IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3
Default Rat Rod Quicky

Ok, so I have this 75 pick up that has been in my family for the better part of 12 years, I have had it for the last 8. It has seen various degrees of service during it's time with us, from daily driven work truck for my dads business to parked in a garage for 2 years back to daily driven and so on. It for the most part gets neglected until I need it, then I work on it enough to keep it running and use it. So that brings us to present day. I recently bought a 3/4 ton suburban, this will be the main tow rig, I also have a 96 volvo that if I can ever get it figured out will act as my primary daily driver. The Scout is months away from complete and I am dying to drive a IH again. I have planned on turning "indy" as it is dubbed into a rat rod style truck for years and plan on doing a complete motor/tranny build with several other things on the rebuild/replace list. I plan on doing this after the Scout is done. However in the mean time I have decided to rattle can paint, put some new wheels and tires on it and some little odds and ends and drive it a couple days a week. My plans are as follows
strip off all chrome and trim from truck
mask it off and rattle can paint it semi gloss black. This will serve two purposes, 1. Will prevent the spread of the surface rust that is beginning to appear on the exposed metal that you will see on the pics that I post tomorrow 2. Give it the flat black look that I am going for.
Have the exhaust from the manifolds to the mufflers redone. I was going to do this myself but think I May just have a muffler shop do it and save myself the time and effort.
Get some steel wheels paint them IH red and run some smoothie hub caps and beauty rings until I can find a decent set of the IH hub caps that I want.
I May also get a flame kit for the exhaust if budget permits.

Thats about it until the second version of the build. I will post some before and after photos.

This should take care of my IH fix without breaking the bank until the Scout is done. Plus give a loved truck some of the attention it deserves.
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Rat Rod Quicky

Great idear Chad!!

Just anutha variation on tha IH theme!

Fellow IH'r/club member Mike roth (last year's Binder Bee chair), just pawned off a similar rig on someone else. A 1010 t'all (73'ish?). Snaked it with the 727 toasted, I built him a fresh one.

He and dan'l hayes dida lowrider deal on it, shaved all tha handles and trim, along with sum 20" wheels (I call 'em pimpers) and meats. But he didn't finish off tha paint before it wuz gone. Had that fake woodgrain with a rattlecan black primer overlay, same kinda stuff I usta put on Mom's buick century in '58 (it wuz pink and white). Back then, black primer spots meant hot rod, even on Mom's buick! Did I git my azz beat or what???

I ain't got no pics of that t'all, but I know Mike does, he actually had tha nerve to bring it to a club meeting last fall! But then the month before, he and his pop showed up in tha 4x4 firewagon! Ya might hit him up and see if he's got sum pics.

Last he an dan'l were jawwin' about it, a four link on tha azzend was in tha plannin' stage.

An check this one, lukas schuler showed it at last year's bee.
Attached Images

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Holy crap, well thats way further than I want to go but damn. And I notice he used a Scout II front frame section there. Interesting. I do plan on putting a fuel cell in during the actual build to get rid of the saddle tanks. I am not going to drop it much more than it is now. Everyone thinks the thing is lowered already. I think that you saw the truck when you were down last time?? Can't remember if I brought it over or not. Anyway, on the actual build I am going to spend most of the budget on motor and trans. Not going to make it a drag truck or anything but I do want it to turn some heads.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Michael Mayben

Yep...the granite build izza airbagger! And lukas always did abuncha sii stuff, just like you boyz!

I did see yore rig when I wuz there at xmas...and I May have said sumthin' about tha lowrider deal???

I'll most likely be at Jeff's late Monday (the 7th) nite, and prolly stay through Friday. Hope we can all hang at tha fire pit!

Jes' do an oldskool/poorboy deal and torch tha springs!!! A homeboy re-arch! And that 97centavos a can rattleblack at wallyworld will work just fine, we can do a paintpardee at that same time! I use the red primer version to "maintain" that astounding paint work on my beater, matches real guud!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Here are the before shots. I will try to get some during shots up Monday. It is at a local muffler shop right now getting the pipes redone. I swung by hd and picked up a bunch of satin black paint for it. Going to try to squirt it on Sunday. Saturday is filled up with helping a buddy move.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

So I started this and of course ended up taking it further than I had intended but that’s the nature of the beast. The below pictures are of the first attempt at painting indy and giving him the rat rod look. As I am sure you will agree, it did not turn out very good.

Needless to say I was not pleased. Way glossier than I wanted also it is hard to tell from these photos but the holes left from years of having tie down brackets, cab over campers, and different mirrors on it that I hoped would "blend in" with the black paint, actually stood out more.

Last edited by ihpartschad; 04-15-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

So upon further review I decided a foul was commited and started over. This time I used the paint that I wanted to and took the time to fill the holes. Also on my wifes suggestion (as she has much better taste than I do) I decided to keep the bottom trim but dress it up with some IH red paint replacing the black that is normally in the middle of the trim.

This is deffinately more in line with the look I was going for.

Last edited by ihpartschad; 04-15-2008 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Some more glamour shots.

Also had new pipes put on it, and spent some time tuning and changing fluids and filters. The old boy is running, sounding and looking better than he has in a long time.

I am putting little finishing touches on it here and there and will probably continue to do that for the foreseeable future. The only remaining major component is the rims and tires. I am going to get a stock set of 50's-60's style hub caps from doc stewart and some beauty rings on stock rims painted the same IH red as the trim and ihonlynorth.com on the tailgate I am trying to justify spending $800 on wide white walls for it. I am having trouble with the cash though so I will probably put the tire that are currently on him on the new set and see how it looks. If I just can't live it I will have to sell off one of the kids or something to pay for the wide whites. Anyone interested in a first born let me know I May have one up for auction soon. Either way I will update the thread when I get them on.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Michael Mayben

Gotta say...after eyeballin' tha pos in person...I'm most impressed with that socal-style beachside paint booth!

'course tha stealth paint work is right up my kazootoo!

Could we maybee see tha sr2 dun up ta match sumtime this decade?

Widewhites???? Look fer summa them oldskool j.c. Whitney "spats". That's what we did when tha white fence paint finally wore off them maypop tires we ran back then. Spats wuz about $3 each plus postage so it took mucho sodee pop bottles ta save up for a set.

Then when "narrow whites" became tha next big deel, we had to save up for those too. Sumtimes we had wides on one side and narrows on ta other.

Then came "redlines"....

Indy best show up trailerdraggin' at tha bee! But as much as we like kidz, bring 'em along...just make dam shore ya take 'em home with ya!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

A few updates, I have continued to do little things here and there to indy. The most recent and most drastic is I picked up a set of wheels and hub caps from doc last weekend. (thanks again doc). I painted the wheels IH red and the International on the hub caps as well. Had them mounted and balanced. I love the way they turned out. It is exactly the look I was going for with this truck. Also I painted the tailgate insert IH red to match the rest of the trim; I think it turned out pretty nice. Above is a before picture of the insert.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Michael Mayben

Sooper! Can't wait ta see it agin in the flesh next month!

A few months back...someone gave me a perfect deluxe trim tailgate panel! But I cannot remember who???? It's way too nice to put on my rotten tailgate though until I repair all the rust damage for the umpteenth time, for now it stays in red primer. The majority of the tailgate is now brazing rod filler and bondo. Get's "updated" about once a year when new cracks/rot appears.

The wheels are the perfect look! Whitewalls would not be appropriate in imho, besides...you would need to keep at least one kid around just to make sure the whitewalls were bleached oncea week!

Fits right in over at the "corporate" parking lot!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
the wheels are the perfect look! Whitewalls would not be appropriate in imho, besides...you would need to keep at least one kid around just to make sure the whitewalls were bleached oncea week!

Fits right in over at the "corporate" parking lot!
I agree no whitewalls, and yeah I love driving it to work. Some of the folks here love it some just hate that I drive a smoke belching gas guzzler. Either way it standsout amid all the soccer Mom and Dad cars here.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Paul 3

Member Number: 66

That red on the trim, wheels, and tailgate was just the ticket. A pack of smokes rolled up in your sleeve, a greased back do and your all over it. Nice ride.

paul
Paul 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Michael Mayben

So paul...ya did meet Chad in the flesh after all???? Can ya believe "corporate" lets him show up dressed as ya describe?? And he don't even smoke!!!

He's kinda like somma yore buddies when they go off base on leave???

Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Joe V

Member Number: 52

Chad, your pickup looks saweeeet. All it needs now is a mexican blanket to cover the bench seat and a pbr beer tap handle on the column.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote