IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260
Default Fixing Drunk Simulator

Heyo, figured I might as well solve this as a seperate issue to my main build thread, I have a 1965 1100 PU 4x4 with newer 1200 or 1210 axles. Front axle is in question here, as the title goes: level of simulated drunkenness ( ) is directly related to speed ( ) times bumpyness of a given road ( ) written this way:
= ×
Basically country roads take me home has a grave meaning over 35mph, highways are perfectly fine up to 65-70. Obviously I want simulated drunkenness to equal 0 regardless of speed or pavement evenness. I did not install this axle, nor do I know for sure what model vehicle it came out of. I think its a FA-25. (Dana 44, large open knuck, drums, 8 lug, 6 bolt warn locking hubs, low pinion) I've never done much with altering alignment of axles (because I don't know how) but I have a 10 pound service manual (62-71 Pickall) and am feeling adventurous after eating some chocolate cake. What I know it needs: tie rod ends and basically every joint between the power box(same origin as axles) and the controll arm, new front shocks, rear shocks at all would probably help, also the horizontal shock common to alot of power steer axles is absent. I just stripped an axle at IHPA for a tie rod guard(my axle had the mounts for one) it had the shock so I have that with mounts but the shock itself I doubt is useable other than for dimentions collapsed/expanded unless the open knuck steers farther/lesser than the closed knuck I got it from. Also forgive my likely bad terminology, caster? camber? one o' those, where the steering axis of the knuckle is leaned back toward the cab may or may not be leaned the wrong way. I noticed a pair of shims welded (very poorly welded btw) in place in front thus canting it foreward? Anyways see pics, let me know how to measure what needs be measured, and let me know any thoughts on it. Also I will post any pics needed to diagnose the problem, havent had it apart as of yet specifically for this. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180818_102924.jpg (80.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20180618_095756.jpg (57.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20170817_134552.jpg (34.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 20170323_143407.jpg (47.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20161202_094539.jpg (55.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20170323_143407(1).jpg (47.3 KB, 70 views)

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad Dura-Max(to be)"

VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!
"SHHHHH! Be wary, wary quiet! Im hunting turkeys"
Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Gunfighter97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: Fixing Drunk Simulator

Those shims are set to remove castor. Remove the shims and replace worn parts and then take it to a good shop for an alignment.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Gunfighter97

I can try that, I would like to measure caster before I run it in 4wd. I heard but correct me of Im wrong, altering the pinion angle too far from the t-case out put can cause drive line problems. The shims are welded in, but it looks like whoever did it forgot their sheilding gas its so bad Nothing a hammer/chissel cant fix. Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

I second the wedge removal. Also want to say that the way your spring pack is assembled is bad bad bad. The leaf order needs to be returned to its original order. Basically you only have a 2 leaf spring pack that is controlling your axle wrap. You axle can wrap around either direction will little resistance.

A side steer setup like you see on the C series like yours, where the steering gear pushes forward and back, is remarkably predisposed to bump steer if the geometry is set up wrong. Minimize the angularity of your drag link, and maximize the wrap stiffness of your spring pack.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Gunfighter97

Hermmm..... Ya know I see what youre refering to about the springs..... And I'm wondering why that hasnt struck me as odd before. Are these springs consistent with my original HD c series springs? I was thinking about replacing the springs all the way around in the next couple years, theres helpers in back, maybe my mind thought thats what these were. I was told "the telephone company used it to rip poles out of the ground" no idea if thats true but it has options on the LST that imply it was going to be heavily used. Im not sure what axle wrap is but it doesnt sound good. In regards to the drag link, how can I increase room for my driver side tire? I cant steer fully right because the tire contacts the front joint of the drag link.... I think you can see what I'm refering to in this picture from the shiny spot at front joint.
Attached Images

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Gunfighter97

Ive been looking through my manual, mainly for the U-bolt torque specs and how measurement of steering geometry is done, but cant seem to find them? Perhaps someone can point me to the section I need in Vol1/2 of the 62-71 service manual? I have found the section for and 95% confirmed my axle is the FA-25, but I can't seem to find the info I was looking for. Ive also looked under steering gear (the newer unit in my truck) and frame, but alignment covered under frame is only to ensure the axle is square to the frame so you won't go down the road sideways.

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

The right front brake line....Is that a section of hard line coming from the wheel and then connecting to rubber flex line? Tell me I'm wrong...please.
The caster shims want to angle the kingpin back towards the cab. The angle that messes with the front driveline has to be pretty severe to cause issues. I would definitely do what Robert suggests, and dial in those front springs, then flip the shims right way around and see how she drives. Improper toe-in will also cause squirrly handling, so give a good look at that with a tape measure before you go out on the road.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Gunfighter97

That brake line is an issue I'm ignoring in the hopes it will go away.... I paid a "profesional" to put new steel through the whole truck after my main line poped, and I figured a mechanic could do it faster than me.... You can read the whole story on my build thread...(it took him close to a year to complete) Anyways, trucks getting a new radiator soon, Ill park it on my rv pad and put it on jackstands to do a bunch of stuff at once. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for y'alls input. *edit: beware of "profesionals" he replaced 3 of my wheel cylinders and left one old one in to "save you some money". . . . . . on a $1400 bill

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere

Last edited by Gunfighter97; 09-10-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Gunfighter97

. . . . . . me thinks, this is not an sae endorsed setup. . . .
Attached Images

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Oh hell no! I'll bet that thing flexes and twists, jukes and jives, pops and locks and shimmies and shakes right down the road.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
Gunfighter97

You just described a normal day in my truck!

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Gunfighter97

Ok, my fix in progress got delayed, the shop agreed to fix that stupid brake plumbing setup atleast. My current deal is fixing my leaky cooling system, so I will be doing alterations to the springs/axle setup once I get it back in a few days. My list so far: unmount axle, remove wedges, reassemble spring packs, fix another quasi suicidal po mistake in that U-bolt, remount axle, install horizontal shock, inspect steering linkages/prospect possible improvements. Now I've never removed an axle, will the axle self align when I bolt it back up? Or will I need to measure some things reattaching it?

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Dealbreaker74

The springs always have a locating pin that runs thru the pack. That's what the axle will locate to. However, your spring-over conversion looks a little sketchy, so it wouldn't be a terrible idea to take some pics and measurements to be sure. You know, just in case? I mean if the brake lines are any indication...
Also, looking at that front spring arrangement, is it possible they swapped in rear springs when they did this...? That doesn't look like a front spring pack. I could be wrong.
Keep us updated. We all are pushing you to get something enjoyable (and safe) back on the road.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Gunfighter97

The brake lines were done by me(by shop I paid) and they agreed to fix them for free so thats why Im on hold. I'm not sure about the front springs, the bottom 3 leafs are definatlty upside down, front hangers apear to be original rivited type. Rear shackle hangers are bolted, on the LST it has HD front springs, no idea if thats what these are. Rear springs are massive with helpers, not sure if they are from the 1200 or original. I will conduct some measurements before and try to make sure they are matched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealbreaker74 View Post
Keep us updated. We all are pushing you to get something enjoyable (and safe) back on the road.
I will and I apreciate it!

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
Dealbreaker74

I was off base with that spring over conversion comment. This is a full size truck, not a Scout.
Those could be the original springs. Just need some TLC.