IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Fabrication
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260
Default Rag joint column lengths and body lift

Hopefully sombody out there has info on how to fabricate or setup a lower half of a rag joint column. Heres the story: I have a 1965 1100 PU with some po mods. Basically, the truck has axles and power steering gear from a 69-71 1200, along with a 2" body lift. It has the later parts from the axle all the way to the end of the steering column in the cab. What I'm trying to do is change the interior look(mainly the steering wheel) back to a four spoke wheel that I have and also have a functional horn button and non jerry rigged signal switch. What I have so far is a basic idea, remove the truck upper column(wrong wheel spline) and replace with one from a scout 800. The problem I face is that said upper halves are at diferent lengths. (Measured from the end of the joint to the gap between wheel and signal switch cover) truck upper is roughly 34" and the scout 800 upper is 25". So you can probably see I'm needing something to fill the gap in the lower. I'm thinking it might also be a good time to change from rag joints to cv joints? Or are they over rated? I'm open to ideas, I'm trying to use as much period IH stuff as I can, however if I can get a segment of telescoping shaft like whats there and bolt generic modern joints on either end I'll take that as an easy option, I really don't know the ins and outs of steering column stuff real well yet. Atleast as far as columns more modern than the ones permanently attached to the steering box. I don't have a scout 800 upper yet but am eyeing one available for sale, thats how I got the measurement.

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad Dura-Max(to be)"

VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!
"SHHHHH! Be wary, wary quiet! Im hunting turkeys"
Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260
Default Re: Rag joint column lengths and body lift

Right, I've finally found my solution.... I think....
Borgeson has telescopic steel shafts in 24/36" lengths. Basically my plan is to get a 36" shaft (aroung $75), the scout 800 upper column, and remove whats in there. Then I will mockup the 800 column and my wheel exactly where I want them, mount them, get a couple new joints to match whats on the existing lower column, do some measuring, and shorten the 36" shaft to fit. Hopefully my wallet wont have an emotional break down in the process. I hope to be able to absorb enough $ impact with a trade for the truck column I have now to make this relatively inexpensive. Wish me luck boys, I'm going in!

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad Dura-Max(to be)"

VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!
"SHHHHH! Be wary, wary quiet! Im hunting turkeys"
Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote