IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Let's use this thread to discuss anything related to the Holley 22xx series carbs (2210, 2210c, 2245, etc.) that were oem on IH products back in the day.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Michael Mayben

Default Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

For identification purposes, here's a shot of a "typical" 22xx (this is a 2210c) used on IH-produced sv 304/345 engines, along with the amc 401. A 2245 is simply another variation of this same basic series.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Michael Mayben

The Holley 22xx series carbs will carry both the IH part number and the Holley "list" number stamped into the flat surface on the passenger side of the main body fuel bowl. Any number cast into the part, is not a list number, but is a part number for that particular part.

This carb is a 2210 with an evaporative emissions system bowl vent, 1975 304/345 pickup with any transmission.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Michael Mayben

Here's most (not all) of the current Holley 2210/2210c collection we have on hand. A few are complete enough to consider a second look into determining if any are suitable for reconditioning. Two came from running vehicles (very poorly running I might add) which received a centerhung Holley 2300 (list 0-7448) conversion.

A few are actually for the amc 401 engine used in '73>'75 travelalls, one is for an mv 404 out of a medium duty truck app.

One is a new chrysler 360/400 version which will be converted to an ihc application for use on any sii which might need to have an original carb setup installed for "smog" purposes. With the exception of the actual Holley list number being inaccurate, that carb will be identical to a new ihc app and will install just as a new ihc-sourced item with all vacuum ports/peripherals in place. Of course...availability of a new Holley 2210/2210c for any ihc app ended about 20 years ago!

Anyone interested in a reconditioned 2210/2210c should contact Jeff at ihon regarding availability of reconditioned mixers...right now, we have no 2245 cores, however...that item was prolly only used by IH in "some" '78>'79 sii apps and is not a very common item.

We also have many core parts for these carbs which might be of interest to some folks. But beware...there are two distinct versions of the 2210/2210c used by ihc....main difference is in the bowl vent location/actuation and the highly-problematic "power valve actuator" system.
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 06-09-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Michael Mayben

Thanks to david fulford in indiana, we now have a 2245 to use for a side-by-side comparative analysis for proper carb identification. This carb came from david's rig way back when which was converted to a 2300 centerhung (list 0-7448) with electric choke. This carb core has several issues which I'm sure david was unaware of, but now he'll find out the rest of the story!!

Throughout this series, the 2210 carb/parts will always be on the left hand side of the pic, the 2245 stuff will be on the right hand side. And...any anti-diesel solenoid and/or dashpot mounted to each carb have been previously removed for clarity.

First off, a shot of both carbs side-by-side, top view. The 2210 has a throttle lever-operated bowl vent, the 2245 does not.

Also notice the "tower" in the center of each carb, the 2210 has no external penetration to the vacuum chamber for the power valve actuator. The 2245 does have a penetration in it's tower, which is "plugged" at the point of manufacture.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
Michael Mayben

Here's a front view of both mixers. 2210 is a previous commercial "reman". How do I know? The ihc part number and Holley list number have been obliterated by media blasting. Very common commercial practice and is not the way to "clean" a carburetor! If the stamped numbers have been blasted off, just think what has happened to the critical surfaces and passages!! Typical practice of "champion" brand remans.

I do know the history of this carb/vehicle. I did a Holley 2300 centerhung conversion on the rig last fall. It has been problematic for several years.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
towpainter3

Member Number: 549

This thread is excellent used it as I rebuilt my 2210 . Its doin good but still has a slight dead spot right off idle.thinking it could possibly be in the accelerator pump but not real sure . Any suggestions would be graetly appreciated thanx brad
towpainter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499

Brad, two things I would check: did you set your idle/mixer screws with an rpm meter attached? It was the first time I had used one for this purpose, works great. Also as you mentioned check the accel pump adjustment. In my experiance these two things have caused hesitation in my scouts. You should be able to see gas squirt down the carb, both sides, the instant you move the accel. I am sure michael will chime in if there is something else.
Ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
towpainter3

Unhappy Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Ron, after doing the adjustments with the tach meter and vac gauge , I still have a little hesitation with truck in gear [auto tranny] . I think after further in spection the accelerator pump rod has been shade treed too many times . I have the rod in slot 2 at this time . truck only stumbles when you have lite presure on the pedal . when you step on it it seems fine im thinkin its fine tuning on the pump but not real sure . here;s my numbers after tuning 20 in.vac 10 degrees timing 30 on the dwell at 700 rpms in neutral any thoughts would be appreciated
towpainter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Michael Mayben

Move the accel pump actuator rod to the slot that will allow a pump shot "quicker/sooner". These superpig rigs must have a real healthy pump shot off idle to make 'em launch.

And ya May need to "straighten" the bend in the rod also, do whatever ya need to do to make it launch clean. Pay no attention to specs. After doing that and testing if it's still not quite like ya want it, then richen the idle mixtures ever so slightly and try again.

The numbers look real good...especially the vacuum! I'm impressed!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
ronmc1954

Toepainter, you might try a different slot theres nothing magic about the slot #, I know I was not able to set the pump travel according to spec. I had to play with it until I got the most travel on the accel pump and maybe just the slightest pressure on the pump at idle meaning, make sure there is no space or play with the pump rod/pump. In other words the slightest movement on the accel moves the pump. I am sure michael will have the answer.
The light pressure on the pedal/stumble May not be the pump. Does the truck ping under load? 10* might be a touch to much.
Does this stumble happen in gear or neutral? The accel pump works when you are depressing the pedal not when it is held in one place. I am sure you are at temp when you are tuning? Choke all the way open? I forgot to check mine after I rebuilt my carb, the choke was staying shut a little too long.
What do you thing michael?

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
ronmc1954

You type fast michael!!!!!

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
towpainter3

Red face Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Can anyone tell me where I might find an airhorn gasket for the 2210c the reman kit didnt have one and the local oil and neon lite stores cant help either. Thanks brad
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
Michael Mayben

Fel-pro bags those up in individual paks. I'll have to do some research for the number though.

Do I need to got try out the new circle cutter I just bought to go into my gasket making tool kit? If I ahd any of those I'd dam shore send one...but I don't! But I can whip some out int e next few days if ya can't find the fel-pros locally.

Have the partmonkee do a look up for an air horn-to-air cleaner gasket for a '78 chrysler product with a 318/360 two barrel carb.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
towpainter3

Thanks man , will have em look it up that way and see what I come up with will post the # if I get one thanks again