IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Product Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
dkminors

Member Number: 1337
Default 33 gal SII tank

I'm thinking about buying one of your tanks and installing an in-tank pump. I haven't seen any write-ups on this and am curious if you have seen this done. I think I found some Ford units that May be a good starting point but any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: 33 gal SII tank

We actually offer the 33 gallon tank with a in-tank type fuel pump setup. We just sold one last week. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it as we had it shipped direct from the manufacturer to our customer. I just added the option to our online store so if you want to go that route it can be purchased online. The extra cost for the in-tank set up, not including the fuel pump itself, is an extra $160.

33 gallon fuel tank for 1971-80 Scout II, terra, traveler

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
dkminors

Perfect. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be ordering the setup in the next several weeks.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
dkminors

I ordered the 33 gal. Tank with efi in-tank pump modifications along with the in-tank pump. I know the tank will be drop shipped from the mfgr., but the pump I received yesterday doesn't have the mounting assembly that would serve as an attachment point (and hole cover) to the top of the tank.

I'm assuming you meant to send me the entire assembly rather than just the pump and an inlet strainer. Apologies for posting this here vs. Calling you, but your flyer in the shipment makes very clear that I only have 48 hours to report any discrepancies in the order. I May not have had time to call you on Monday.

Please let me know if you really meant to send me the entire assembly vs. What I received or if I need to research and source the assembly on my own. If that is the case I'm not sure I need the pump and strainer I was sent.

On the other hand if the rest of the assembly is being shipped from the tank manufacturer, that's great. If I'm understanding it correctly the sender, metal filter, and other mounting doo dads (shown in the product photo) will be sent along with the tank so perhaps the fuel pump base/cover will be included with that package. To be clear, the only items I received relating to the tank were the bare pump and strainer.

I'll take no offense if you delete this post.

Thanks,

dan
Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

The fuel tank should come with the rest of the needed parts to complete the in-tank pump setup. Once the tank arrives, if you feel you're still missing a component or have a question, let us know.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
dkminors

Thanks Jeff.

Do you know if the mfr. Will give me a heads up on when I should be looking for a delivery? I'm in no great hurry, but it would be helpful to know when I should be looking for it to show up.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

No heads up on a drop ship order but I'll try and keep an eye out for it and let you know when it ships. Usually they have our orders out next day, but being yours is for the intank fuelpump, they May not keep that one in stock and need to build it.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 05-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
dkminors

Received the tank about a week ago. Had to hammer the efi pump mount/cover to flat again as it was used in shipping to protect the tank connections from whatever the shippers put it through. Styrofoam probably would have worked better to protection the tank, but I got it flat enough to seal off just fine.

My question is whether or not it's safe to use the straight end fuel connections on the pump mount/cover for efi system pressures. It seems to me it would be much safer to have barbed ends to avoid the fuel hoses unexpectedly slipping off the connections under pressure. I will likely rebuild this myself as there isn't room to add the barbs to the current assembly due to how close this is to the plate.

You May want to address this with the fabricator. If I'm off base let me know as well.

While I'm giving feedback I might as well suggest that it May make more sense to have the efi fuel pick-up more towards the center and back as far as practical vs. The front left of the tank. Will work better that way when climbing uphill and perhaps off camber. Basically reversing the position of the sender and pump locations is what I'm suggesting. I can send a photo of the setup I have if you need.

Overall a really well constructed tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by dkminors; 05-22-2017 at 08:55 AM..
dkminors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkminors View Post
Received the tank about a week ago. Had to hammer the efi pump mount/cover to flat again as it was used in shipping to protect the tank connections from whatever the shippers put it through. Styrofoam probably would have worked better to protection the tank, but I got it flat enough to seal off just fine.
Wow that looks terrible Dan. I'm sorry to see that happen and will definitely be forwarding your pictures to them. I agree that they need to package those products a lot better.

Quote:
My question is whether or not it's safe to use the straight end fuel connections on the pump mount/cover for efi system pressures. It seems to me it would be much safer to have barbed ends to avoid the fuel hoses unexpectedly slipping off the connections under pressure. I will likely rebuild this myself as there isn't room to add the barbs to the current assembly due to how close this is to the plate.

You May want to address this with the fabricator. If I'm off base let me know as well.
As for the barbless ends, I discussed it with our shop foreman Darren and concluded that for a TBI system running under 15psi that it should be fine however we do agree that at least a bubble on the end to keep the line from coming off should have been done from the manufacturer. Anything running higher pressure than that for either a LS swap or different fuel injection system running a higher pressure we would either bubble the end of the tubes and use Weatherhead hose or use a compression fitting on them that converts over to barb or AN-6 fitting.

Quote:
While I'm giving feedback I might as well suggest that it May make more sense to have the efi fuel pick-up more towards the center and back as far as practical vs. The front left of the tank. Will work better that way when climbing uphill and perhaps off camber. Basically reversing the position of the sender and pump locations is what I'm suggesting. I can send a photo of the setup I have if you need.
As for the location of the fuel pickup, that's the only place that really has the room for it unless you have a body lift. Factory, the 19 gallon tank is sloped in the front and spaced down by a rib in the body to make room for the fuel lines. All the aftermarket 30 plus gallon tanks that I have seen are this way for this reason.

Quote:
Overall a really well constructed tank.
Yes they definitely are a well made USA made product but we will definitely pass on your experience to them so that we can hopefully get them made even better.

On the picture I attached, this is an Anything Scout tank that we modified for in tank pump. This had a TBI on a 345 so the line connections you see on it worked fine. However we are now installing a 496 Chevy big block with a Fitech system and since that runs a higher fuel pressure we will be installing compession fittings on the end of the tubes that convert over to AN-6 hose fittings.
Attached Images

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
dkminors

Thanks Jeff for the feedback. Makes sense.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

Think I mentioned this to you at the last BABS meeting at the Smoking Pig, might be worth looking into. Looks like they make several different types. Just not sure how they mount them.
Attached Images

1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote