IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Product Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
EastTXTraveler

Member Number: 1612
Default Tom Woods Offset Ujoint?

I ordered one Tom woods offset ujoint from IHPA for my 78 Scout II and can't find the answer to my question anywhere. Setup of my truck is 4" SUA lift, 5" eye to eye shackles and 6 degree shims to improve caster. Scout is 95% on road with off road being mainly trails (no rock crawling).

Where should I install the offset ujoint, at the transfer case or at the front axle or does it matter? And do I need 2 offset u joints, one for the tcase and one for the axle side of the front driveshaft or should one be fine for my purposes?
EastTXTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581
Default Re: Tom Woods Offset Ujoint?

You will need two of the offset ujoints for your application at both the transfer case and axle. With those ujoints you are limited to about 20mph in 4wd as the offset makes them vibrate.

There is a possibility of clearancing your yokes where the driveshaft ears contact with a grinder to allow the standard ujoints to rotate at full droop as well. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
crylance

Member Number: 4822

Is this the usual setup needed to run a 4" lift. I currently have a 2.5" lift on my 1980 SII but recently bent a spring and have some rubbing issues with my 32's. I have read some people saying they have no issues and others saying their front driveline binds and breaks u-joints.

I am currently trying to decide where to go next with my Scout, just replace the 2.5" or go to 4" or save up and go all out. I guess my question is really is a 4" lift a good Idea or will it become more of a hassle trying to get the drivelines to work well and any unforeseen issues. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Chris
crylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

Chris,

We sell a lot of 4" lifts and this is usually the formula we follow:

4" lift kit of your choice
Extended brake hoses
4* caster shims
Longer center pins
5" shackles front and rear

You will need to spin the driveline by hand at full droop and see if it binds or not. Some driveshafts have smaller ears than others and don't seem to bind. You can either purchase the offset ujoints or get a grinder and clearance the yokes where the driveshaft is hitting. This will give you the clearance to run the 32" tires or get another 2.5" lift kit and run a 31" tire. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Scooter

Member Number: 917

I only needed one off-set U-joint in my SOA conversion in my 74. Installed at the transfer case side of the shaft from the front axle. Only place that I was getting any type of binding, was at the front output yoke of transfer cast. The Tom Woods off-set U-joint solved that issue.

Did not need two of them. Only one was needed

As suggested, mount your shafts in place, and rotate them by hand. This should give you some sort of indication if there is any kind of binding at the U-joint/s.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
meisterj

Member Number: 8515

Michael,
I'm installing a 2.5" lift and have read and received varied and conflicting recommendations/advice. Would you please share the 'formula that you follow' for a 2.5" lift?
Thanks
meisterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I only needed one off-set U-joint in my SOA conversion in my 74. Installed at the transfer case side of the shaft from the front axle. Only place that I was getting any type of binding, was at the front output yoke of transfer cast. The Tom Woods off-set U-joint solved that issue.

Did not need two of them. Only one was needed

As suggested, mount your shafts in place, and rotate them by hand. This should give you some sort of indication if there is any kind of binding at the U-joint/s.
Thanks for the input but lets keep the discussion based on 2.5" and 4" SUA(Spring Under Axle) lifts. With you having a SOA(Spring Over Axle) lift it requires a completely different set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterj View Post
Michael,
I'm installing a 2.5" lift and have read and received varied and conflicting recommendations/advice. Would you please share the 'formula that you follow' for a 2.5" lift?
Thanks
The formula for the 2.5" lift kit is exactly the same as the 4" lift kit that Michael already mentioned. Obviously you will have less of a chance of front driveshaft binding with the 2.5" lift.

As to how much lift to choose from, keep in mind the higher the lift the chances are the truck will ride stiffer due to the larger arch in the leafsprings versus one with just a little lift.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
Mochamike

Member Number: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dimock View Post
You will need to spin the driveline by hand at full droop and see if it binds or not. Some driveshafts have smaller ears than others and don't seem to bind. You can either purchase the offset ujoints or get a grinder and clearance the yokes where the driveshaft is hitting.
This.

A CV joint at the T-case also helps (just a little.... Not worth changing to it).
Another factor that changes geometry is T-case location.
If it's stock, then fine. But sometimes drop/lower the t-case for better angle to the rear DS.
Problem is, if the motor mounts stay the same, you are actually tilting the front outputs on the T-case up a bit, creating a greater angle (this is common on a lot of Jeep lifts.

The first thing I'd do is make sure the caster & steering is correct/best you can get it.
Do what Michael suggested, then measure angles with an angle finder at each joint.
Put the offset joint on the one with the greatest angle binds.

Keep in mind it creates vibrations at high speeds.