IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Red

Member Number: 8326
Default 1973 IH pick up carb questions

Hello,
I purchased a 1973 IH 1010 v8 pick up truck last year from another owner and I believe I'm the 4th owner of the truck. I'm a newbie IH owner and bought the car just to drive around and learn about fixing cars.

I'm currently focusing on the carburetor and had a few questions.

From what I can tell the truck currently has a Holley carb: r 6674 a

anyone have an idea if this is the original carburetor? If not, what is the closest I could get to an original part? Is it worth re-building the one that currently exists r 6674 a and what is the re-build kit part number?

Additional questions:
there seem to be several adaptations that someone has made around the carburetor here are the ones I've noticed: 1) home-made pvc pipe rigged up and used as an air filter adapter (any suggestions for replacement part? Does it matter?), 2) throttle linkage set up doesn't look quite right, any comments? 3) some hoses look like there are missing like the one that goes to the air vacuum cleaner chamber 4) fuel line to carb - should it be a solid metal line all the way into carb or is that really where a fuel filter goes?

Name:  IMG_2081.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2085.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2084.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2083.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  70.7 KB
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904
Default Re: 1973 IH pick up carb questions

Hello and welcome to the IH world!!

I can't say if that is the correct carb for your engine. Maybe someone will chime in with that info. Here's a link to a kit for it though http://www.IHPartsAmerica.com/store/dpc-carbkit.html
If you look at the third line up from the bottom it lists your 6674 number.

Unless you're going for an all oe look, I'd just get a parts store air filter housing. You know cheap china chrome! The missing vacuum line on the air filter is to help with cold start ups. Where do you live? Does it get cold? It's designed to pull warm air off the exhaust manifold until the engine warms up.

As for the linkage it would probably be best to find someone near you that has one of those trucks. Or knows about them.

1979 Scout II, 304, 727, 3.73, 31s, Spartan locker rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #3
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

Red, yes that is the factory stock carb for the "IH 400" engine,....better known as the amc-401 cubic inch v-8.
A great engine by-the way. There should be a metal tag on the forward end of the right hand valve cover with the engine size.

It is a 70's smog carb, Holley model 2210c, and I would suggest a replacement rather than a rebuild. Keep the carb as a momento or in case you want to return the truck to original condition.

I recommend the Holley model 0-7448, in a 350 cfm size.
They come with a manual choke (cable operated), but an electric choke can be purchased as well and installed.
I recommend the electric choke.
This will run better and is much more tune-able.
I think IHPA sells these and could be in stock???
Call them on the phone.

Your fuel filter is ok, but maybe placed a bit further away from the carb May be better.

The pvc adaptor is pure red-neck engineering.

If you decide to rebuild the 2210c, ask and I can provide some data from the IH service manual.
There is a "sticky thread" near the top of this forum for the 2210 model carbs,....lots of good rebuild info there!
IHPA kit #5668 is the rebuild kit for that carb.

As for throttle linkage, lokar makes good throttle linkage kits. Make sure you know which engine and trans you have in case you need the auto trans linkage kit too.
Need better photos of the linkages to figure out what you got going on there. Side view, top view, etc.

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina

Last edited by 1975IH200; 08-18-2016 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: more tech data.
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Red

Thank you for the info folks, really appreciated! I guess now I have to decide what to do next: re-build or replace. I'm happy to have this forum as a resource to help out
Old 08-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Red

Hello 1975ih200, I'm actually going to go ahead and try the re-build and if that doesn't work I'll purchase a new or re-built carb. I totally respect your advice to get a new one but I think it will be a good learning experience for me and fun. I did take a look at the sticky thread with is useful and I'll review several more times. If you have additional info from the IH service manual to share, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
red
Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

E-mail sent.

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags