IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Craig

Member Number: 5
Default Scout II build up saga

Since I Started The Build Up 1 1/2 Ago, I Will Start From The Beginning And Try And Go Through The Process Up To-date. A Lot Has Been Learned About Scout Since This Is My First Scout. Like All Projects You Have A Budget, I Started With $3,800 With The Sale Of My Chevy Truck.
I Looked For A Scout That Was In Good Shape And Did Not Cost 10k Dollars, I Missed My Chance On A Terra Scout For $3,500 That Was In Tip Top Shape. Then On Craig's List I Found My Scout, Well It Was A Two For The Price Of One. ( Would Have Been A Good Deal Had The Non Op Fees Been Paid ) So With Registration I Had Two Old scouts For $1,600. I Pulled Them Out From There Resting Place "Back Yard" And Trailered Them Home. I Worked On Each One, Trying To Figure Out Which One Had The Better Motor And Drive Train. So New/used Tires For One, As I Could Not Belive They Would Hold Air.

I Worked On The "Better" Looking One Repairing A Rusted Out Body Mount, But Found The Motor Had A Knock. I Usupected A Lifer As I Was Told This Could Be The Problem. I Changed The Oil And The Noise Went Away, But After Driving It For A While The Knock Came Back. So I Decide To Have The Other Scout's Engine Gone Over To Make Sure It Was Not On It's Last Breath. Jeff At IH Parts America Did A Tune Up And Check The Compression And Got The Engine Running Good. It Had Some Pep To It Now. So The Descion Was Made To Do An Engine Swap.

Last edited by Craig; 03-03-2007 at 08:44 PM..
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Craig

Default Re: Scout II build up saga

So much for a chronological build up. I pick up some cucv axles and put them under the Scout as they came with 4.56 and a detroit installed. I went reverse shackle, I put on some h1 rims and tires. I have 44044 in the front and Chevy pickup leafs in the rear.

I blew my motor up ( low oil pressure ) I was doing 70 on the freeway and the rod bearings did not like that. I had a spare motor but it has a cracked head (oil in the water) so then I bought a "runner" that later found out needed to be rebuilt. ( flat lobe on the cam) I had Jeff rebuild the engine as I wanted somebody that was going to make sure it was done right.

Last edited by Craig; 07-29-2009 at 06:50 AM..
Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Scouty

Member Number: 8

Hey Craig,

how is the Scout coming along? Is it going to be done by hollister? If so, are you going to drive or trailer it? Looks like I probably will be driving mine there since I can't find a trailer wide enough for my junk.

73 Scout II
74 Scout II
Scouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3

You need to get one, then just make the fenders able to be driven over.
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Craig

As for the trailer, he could drive over the fenders, buts it still about 8,000 lbs to pull around. I made it to hollister and was able to drive home too.

Last edited by Craig; 07-29-2009 at 07:05 AM..