IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
harrywt

Member Number: 1181
Default Re: Cluster F**k

yes, new wirs, cap, rotor, mentioned in an earlier post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Did you try replacing the distributor cap and plug wires? If you were getting shocked from the wires, they are probably toast. The Pertronix is going to give you a hotter spark, which will make bad plug wire issues worse. Have you looked at the plug wires when its dark and the engine is cold to see if there are any pyrotechnics going on?
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
harrywt

Ha, Robert Scores. I forgot about pressurizing the cylinder to kee the valve from falling into the cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kenney View Post
Super easy to install, do them one cylinder at a time, bring them to TDC stroke, pressurize the cylinder. Remove the rocker assembly, remove the spring retainer and spring. Slide the new seal on to the stem cup down, slide them to the guide.

Reinstall the spring and retainer along with the locking keys, release the spring tension and move on to the next one. I like to give the valve stem a rap with a rubber mallet just hard enough to unseat the valve and snap shut.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543

If you go with U-seals, they need to fit in the spring ID. This includes the damper that most times comes installed in a single valve spring.

So, size the seal to the valve stem diameter and the valve spring ID.. Since the seal needs to fit between the valve guide and the spring retainer at full lift, make sure you have room for the top of the seal. I doubt it will be an issue but good to check.

I see IHPA has a set in the store. https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/COMP-504-16.html

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 06-17-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
harrywt

I already have them in the cart, need approval from the boss first....

Quote:
If you go with U-seals, they need to fit in the spring ID. This includes the damper that most times comes installed in a single valve spring.

So, size the seal to the valve stem diameter and the valve spring ID.. Since the seal needs to fit between the valve guide and the spring retainer at full lift, make sure you have room for the top of the seal. I doubt it will be an issue but good to check.

I see IHPA has a set in the store. https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/COMP-504-16.html
Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
harrywt

I am finally going to install these umbrella seals. Isit worth the trouble to try replace the stock seals?

Quote:

Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543

Are you referring to the oring that goes on the valve stem? Yes, I would renew them as well.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
harrywt

I see several "valve seal tools", do I need such a thing?

Quote:
Are you referring to the oring that goes on the valve stem? Yes, I would renew them as well.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #23
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

Your carb guy is awesome. Just be prepared to talk when you go there, because he's a yapper. I've been going to him for years, even just to pick his brain. Good dude.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #24
harrywt

Paul is the real deal. I haven't been by there in a while. He said that he had his GTO and his camper sold and with what he said about his kids I get the feeling he is/was winding down there.

I could sit and talk with him as long as he wants, I have in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealbreaker74 View Post
Your carb guy is awesome. Just be prepared to talk when you go there, because he's a yapper. I've been going to him for years, even just to pick his brain. Good dude.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #25
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

Yes, I got that feeling during Christmas. He hosted a pizza party/Toy drive with the CHP (his daughter is an officer). It was apparent to all of us that he was looking to wind it up and watch the grand kids grow up. Soon, there won't be anyone who even knows what a carburetor is. Let alone anyone who can tickle them like he can....
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote