IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
codeman

Member Number: 2424
Default Sprung weight suspension set up

I am finalizing the pinion angles, spring perch locations and front shackle positions for reverse shackle installation. Everything I read refers to the entire truck being together with the total weight loaded on the springs. However, I'm NOT in position to do that now. BUT - I want to drill the frame, final paint it and begin building. I'm doing a rotisserie restoration and the Scout is in pieces, no where near ready to assemble.

As I understand the need for total sprung weight to determine most of these location, why can't I achieve that by strategically loading the tub with what would amount to the curb weight of the truck? Alcan Spring build the leafs with a front load of 2000# =/-, and a rear load of 2200#=/-.

I have calculated an estimated weight of 4035 as seen on the attached photo. When scaled out, I have a total weight of 4077. I did add 360# to the front bring the total there to 2005#. I have lightened the rear to 2252#. I am satisfied with the rear shackle angle and the loaded spring arch. The location of the reverse shackle drilling point appears close to the pictures I have seen here.

Is there any reason this method will not provide accurate locations and angles? Please provide any input you can. What say ye, Scoutboy 74????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprung weight.jpg (59.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg sprung weight 4.jpg (75.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg sprung weight 3.jpg (71.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sprung weight 2.jpg (73.1 KB, 25 views)
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote