IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
rip_lightnin

Member Number: 7212
Default turn signal chaos....

here's what happened.... went to turn left... hit left blinker.... left blinker indicator light came on with no flashing... I think mmmk, need to replace my flasher.... replace my flasher no change...... keep driving like that for apprx 1 1/2 weeks, then I go to turn right, and nothing, no indicator light or anything, left side as well, same thing.... headed home from work that night I noticed that while I am stopped at a stop sign I look at the reflection in a store front window directly across from me that my front turn signal lights are actuating like brake lights getting brighter with the actuation of the brake pedal... all lights work like they are supposed to except the turn signal switch and the brake pedal thing.......
What do you think the issue might be, I do have a new turn signal switch on hand. but wondered if it could be a grounding issue or possibly something else...

LET THE MELDING OF MINDS BEGIN !
rip_lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260
Default Re: turn signal chaos....

Well, I took the switch out of my 65 pu for repair(column from a later 1210) and mine was having all sorta issues. Main thing was a through cleaning. With your situation, I would try yet another flasher(have bought defective ones before) on the signals getting brighter with the brakes... Dont all vehicles have front directional brake indicators? sounds like the contacts in the swich could permaybesibly have come loose and are causing an aestheticly comical short/eating flashers at the same time? Mine had an over travel issue that required shimming to get the contacts to align properly. I know how to continuity test the switch. I had to do mine not knowing which witch was which cuz the plug was gone. How many leads come out of your unit?

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad D-Max(to be)"

Fight the NFA in the Supreme Court! DTOM!
https://gunowners.org/gun-owners-of-...supreme-court/
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260

On the switch function, it should be more or less similar for any vehicle with combo rear lights that have a dim/bright function only and not a seperate signal. You may be able to use this for testing purposes: (In my case) Three of the wires are for the rear (brake) lights. They interplay in the brake light(bright) circuit. I'll call it a disconector. In the middle position, all three of these wires should have continuity with eachother. One goes to each rear light (left and right matter here) and one to the brake switch. When signaling this circuit disconects one side from the brake circuit in order to use the bright function as a signal. That would be the first thing I would check. Un plug the switch, and determine wich pole goes to the brake switch. Signal one way or the other and continuity test the other poles on the brake switch pole. If ANY of the wires other than the non disconected brake light have continuity with the brake switch, you have your issue found. Up to you to try and repair or just replace it.
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Zaedster
Future Owner of IH Parts America

Member Number: 7132

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip_lightnin View Post
here's what happened.... went to turn left... hit left blinker.... left blinker indicator light came on with no flashing... I think mmmk, need to replace my flasher.... replace my flasher no change...... keep driving like that for apprx 1 1/2 weeks, then I go to turn right, and nothing, no indicator light or anything, left side as well, same thing.... headed home from work that night I noticed that while I am stopped at a stop sign I look at the reflection in a store front window directly across from me that my front turn signal lights are actuating like brake lights getting brighter with the actuation of the brake pedal... all lights work like they are supposed to except the turn signal switch and the brake pedal thing.......
What do you think the issue might be, I do have a new turn signal switch on hand. but wondered if it could be a grounding issue or possibly something else...

LET THE MELDING OF MINDS BEGIN !
I would first check the condition of the grounds like you said at the light buckets themselves as well as the pigtail element overall condition. Sometimes the bulbs don't make a good ground around the casing when they are corroded.
Zaedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

It's a Scout II right? In addition to what's already been stated, keep in mind that the SII firewall bulkhead connectors SUCK! They suck balls. Unless we're talking about a very late model SII with the updated (actually retrofitted to use the older, but more robust D series Pickall BHCs) for the most part the SII BHC's are total garbage and are the source of a great many electrical gremlins.
Organ Donor - '72 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - 392/TF727/4.10 RA17/7500# GVW - "Use my body to keep you alive!"
Mongo - '71 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/4.10 RA17/6100# GVW - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
rip_lightnin

Member Number: 7212

thanks for the ideas... and it is a scout II, in the 1971 variety
rip_lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote