IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Scout IISS

Member Number: 1887
Default 1310 Barn Find - or - Rescued from the field.

Hi all,

I found out that one of my neighbors has a IH 1310 pickup thats basically rotting away right next to his barn. So I asked him if he was willing to sell it. I liked the price he asked, $200, and I clear up the title issues.

So, now all I have to do is drag the old guy back to my shop and find out how much of the truck is left.

After I get him cleaned up, I plan to put a diesel under the hood. Any suggestions of engine makes? Powerstroke, duramax, cummins?

I'm also looking for suggestions on all other power train components.

When this truck is done its going to be a man of many hats rig basically a farm truck, stump ripper, hay trailer hauler, and the like.
Scout IISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
IHRunner

Member Number: 4157
Default Re: 1310 Barn Find - or - Rescued from the field.

Keep it International under the hood. You can spit and hit a cummins. Fart and hit a small block. And trip and hit a Jeep.

Best options.

6.9/7.3 idi. Basic simple old fashioned diesel.
T444/7.3ps. Any questions? Best v8 diesel ever produced.
Vt365/275. Aka 6.0 and maxxforce 5. The 6.0 is a good diesel.
Maxxforce7/6.4ps. Also a very good engine
dt360 or dt466. Probably to big for your platform. But would be awesome

I like the 6.9/7.3 idi. Small. Compact. V8 diesel. Good parts availibility. Option of a borgwarner trans. Its time tested. Doesnt have any fancy crap to deal with. Just plug and play.

My 2 cents. Im glad you rescued her. Always good to see a truck get a second chance at life

1976 terra-304-The Duke. 420k miles
1977 traveler-304-furst fake hurst-unknown miles
1978 scout II-The Pumpkin-196-4spd-no power steering-67k original miles
1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
1985 irocz camaro(sold thank god)
2 farmall m's
IHRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Scout IISS

Do you think a built up sd-33t would do the job? It was an option in the Scout II in 1980. I was thinking I might be able to get 350 hp and 650-700 trq out of the engine without beating on it too much.

Put a tremec t56 behind it and a Dana 60 rear end with a 3.73 gear and I'd have good combo.

If not, I'd be more inclined to go with a 6.0 ps.

Looking inside she's going to need a completely new interior. Moss everywhere! And the seats are molding.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
IHRunner

I dint think the sd33 could ever see those numbers. But ive never tried.

1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
2 farmall m's
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Scout IISS

Don't see why not, getting 300 out of a 3l gasser isn't that hard. And the sd33t has the right bore/stroke and stroke/rod ratios to make that kind of power.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
IHRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout iiss View Post
don't see why not, getting 300 out of a 3l gasser isn't that hard. And the sd33t has the right bore/stroke and stroke/rod ratios to make that kind of power.
A gasser you can bump the compression. Make it breath better. Use better fuel. Turbo/supercharge.

Heres why I dont think it can be done. Lets take the baddest ass diesel their is on the market right now used in lightduty to heavy duty apps. The dt466/maxxforcedt platform. 7.6 liters. 210-300hp. This is a diesel with 50+ years of engineering under is belt. 300hp is the max! Output.

The Nissan sd33t is small. Its old. And looking at it. Has wayyyyy to high of compression as it is. Power numbers that were impressive in its day. I just dont see how it could safely be made to put out 50 more ponies. Much less 200 more.

Start of with more cubes. The 6.0 has good numbers. Is fairly small. And if you're a ruddy electrician you May be ok. The 6.9/7.3idi. Same thing. But you dont need to be king electrician

1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
2 farmall m's
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Scout IISS

Well, I just found more detailed specs on the sd-33. It has steel sleeves. Thats a deal breaker.

I think for the time being I'll hold on to the gasser. If it turns out to be a paper weight, I'll swap for diesel.

Though I would agree its best to keep it as IH as possible, I will have to go with whatever engine I can afford at the time I'm ready to make the swap.

I need to take some time looking over the rig and then come up with a game plan.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
MarkO

Member Number: 740

If you try to get more out of an sd-33t you are going to get total meltdown. Even in stock form they tend to burn pistons if you don't have a pyrometer letting you know you are getting things too hot.

If you really want a diesel one of your best bets is to purchase a used school bus. You will get all of the parts and pieces necessary for the swap including any harnesses, tin ware, accessories, etc. And after the swap you will have a great storage shed or several tons of scrap metal.

Harlows bus sales has lots of buses for sale, many of which will have an engine that will work for you. bus inventory - harlow's bus sales, inc.

If you are interested, contact me.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Scout IISS

You are the second person to make that suggestion. At present I'm looking at a couple different busses. But I'm also keeping an eye out for a package truck with a 4bt. The busses I'm looking at all have the 6bt, but I don't know if it will be too large for my engine compartment.

I've been told that a 4bt is nearly gutless stock, but that with just a simple exhaust and intake upgrade will fix a lot of those issues. Also, since my truck is pre-deq I can ditch a lot of the after treatment equipment.

Banks makes a lot of what I'll need to get the engine running the way it should. I'm not building for lots of power, I just want my engine to run as efficiently as possible, so I get the most out of each drop.

And the best part of outing a 4bt in it is that I can mate that right to a torqueflite a618, without having to get a custom bell made.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
MarkO

I have seen several full size light lines that have had 6bt transplanted.

The slickest transplant was in a round body t-all.

Since they are about the same length as the I-6's that came from the factory fitting them in hasn't been much of a problem.

I think the biggest problem is getting enough cooling capacity.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Scout IISS

Well, I've had a change of heart. The thought of keeping everything as International as possible has been naughing at me lately. And the more I look into it, the more convinced I become that a t444e is the right way to go. I can put an 4r100 behind that engine. John woods builds a good built up trans that will be able to handle the torque load the engine is going to put on it.

But all of that is a long way off. Even though I'm not fond of gasser engines, I should at least try to get it running again. I also need to make sure the transmission works. Add to that, I need to replace the brakes.

Any suggestions on where to get a low cost disc brake conversion kit? Or would I be better off to just fix the drums I have?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
MarkO

I May have missed it somewhere as to which year your 1310 is.

If your 1310 is a 1968 or older with the big 6-lug wheels it would be less expensive to swap axles and get axles with disc brakes on it already than trying to purchase nos or reconditioned brake drums. GM and mopar both have axles that will work without a lot of fabricating.

If your 1310 is 1969 or newer there are several disc brake conversions available since ihc even used disc brakes on some of their 1-ton axles.

Just make sure that whichever disc brakes you end up using you get something that is relatively common=inexpensive. Some of the ihc disc brakes are almost as uncommon as the big 6-lug brake drums=expensive.

In regards to power swaps, make sure you have run the numbers before you spend the time and $$$ to do the swap. I have figured that I would be hard pressed to pay for an hei/efi upgrade on my gasser. Doing a power package swap is a non-starter for me as long as my sv304 keeps plugging along. The only way either swap would be cost effective is if I were doing mega miles every year.

At less than 2000 miles per year I just can not justify the upgrades.

If I was going more than 10,000 miles per year I could justify the hei/efi upgrade. But in order to justify the diesel power swap I would have to be going well in excess of 100,000 miles per year pulling the trailer.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Steve Grant

Member Number: 1165

Dt 360 would be a good diesel to stick in that truck. It has wet liners. Mechanical fuel pump. They used from the late '80's very early 90's.
Steve Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Scout IISS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I May have missed it somewhere as to which year your 1310 is.
Its a 1973.

Quote:
if your 1310 is a 1968 or older with the big 6-lug wheels it would be less expensive to swap axles and get axles with disc brakes on it already than trying to purchase nos or reconditioned brake drums. GM and mopar both have axles that will work without a lot of fabricating.

If your 1310 is 1969 or newer there are several disc brake conversions available since ihc even used disc brakes on some of their 1-ton axles.
I have a Dana 70 rear axle. There are several reasonably priced disc brake kits for that axle.

Quote:
in regards to power swaps, make sure you have run the numbers before you spend the time and $$$ to do the swap... ...at less than 2000 miles per year I just can not justify the upgrades.
I live on a farm in the middle of podunk nowhere. I drive close to 20,000 a year. And since the engine is coming out of a bus that I'm likely to pay less than 3 grand for (and selling the rest for parts and scrap, we can subtract that too), and all my helpers are friends and neighbors, so my labor costs are paid in beef.

As for the art morrison frame, john wood 4r100 towmaster, advanced adapters atlas transfer case, Dana 60 front axle, new interior, and every other minor detail, well, I just have to save my pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve grant View Post
dt 360 would be a good diesel to stick in that truck. It has wet liners. Mechanical fuel pump. They used from the late '80's very early 90's.
Yes, I've come across that engine in a few busses. I'm not sure what my transmission choices would be. I know with a t444e I can easily adapt it to mount to the 4r100, and I like the gear set.

The truck came with a Dana 70 rear axle, and I can get a 3.54 pinion and ring gear for it. And I can also get the same gear set for the Dana 60 front axle. So, once I have the engine and trans swapped, and the rear gear updated I'll be getting some pretty decent mileage (fuel and smileage).

The more I think about this build, the more gitty I get. But I will have to do it in stages.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Bo185

Member Number: 3670

Its a dulley right?

What front axle is in it now should be Dana 70 closed knuckle. Better off just turning the drum and new shoes. For now. Then just swap to a later pass drop Dana 60 with disc's. They are pretty common and bolt right in!

If its a Dana 44 you can swap to GM 8 lug disc outer's, tweek the u-joints and enjoy.

As for the rear I would just get a late model aam 11.5'' it will have disc's stock. The dodge's even already come in the 3.5x ratios as well. It will save alot of money over a gear swap and disc kit for the rear. Plus its stronger then a Dana 70. Similar weld on new perches which are cheap too. I can get decent mileage used rearend around here for $300-400 ready to go. Check out car-part.com--used auto parts market

A bus will most likely has an allison auto with sae bellhouse.

I have been looking at buses as well for the t444e to swap into my 1210. But I might just stick with a manual.
-55 Chevy 210 Delray 235/3sp
-56 Chevy Belair 4 door hardtop*next project* 5.3/4l60/3.08's
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1310, diesel swap, rebuild