IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
daniel_salzman

Member Number: 5350
Default Re: 1974 Scout Gauges not working

Ok...so I finally got the voltage regulator and am installing it now. As promised, here are pictures of the back of the gauges. Both have a cvr box attached to the back. I put the borg warner on the oil/tempgauge the way it was laid out in a linked post earlier...and tried it. No dice..needles got buried. Pulled the second box from the fuel alt gauge since there was some advice that that cvr shouldn't be there (see picture) and tried again. Still no dice. Gauges still buried.

Just noticed that my board on the oil/temp gauge has some stripping coming up between the dash light and the mounting screw for the cvr. Could that be it? If so what's the fix. Pic attached...

....update 3 hours later. Ran a wire between the mounting screw for the cvr to the lightbulb to bypass the break in the circuitboard wiring (last picture). Re-installed ...tested the posts on the back of all three gauges (gas/oil/temp). All of them were at five volts when the ignition was on which I believe is correct. Temp and gas buried to the right and the the oil gauge isn't moving even when engine running. Seems strange as I believe I am getting the right voltage at all three gauges. Lights inside the gauges coming on so I know there is power. Gauge lights on when headlights off until they are screwed in and grounded..then they work correctly. This is driving me crazy!

A few posts on the oil/temp gauge loose. Could that be it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altfuelgauge.jpg (35.5 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg oiltempgauge.jpg (57.5 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg tempoilgaugeboard copy.jpg (51.8 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Oil:tempwithwirejumper.jpg (50.8 KB, 382 views)

Last edited by daniel_salzman; 01-20-2013 at 05:02 PM..
daniel_salzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

As stated previously, there should be only one cvr associated with your instruments and it will be part of the oil/temp pod. The other one can be stashed away as a spare. I'm pretty sure the circuit board for the oil/temp pod is not identical to the board for the alt/fuel pod. The pcb for the alt/fuel should have a '+' Mark that corresponds with one ammeter gauge terminal, and a '-' Mark corresponding with the other ammeter gauge terminal, so that you can tell the two apart for wiring purposes. Also, there should be no copper pathway from the ammeter terminals down to the bottom of the gauge as seen in your pic. There should simply be two circular shaped copper contacts around the perimeter of the gauge terminals. The pcb for the oil/temp pod should not have any +/- marks on it, but it should have little contact notches cut out towards the bottom to accommodate the cvr. It looks to me like you have two oil/temp style pcb's, one of which is on your alt/fuel pod by mistake. Someone played a fast one on you there. That dog ain't never gonna hunt. You need the proper pcb for each gauge pod. Use the pcb in the best condition for the oil/temp gauge and source a correct pcb for the alt/fuel. You won't be able to jury rig it with what you have now.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
daniel_salzman

Wow you are right. Should have caught that. I ordered a replacement pcb for alt/fuel and switched it out. The new one I installed is clearly for the oil/temp. Will get a new one and give it another shot. Thanks very much.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
daniel_salzman

One other thing. There was a cvr type box on the back of the alt/fuel gauge. I realize it is currently the wrong pcb right now but that box was on the original correct pcb. Should that stay? My plan is to pull leave the cvr (borg warner) on the oil/temp gauge and swap out the pcb on the alt/fuel as soon as I get it. Question is does that cvr thing belong there or should I just leave it off?

Regardless I ordered the new pcb and should have it by the weekend.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

I'm going off a distant memory here, but I had a Jeep pickup that was doing something similar and iirc it was s short in the wire to the fuel tank that was causing the problem. If you have an ohm meter, what's the reading between the wire going to the tank and ground?
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Scoutboy74

Just to avoid any potential issues, my advice to you is to follow the factory layout to the letter. That means cvr attached to the back of the oil/temp pod with corresponding correct pcb only! Alt/fuel gauge with corresponding correct pcb and no cvr. It weren't broke frum the faktree! There had to be a reason why they dun it the way they dun it. There are times when there is more than one acceptable way to skin a sivot cat, but I don't think this event qualifies as such.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
daniel_salzman

Ok...finally got a new pcb...swapped it out...installed the borg warner cvr and two out of three are now working.

Temp gauge works great, fuel gauge works but when the tank is full it only registers just above half. I am fine with that..

Oil pressure gauge totally dead. Checked pegs on the back and there is current. I'm thinking I probably fried the gauge in the process of trying to fix it.

Any ideas? Planning on ordering a replacement oil pressure gauge.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
Scoutboy74

That's good progress. the fact that even one gauge besides the ammeter is now working means that the cvr is going its job. The ammeter has a direct battery feed and is not associated with the cvr at all. The others all need the cvr. So the puzzle pieces involved in gauge function are the gauges themselves, their individual senders, and the circuitry running between each sender and its corresponding gauge. The temp sender is threaded into the intake manifold near the thermostat housing. It will have a green wire connected to it. When the engine is at normal operating temperature, the gauge needle should be reading just left of center. On the stock temp and oil gauges, the entire horizontal line inside the l and the h indicates normal condition, with the middle as ideal. The oil sender is threaded into the oil gallery on the left hand side of the engine block above the oil pan as viewed from your driver seat. There will also be a green wire connected to it. You should not rush to conclude that your oil gauge is bad. It May be bad, but the problem could also lie with the sender, or in the wire from the sender to the gauge. Same thing goes for the fuel gauge. The sender is part of the fuel float/pickup assembly which rests inside the tank. The wire connections are on the outside where the sender body is secured to the tank. The tank must be dropped in order to access the sender and wire connections. All of these gauges work by responding to resistance in the circuit. The temp sender adjusts the resistance in its circuit in response to the coolant heating up. The oil sender adjusts resistance in response to the pressure of the motor oil pushing against it. The fuel gauge adjusts resistance in relation to where the float arm is resting in the rheostat cradle based on fuel level. So the sleuthing opportunities continue for you. How exciting!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
Richard

Member Number: 969

Quick question:

so where does one find a unit like this? The resistor/regulator on the back of the gauge?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
daniel_salzman

I got mine from a great Scout dealer here in CA.

8747 w avenue c2 Lancaster, CA 93536
(661) 728-9552

he pulled it off an old model and sent it to me. I think I paid ten bucks.

Tags
electrical, fuse, gauge