IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
mrscullini

Member Number: 7826
Default steering rehab for 79 sII

figure over the winter i'll do a little steering rehab. it a '79 that has a rc 4" lift sprung under, cpt 5" shackle kit, 4* shims, running 31's. the steering is the unmolested original. i don't really have any issues, figure the steering could be a little a tighter.

wanna take advantage of the black and red sale. the list of rehab work includes the following,

1. new box, it leaks
2. borgeson lower kit
3. ball joints and tie rod ends

so a couple of questions,

1. did i miss anything major
2. on #3, i ran across the cpt heavy duty drag link and tie rod. is this plug and pray with my current setup? does it come with the joint ends? if it comes with the joint ends, spending a bit extra may make sense.
mrscullini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
mrscullini

Member Number: 7826
Default Re: steering rehab for 79 sII

talked with ihpa on monday, the tie rod and drag link should be a direct fit with my setup. ordered monday and delivered yesterday. also, the joint ends are included, pretty good deal.

next question, forgive me it a stupid one. seems like the install is pretty straight forward. is it as simple as removing the old tie rod/drag link and installing the new? i know the length is critical for the toe. to maintain the toe, is it a simple as getting a length measurement off the old parts? can i leave the front end on the ground so there is no independent movement of the wheel?
mrscullini is offline   Reply With Quote