IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
richsbca

Member Number: 812
Default marquette engine analyzer

Just picked up a marquette 40-275 analyzer and have no idea what wires go where... Any know where I might get a manual or some directions for wire hook ups?
richsbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: marquette engine analyzer

The marquette stuff was a very popular "value line" product. Have you searched online for information?

I work with peerless analyzers, they are very similar products to marquette as they were aimed at the same market...entry level/budget price.

Post pics of the machine and all the cabling, I'll tell ya how to connect it. That shit was new when I was in my prime, we had several of those in the community college auto tech program I taught in.

I do have a few operator's guides for the peerless stuff, like I said, the marquette is not much different.

Philbin electric in portland, or was a service center for the marquette products of all types, contact them for information also:

the philbin group - industry information

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
richsbca

Thanks michael! I'll try to contact phillbin group as well. That name sounds famillar, do they rebuild distributers?

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00036-20100410-1006.jpg (72.7 KB, 1934 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00037-20100413-0651.jpg (53.0 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00038-20100413-0652.jpg (52.4 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00040-20100413-0652.jpg (41.0 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00041-20100413-0653.jpg (57.9 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00042-20100413-0653.jpg (53.2 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00043-20100413-0654.jpg (72.8 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00044-20100413-0654.jpg (63.7 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00045-20100413-0654.jpg (42.5 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00046-20100413-0655.jpg (54.3 KB, 675 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Michael Mayben

Yep, philbin rebuilds distributors and all types of automotive-related electrical apparatus, including blower and wiper motors. Great folks to deal with inna real old skool environment, the place looks like hell inside but that is because they are an old time business!

Your marquette is the pro version, very full-featured! Not the less featured versions sold through auto parts distributors. It is equivalent to the peerless pulsar "infra-red" version that lyle bought originally off ebay and has stored here now. He later bought a more modern model peerless he found at philbin's after making a trip there looking for literature for his first peerless unit!

It has a magnetic timing pickup to use on some vehicles that came into being in the late 70's, the first "computer" rigs. That timing pickup mounts in a holder down on the front of the timing cover on selected engines to provide a crank pickup signal for synchronization.

We can easily figure out a basic hookup for ya so you can play with this, no way to cause any damage.

What I need is a set of pics with the test leads pulled out (such as laying on a table in front of the machine) so I can see where they actually enter the machine and show the label for each test lead. Not all test leads are used on all engine hookups. This machine was developed as a "bridge" analyzer between the older analog units made for breaker point ignition systems only that would also work on the "second generation" electronic ignition and charging systems coming into being at that point.

I also need a closer view of the front of the instruments and control console also.

Were there any additional "loose" test leads included with the machine or other adapters for coil towers, spark plug cable extensions, etc.??

Old 04-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
richsbca

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
yep, philbin rebuilds distributors and all types of automotive-related electrical apparatus, including blower and wiper motors. Great folks to deal with inna real old skool environment, the place looks like hell inside but that is because they are an old time business!

Your marquette is the pro version, very full-featured! Not the less featured versions sold through auto parts distributors. It is equivalent to the peerless pulsar "infra-red" version that lyle bought originally off ebay and has stored here now. He later bought a more modern model peerless he found at philbin's after making a trip there looking for literature for his first peerless unit!

It has a magnetic timing pickup to use on some vehicles that came into being in the late 70's, the first "computer" rigs. That timing pickup mounts in a holder down on the front of the timing cover on selected engines to provide a crank pickup signal for synchronization.

We can easily figure out a basic hookup for ya so you can play with this, no way to cause any damage.

What I need is a set of pics with the test leads pulled out (such as laying on a table in front of the machine) so I can see where they actually enter the machine and show the label for each test lead. Not all test leads are used on all engine hookups. This machine was developed as a "bridge" analyzer between the older analog units made for breaker point ignition systems only that would also work on the "second generation" electronic ignition and charging systems coming into being at that point.

I also need a closer view of the front of the instruments and control console also.

Were there any additional "loose" test leads included with the machine or other adapters for coil towers, spark plug cable extensions, etc.??
Yes I had a distrubitor rebuild by the good folks at philbin! Mark was a pleasure to deal with.

Didn't have any other wired leads, but I took photos of the ones I have and they May not be in the correct plugs. Just matched the color codes and it seems like most of the plugs were keyed.
Only leads not shown are the battery load test clamps which are the standard jumper cable type clamps, however the load test doesn't seem to work.
So the leads on the arm in the labeled picture are the primary ignition plugs and the others I held the connector next to the plug in the back of the unit.

Can't tell you how much I appreicate this michael! Thanks again!

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00051-20100413-1758 copy.jpg (78.1 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00052-20100413-1759.jpg (74.7 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00053-20100413-1759.jpg (72.4 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00054-20100413-1759.jpg (49.6 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00055-20100413-1759.jpg (66.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00056-20100413-1801.jpg (51.5 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00057-20100413-1801.jpg (50.0 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00058-20100413-1803.jpg (42.7 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00059-20100413-1804.jpg (56.3 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00060-20100413-1804.jpg (52.0 KB, 471 views)

Last edited by richsbca; 04-13-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Michael Mayben

Done some searching but I've not found any decent info regarding your marquette machine online.

So let's start from scratch regarding the test leads. Keep in mind I May May be incorrect on a few points, we just need to work through this. I'm going to use your jpeg numbers posted for reference:

051: the aqua color lead is an inductive connector, it May have an arrow on it to denote directionality, if so, the arrow points to the distributor cap, connector goes on the coil lead to trigger the scope. I think...the blue connector goes to the coil negatve terminal and is used to trigger the dwell meter...follow that cable to the machine and see if it doesn't say something like "ignition primary" or "tach"? Does that lead go to the port labeled "primary ignition input"??

The two leads with the large battery clamps go to the battery positive and negative terminals. The smaller alligator with the red boot also goes to battery b+.

058: the small red and black alligators are used for measuring either resistance (ohmmeter) or voltage (volt meter), just like a handheld analog vom.

059/060: that is the mag pickup used on some engines equipped with a "holder" down close to the crank pulley/balancer that had provisions for "mag timing". That probe was simply inserted into the holder, roation of the crank pulley then triggered that probe and the timing number dis[lays on the analog meter. That system has no use on any IH-produced engine as they did not have provisions for a magnetic timing pickup (used instead of a timing light).

038: the large gray inductive clamp is for the timing light. Of course, on a sv engine it goes on #8 plug cable, and it May also be directional with an arrow that points towards the spark plug. I May be wrong, and have the description of the two inductive pickups transposed, determine where each lead goes on the boom and read the label for correct orientation.

040: I believe that white potted connector is used only on the delco hei distributor used in GM stuff. It snaps/clamps down over the top of the ignition coil mounted in the distributor cap. That is used instead of the pickup for the coil secondary lead and is used to trigger the scope for use only on an hei distributor.

057: I can see the timing light in the background. The note you see on the label refers to the fact that the light has the "dial-back" feature for testing the vacuum and mechanical advance segments of the distributor by. For basic timing readout, make sure the switch is either turned off or is set to zero (0), other wise the timing display will not be correct.

If the unit has a somewhat heavier gauge set of alligators and cables, those are used on the battery for a "load" test, that requires a separate adapter that goes on the battery positive post and is a large super-duty resistor unit that is used to momentarily "load" the battery to check the battery and charging system for discharge/charge operation. Those cables probably lead to the port connector labeled "amps".

The vacuum gauge will either have a fitting on the machine to use a simple hose connection that goes to an available manifold vacuum port on the engine, or...if it is an electric vacuum gauge, there is a small box with a cable that goes into one side and vacuum hose coming out the other side. That is a transducer used to convert an vacuum signal to an electrical signal to run the actual vacuum meter on the panel.

Does that account for all the test leads? If so, connect those up and gimme a pic of the setup on a live motor. Then I'll attempt to explain the test configurations, buttons to push, and the basic scope operation.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
owensg

Member Number: 3598

Hi! I was searching for marquette info when I saw your post. I have all kinds of marquette stuff. I have price list, set up manuals, and parts. If you are interested in anything let me know via email at gary.kay.owens@gmail.com.

Thanks, gary
owensg is offline   Reply With Quote