damn lectronic thang aint no junk iron.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 AM   #27
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499

Brad, here's a pic of the prestolite I just installed in my rig, it's just the top view but it sure sound like the one you have.

Ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #28
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpainter3 View Post
michael, sorry bout the misleading info,the module is under the breaker plate and the little white colored pickup is the only thing mounted on the plate. They have installed the wrong cap , according to the previous threads, female lugs should be male? Correct? Will post pics in the next reply if I can figure it out . This damn lectronic thang aint no junk iron.
No doubt what you have is the prestolite electronic as shown in ron's pic.

There are several things "wrong" with trying to interchange the caps between the Holley and the prestolite-pattern distributor bodies. Primarily...they don't fit correctly! And to really add to mystery performance, the phasing of the terminals in the two caps is not the same resulting in really crappy performance.

There is a way to use the prestolite cap on a Holley body, I did a swap on Jeff's converted efi Holley distributor on his white sii yesterday...but even that one is not optimum...yet.

Yes...a correct cap for the prestolite will have male terminals (contrary to popular belief, delco did not originate that concept as seen in an hei distributor design). Also..stay away from the aftermarket prestolite caps with aluminum terminals/contactors...those are garbage...and the internal terminals are not shaped/manufactured correctly for the prestolite rotor design.

I'll post some additional info with pics regarding the prestolite sparker this coming week after I get home and can shoot some pics of the sample parts.

The time we spent with navybill and navyjoe this past week dealing with the efi-enabled distributor variations will result in a converted distributor that is optimized with all the good stuff that fits properly and can be used with or without efi.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #29
towpainter3

Question Re: IHC Vehicle Distributor Identification

Yep thats the puppy. Ok now can this diz be hooked up like a GM hei to eliminate the points diz I have now and if so how. I can purchase the correct cap and rotor thru napa only one I can seem to find at the wally world stores are the junky aluminum contact ones. Good thing there are still a few good part stores around. Anyway I woulld love to do the swap if possible. If not oh well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #30
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499

I guess it depends on if the dizzy is for IH or not. If you read my post mm discribes the install.
http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...-question.html

One thing I found out is that the dust cover is an important part, it acually fits over the rim of the dizzy and makes the cap fit properly.
Good luck, you will definatly notice a difference.
Ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)

Last edited by ronmc1954; 10-21-2009 at 04:03 AM..
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote