IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Fuel Injection
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
dntbuck

Member Number: 9949
Default Holley Sniper EFI

I am replacing the Carb on my 345 with a Sniper EFI. Since I will have a Electric Fuel Pump and the EFI, do I need the Vapor Storage Canister and/or the Liquid/Vapor Separator? Thinking I don't and can go directly from pump to EFI. Thanks for any help/input.
dntbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Holley Sniper EFI

We generally keep these emission devices intact when performing fuel injection swaps as they help the tank breathe yet not put fumes into the air.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
dmf6978

Member Number: 8771

I just posted about EFI for my 67 1200B Truck. I was also looking at the Holly Sniper kit. I really like the idea of the LCD monitor and it self learns the system. However with this kit if i wanted to time idle then my distributor would have to be upgraded, but I am not too sure where to get this from or who would make it. I called Holly and they said they dont have anything since International made their own proprietary back in the day. I know that Hamilton EFI is out there which has the entire kit, but I also like the idea of the holly carb fitting 1:1. Still torn which system to use. Then there is fitech.
dmf6978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
dntbuck

Member Number: 9949

dmf7968 - I upgraded to the DUI Distributor. Was told, found out that they will work very good together. And have been told personally by several people I know that I will not regret going to both. We'll see once the engine comes back from rebuild and I get it running again.
dntbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
Bill USN-1
F.I. Moderator

Member Number: 7

The DUI distr "can" be converted to work with timing control.
I also convert the factory distr to work with the aftermarket systems.
My is a direct fit since it is your distr converted to work.
It is also about 1/2 the price of the DUI.
You just drop mine in and follow the system instructions for timing control.
It is just the distributor.
if your system calls for other parts like a coil driver, those will still be needed.

So the bottom line is if you want a system that will do everything mine does and have all the parts that mine includes, your probably going to end up paying more than if you just bought my kit.
But you do have options.

I have built distributors for Holley, FiTech, MSD....etc

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
Learn to do it right.
Bill USN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #6
New_SR2

Member Number: 9968

How are people handling the return with dual fuel tanks? I just found a marked down 2300 Sniper kit and I am hoping to try it out as a stop bridge until going with Hamilton FI.

I think I have all of it figured out with the exception of how to run the return. Already have an Electric Fuel Pump installed. Has the dual poly tanks as replacements, so wondering if that will make things more difficult for the return also.
New_SR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_SR2 View Post
How are people handling the return with dual fuel tanks? I just found a marked down 2300 Sniper kit and I am hoping to try it out as a stop bridge until going with Hamilton FI.

I think I have all of it figured out with the exception of how to run the return. Already have an Electric Fuel Pump installed. Has the dual poly tanks as replacements, so wondering if that will make things more difficult for the return also.
You will need a valve and switch set up specifically for this. We sell one on our online store - https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...HVLVE-SET.html

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #8
New_SR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
You will need a valve and switch set up specifically for this. We sell one on our online store - https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...HVLVE-SET.html
Hi jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. I found this thread from binderplanet (hopefully it is OK to link it here) discussing dual tanks with FI setup. Unfortunately it looks like none of the images discussed are showing up for me (could be work internet, or possibly they are just too old).

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/i...l-tanks.48585/

So if I run the valve you linked, I would put that before the full pump, (closer to the tanks)? And that would need to be used in conjunction with the manual switch located on the drivers floor?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:39 AM   #9
dmf6978

Member Number: 8771

Hi Jeff. I am sort of in the same boat SR2 is. I have dual tanks in my truck and going with the Holly EFI setup. I will work on the timing later and have bill probably convert my distributor over to electronic. My question to you is why do I need your dual tank switch over compared to what I have now? Is it because my switch cant handle the pressure from the new system? I have a nice original switch in the truck now, and no offense but i don't like the new toggle switch that comes in your kit, so if there was a way to wire my switch to your hardware im fine with that.
dmf6978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 AM   #10
New_SR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf6978 View Post
Hi Jeff. I am sort of in the same boat SR2 is. I have dual tanks in my truck and going with the Holly EFI setup. I will work on the timing later and have bill probably convert my distributor over to electronic. My question to you is why do I need your dual tank switch over compared to what I have now? Is it because my switch cant handle the pressure from the new system? I have a nice original switch in the truck now, and no offense but i don't like the new toggle switch that comes in your kit, so if there was a way to wire my switch to your hardware im fine with that.
Same question here, and on my end I don't mind spending the money and supporting Jeff, just want to make sure I understand how the system works before jumping in. What prevents us from running a return line to just one of the tanks? And leaving the mechanical valve installed as is?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #11
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

The electric switch for fuel injection has both the fuel feed and return lines running thru it. So if you switch to the left tank, the feed for the return line will also go the the left tank. Hope that makes better sense as why you need a valve like this. If you are hell bent on having an old school manual valve like what is factory on a Scout 800, plan on installing a second valve so the return lines can be switched as well. Otherwise you risk filling up a tank and over filling it if you are running on the opposite fuel tank.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #12
New_SR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
The electric switch for fuel injection has both the fuel feed and return lines running thru it. So if you switch to the left tank, the feed for the return line will also go the the left tank. Hope that makes better sense as why you need a valve like this. If you are hell bent on having an old school manual valve like what is factory on a Scout 800, plan on installing a second valve so the return lines can be switched as well. Otherwise you risk filling up a tank and over filling it if you are running on the opposite fuel tank.

I see. So the risk is really just fear of overfilling on a single tank by running the return to a tank you are not pulling gas from?

I wonder if there is a way to T it into the fuel line before the pump, but after the manual valve? Or does it need to run into a tank and not back into the fuel line?

So the electrical switching valve you linked would replace the mechanical valve that is from stock?
Old 01-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
I see. So the risk is really just fear of overfilling on a single tank by running the return to a tank you are not pulling gas from?
Yes. You have to have the return line going to the same tank that is being drawn from for the feed.

Quote:
I wonder if there is a way to T it into the fuel line before the pump, but after the manual valve? Or does it need to run into a tank and not back into the fuel line?
The return line cannot have any back pressure so it always ends up being dumped back into the tank.

Quote:
So the electrical switching valve you linked would replace the mechanical valve that is from stock?
Yes

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 01-17-2020, 04:44 AM   #14
Scooter

Member Number: 917

I have installed a couple of those valves, that Jeff linked to. It eliminates the manual valve completely, and puts an electric switch up on the dash. Once installed, the single fuel gauge is wired into the new valve, and will work for both tanks. Never had an issue with overfilling either tank. The valve isolates each tank while in use. The instruction sheet that came with that electric valve was fairly thorough.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote