IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
jchazen

Member Number: 5841
Default Buying scout out of state?

Hey guys I have been looking for a Scout for a daily driver for a while now and have not had much luck here in CA. I have found a some out of state but I'm very hesitant because I don't know anyone in these states to checkout the rigs and not sure how I would handle the money/title transaction along with getting it shipped, basically buying it unseen and shipped.. So looking for some advice from the guys that have bought out of state vehicles.
Thanks

Last edited by jchazen; 09-02-2013 at 11:11 AM..
jchazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Danny Phillips

Member Number: 1682
Default Re: Buying scout out of state?

I bought my Scout II in northern washington for the same reason, I couldn't find anything here at the time. I got a signed title and bill of sale, threw it on a trailer and brought it home. I deliberately chose 1975 and older for dmv/smog purposes. Title transfer was a breeze. The only inspection from dmv was verifying the vin on the door jamb to the one on the title. I don't remember what it cost me but it wasn't much. Hope this helps some. Danny
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
jchazen

Member Number: 5841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny phillips View Post
I bought my Scout II in northern washington for the same reason, I couldn't find anything here at the time. I got a signed title and bill of sale, threw it on a trailer and brought it home. I deliberately chose 1975 and older for dmv/smog purposes. Title transfer was a breeze. The only inspection from dmv was verifying the vin on the door jamb to the one on the title. I don't remember what it cost me but it wasn't much. Hope this helps some. Danny
Yes those are the same years I'm looking at for the same reason..only problem is I wouldn't be able to personally go look at it, I would have to have it shipped
jchazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Maybe post up the general locales to see if any forum members might be willing to help out. A certain leap of faith May be required, but by and large most folks involved in this hobby are pretty trustworthy.
Several years ago, I was contacted by a member of this forum who lived out of the area and was in the process of purchasing a lot of three scouts near where I lived. He and I had only met once before very briefly, but on the recommendation of another member who knew the both us, he felt that I could be trusted. He had me get with the seller to look over the vehicles, send him some pics and provide my own assessment of them. Based on that, he reached an accord with the seller and asked me to broker the deal for him. He sent me the purchase money and also my compensation as cash through the mail! somehow the address got mixed up and his envelope of cash ended up with my next door neighbor. It was touch and go for a few hours trying to track it down. To his credit, he didn't get accusatory with me when I was telling him that I didn't have the money and I didn't know where it was. All he said was that it should be there by now. I agreed with him, but all I could keep saying was that I didn't have it. Fortunately, my neighbor at the time was very upstanding and brought me the miss-addressed envelop obviously full of cash. Whew! I wound up towing one of those scouts up to the Binder Bee in brooks, or for personal delivery to the new owner. I also made arrangements to store the other two vehicles until he could come down with a trailer to haul one and drive the one runner home. There where so many different points where this deal could have gone totally sideways in a bunch of different directions, but somehow, someway, against all conceivable odds, it all came together and went off to a happy conclusion. That takes 100% honesty and integrity from all parties involved to pull off, but it can still happen even in this day and age.
Organ Donor - '72 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - seized 392/TF727/7500# GVW - "Use my body to keep you alive!"
Mongo - '71 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/4.10 RA17/6100# GVW - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094

Hi,

I have bought two IH vehicles out of state. The first was my 62 travelette. Originally it was brought to san diego and put on ebay. I saw the truck and told him I was not willing to pay what it had already been bid up to at that point. The auction ended, the winning bidder saw it and backed out. Then he, the owner, took the truck back home to alaska. I contacted him, we eventually agreed on a price, I sent him 2/3rds payment and waited for the truck. Two months later he was knocking on my front door with my truck, and the current California registration I had insisted on as part of the deal.

So it can be done, but I wrote up a contract he signed before I sent him any money to help guarantee its safe delivery. I covered such things as what if he didn't deliver the truck, or it gets damaged while in his possession, or I don't have the remainder of his money when he delivers it, etc. But everybody was honest and it all went as smoothly as possible. If you want, I can send you a copy of that contract if you think it will help in your inter-state transaction.

However, I've recently bought another truck, a rust-free 65 c1500 4x4. It's in nebraska, and I'm here in los angeles. I have yet to figure out how to get it here, or where I'll put it once I do. It has a running, 85k miles 304 and 4 speed. I intend to part the truck out, taking the axles, doors and mirrors. Hopefully someone else will take everything that remains, including the d44 and IH axles from my c120 4x4 truck, but I digress.

Just want to say buying a vehicle in another state can be done, but be sure you and the seller have a good understanding of all the facets of the transaction first, and agree on all the possible "what if's" that might possibly happen.

Steve

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 09-02-2013 at 04:06 PM..
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543

When you decide to buy sight unseen you should find a reputable car/auto shipper who you trust to do the visual inspection and relay any problems he see's to you before he loads it..

Do the buy contingent on the visual inspection. Many times having an escrow company handle the money is the best way. It eliminates the risk to both parties. Granted this an imperative with high dollar transactions but still a good idea..

As for CA title application on a federal emissions car/truck simply buy 75 or older. You'll need a vin verification. Aaa is awesome for that.. They will need to inspect all vin stamping locations and see that they agree with the out of state title or bill of sale.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094

Email sent with a copy of my purchase contract, as requested. Let me know if you got it ok.
Thanks.
Steve
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote