IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094
Default 62 Crew Cab 4x4 restoration project

Hi,

I decided to document the restoration and build of my truck to help other people with similar restorations and to avail myself to the help, and insight others May be able to offer me. So please comment, and post lots of your own pictures here too. I don't mind a little thread hijacking as I learn from those comments too. This is the first IH I have ever owned, and other than one Scout in san pedro I recently saw when I went down to buy some parts, this is the only IH truck I, or anyone I know, has ever seen as of this date.

This is going to be a very different build from what many others are doing. First, I have a very limited budget. Yes, it will have a theme, and yes, it will be extreme, but it will not employ multi-link suspensions, or any thing like that. This truck's theme is one of extreme dependability, employing stock IH parts whenever possible. I'll include part numbers and what ever other info someone else might need to replicate any part of what I am doing.

Once I complete this truck, I intend to use it as a long distance traveling on and off road camper. I have restored two other trucks in the past. First was a 49 Chevy 1 ton panel truck. Once completed, I drove that truck all over, including twice from los angeles to ohio, through michigan and into canada. The only time it ever broke, was once the exhaust pipe broke at the manifold. Now that is dependability. I'd probably still have it today except when I was moving, I had it towed and the tow truck lost it on the freeway. It slid on its side until the roof crashed into another car. (fine print says they are not responsible for damages incurred while towing).

my second restoration vehicle was a 57 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 panel truck. I only had it finished for a couple years before I sold it to purchase a house. Never took it farther than the deserts of Nevada. Someone flew to l.a. And drove it home to boston. He said the only problem he had on the return trip was a flat tire. Unfortunately 6 months later the northridge earthquake struck and I lost my home, so no house and no truck.

Now this last time it's a 62 crew cab c120 4x4. This truck has come straight from alaska where it has spent its life as a snow plow truck. I gave away the snow plow but kept the grill guard as a tribute to its former life. It's very unique looking - I have never seen a similar grill guard, or with such unique looking lights. But I admit, I also have not seen many snow plow trucks here in los angeles.

At this point I am still mostly researching and acquiring parts so not much actual work has been done. But every system is going to have the extreme dependability theme. For example, the fuel system: I will have a 2 micron spin-on filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, wix part number 33528 with base wix part number 24770 mounted on the firewall. Then the fuel pump itself has a little glass bowl with a 19 micron filter, wix part number 33943. Then the carb has a small glass fuel/water separator with a 10 micron filter. This system will include an electric fuel pump that will only kick on if the mechanical fuel pump fails. And I will have a 10 psi mechanical gauge mounted under the dash connected at the carb inlet so I will know when I need to change the filters. So as you can see, theme: dependable but theme: extreme. Once installed, I'll post pictures,

I have similar filtering plans for the air, oil, and coolant systems too. And double fan belts to run the water pump, alternator and other accessories. And possibly double alternators. And as for the drive train - extreme will describe that too. But not because I'm running high horse power, because I'm not. In fact I'm running the stock 304 with the loadstar 9 quart oil pan (kind of extreme), but, you'll see.

To start, if anyone knows where I can acquire a reasonably priced t35 5 speed transmission with bell housing, please pass it along to me. I appreciate any help you can offer with this project.

And if I can help you in your build in any way, please ask! That includes hands-on (if you're in the west l.a area) if you need help in pulling a motor or something like that some time.

Once I get the engine dependable, my next project will be working on the dash board. Right now it, and the entire interior is so ugly, its embarrassing. (I'll post pics in a couple days). But I also consider it the control room or cockpit of the truck and it should convey the feeling the original designers intended. Therefore I will do an extreme job of restoring it to exactly the way it was originally designed to look and operate. (but with a few more gauges, switches and indicator lights added under the dash). But here again I will need your help. I've never seen a 62 dash, except in the second half of this video link below, so I have no idea what some of the holes and disconnected buttons are for in my dash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13y1fd3d3gc

I believe I've acquired all the parts needed for the dash and steering column, except the original am radio or the plate that covers the radio location. Anyone have a stock am radio for a 62 IH pick-up they're willing to sell?

Well, that's it for tonight. Below are a few initial pictures of what I've been talking about. Good day!

The first picture is my truck, fresh from alaska, as its being unloaded from the trailer.

The second picture is the back of the truck as it arrives. You can see a little bit of the top of the front grill guard with the two big flood lights sticking up from it.

Third pic is just the wix 2 micron fuel filter I will be using.
Next is that filter's base that attaches to the firewall.
Finally the carb's fuel/water separator filter.

Lots more pictures of the truck will be posted next week as I have to work this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arriving_from_Alaska.jpg (66.7 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg back_of_truck.jpg (64.8 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg Wix_fuel_filter.jpg (16.4 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg fuel_filter_base.jpg (17.2 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg fuel_water_separator_filter.jpg (20.2 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 02-23-2013 at 02:55 AM..
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Smith

Member Number: 5314
Default Re: 62 Crew Cab 4x4 restoration project

Nice looking truck. In pretty good shape for having been a snow plow!
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
overdrivesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith View Post
nice looking truck. In pretty good shape for having been a snow plow!
Thank you. Actually the previous owner did more damage to the truck than the snow plow work ever did. Things such as wrapping the fuel line around the suspension shackle, or cutting holes in the fender to route the heater hose through the side of the cab instead of the firewall, to name just two of many. And the most damaging of all is he took some kind of power sander to the body, sanding down to bare metal, then only putting a couple rattle-cans of primer on it. With all the rain we've had almost every weekend since I got the truck, its changing into black rust before my very eyes. My first priority, after it is somewhat driveable, will be to replace the missing windows then put some kind of paint on it to stop the spread of cancer rust.

Here's a couple more pictures of the truck when I first saw it, and before I took possession of it (and before the winter rains).

The next pictures are the beginning of the actual build. I'll post lots of before and after pictures to document everything I do.
There's so much to be done, I just jump from job to job. I pulled the heater box to see what was wrong with that, and now I'm starting to work on the dash.

I am very particular about how I want the dash to look as I see it up close every time I get in the truck, and right now its appearance is driving me crazy. Anyone have any idea what the holes or push button is for on the left side of the dash? The button under the dash is the horn. And the two holes just to the right of the steering column was for the snow plow controls.

Also I'm looking for either an original am radio or the plate that covers the hole there. Please keep a lookout in junk yards or anywhere someone May be selling either. I do appreciate your help. I believe I now have all the other dash and steering column parts I need.

Thank you.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IHtruck1.JPG (52.9 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg IHtruck2.JPG (54.2 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg IHtruck3.JPG (48.6 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_left_side.jpg (39.7 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_left_side2.jpg (48.2 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_center_left.jpg (34.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_center.jpg (41.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_center2.jpg (59.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_right_side.jpg (55.8 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 02-27-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Ellie75

Member Number: 5218

Wow. What an awesome project. I'm impressed. Keep us posted!
Ellie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
IHRunner

Member Number: 4157

Thanks for doing this truck a favor and bringing it back to life man. Know where a t35 is but not sure you want to ship it from southeast Colorado

1976 terra-304-The Duke. 420k miles
1977 traveler-304-furst fake hurst-unknown miles
1978 scout II-The Pumpkin-196-4spd-no power steering-67k original miles
1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
1985 irocz camaro(sold thank god)
2 farmall m's
IHRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
overdrivesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrunner View Post
thanks for doing this truck a favor and bringing it back to life man. Know where a t35 is but not sure you want to ship it from southeast Colorado
Hi,
well, it actually all depends on condition and price. I might be very interested despite the shipping charges from Colorado.

I know where there is one at a trans rebuilders at this moment, about 3 hours drive from me, and they are asking $750 for a rebuilt with a 2 year warranty. I could pick it up with no shipping charges, but, unfortunately rebuilders supply the transmissions without any shifter, parking brake or drive shaft flange. I can get the u-joint drive shaft flange, but don't have any idea where to get just the shifter and parking brake assembly.

Let me know about the one in Colorado.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
overdrivesteve

My weekly update -
only able to work on it one day this week.
I have a lot of parts on their way so to make room in the bed, I went to install the rear bumper that was taking up unnecessary space there. Now I realize why the previous owner never put the rear bumper back on the truck after he took it off. After taking it off, in his wisdom he decided to weld the brackets to the bumper when it was off the truck. Now they don't line up with the holes in the frame - not even close! Aaaagh! Everything wrong with this truck has been because the po did something stupid, and not because of age, wear and tear, weak or faulty design, or any other normal issue. Anyone else ever have po stupid issues? Now to decide if I waste another build day next week to grind the welds or just look for another bumper and brackets.

Also just saw where someone broke a big piece out of a rear brake drum. Another task to contend with. I seem to be jumping from one problem to the next with little to show for it at this time. Ever have that feeling with your projects?

No pictures at this time as it was threatening to pour rain all day today, so just wanted to get a few things done before it did.

Steve
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
IHRunner

Member Number: 4157

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrivesteve View Post
my weekly update -
only able to work on it one day this week.
I have a lot of parts on their way so to make room in the bed, I went to install the rear bumper that was taking up unnecessary space there. Now I realize why the previous owner never put the rear bumper back on the truck after he took it off. After taking it off, in his wisdom he decided to weld the brackets to the bumper when it was off the truck. Now they don't line up with the holes in the frame - not even close! Aaaagh! Everything wrong with this truck has been because the po did something stupid, and not because of age, wear and tear, weak or faulty design, or any other normal issue. Anyone else ever have po stupid issues? Now to decide if I waste another build day next week to grind the welds or just look for another bumper and brackets.

Also just saw where someone broke a big piece out of a rear brake drum. Another task to contend with. I seem to be jumping from one problem to the next with little to show for it at this time. Ever have that feeling with your projects?

No pictures at this time as it was threatening to pour rain all day today, so just wanted to get a few things done before it did.

Steve
Ellie75 can share your pain. I talked her into a lemon that cost her a collection of new and used parts and probably more busted knuckles than I have. I myself bought a Scout where rust was stopped with silicone and where rtv was used judiciously on the engine.

Aint it miserable. You gonna be able to fix it with relative ease?

1976 terra-304-The Duke. 420k miles
1977 traveler-304-furst fake hurst-unknown miles
1978 scout II-The Pumpkin-196-4spd-no power steering-67k original miles
1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
1985 irocz camaro(sold thank god)
2 farmall m's
IHRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Ellie75

Oh boy! Nothing like previous owner ideas. Lol my baby's previous owner actually used a roller to apply the gun metal paint over his "iffy" bondo job. He didn't even remove the door handles, he just brushed around them. And that was one of the less impractical things he did. Hang in there . I'm getting the pieces pulled together. She's running nice and I'm only slightly smarter than the previous owner. the harder it is, the more you'll love that IH.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
overdrivesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie75 View Post
oh boy! Nothing like previous owner ideas. Lol my baby's previous owner actually used a roller to apply the gun metal paint over his "iffy" bondo job. He didn't even remove the door handles, he just brushed around them. And that was one of the less impractical things he did. Hang in there . I'm getting the pieces pulled together. She's running nice and I'm only slightly smarter than the previous owner. the harder it is, the more you'll love that IH.
Thanks. It is turning into a bigger, and more expensive project than anticipated. But eventually I'll get it done. Just doubt it'll be ready for use this summer.

at least you have paint. My po scratch sanded the entire body to bare metal, then just put a thin coat of primer over part of it. With all the rain this winter, it's turning into black rust faster than I can fix it.

My first big step is as soon as I get the missing window frame in, I'll be putting in all new windows (that's a lot of windows in a crew cab) my front two windows are completely missing and the rear two are cracked badly. That will at least keep the interior dry and from rusting more.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Ellie75

Haha okay...u win. Your po gets the award lol. I did have to replace the driver side window but the rest was atleast water tight. Keep plugging along.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
overdrivesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie75 View Post
haha okay...u win. Your po gets the award lol. I did have to replace the driver side window but the rest was atleast water tight. Keep plugging along.
Hi ellie,
thanks. Unfortunately I think my po wins all the awards. I have a couple big non-technical issues my po left me with I haven't mentioned yet that eventually I will need everyone's advise on. But first I have to just get it drive-able.

I'd like to restore the interior to mostly stock. I'm starting to work on filling the holes in the dash. My first little question is, how hard is it to get a replacement cigarette lighter for this truck? Should I just fill the hole or hope to find a nos or good used cigarette lighter assembly?

And how is your Scout doing?

Steve

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 03-10-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

The receptacle portion of any cigar lighter is nothing special. They're pretty universal in nature. What tends to be more vehicle specific is the removable lighter element. So you could easily install a universal cigar lighter just to have the function and the hole in the dash filled, while keeping your eye peeled for a period correct lighter element to plug in at a later date.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #14
overdrivesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
the receptacle portion of any cigar lighter is nothing special. They're pretty universal in nature. What tends to be more vehicle specific is the removable lighter element. So you could easily install a universal cigar lighter just to have the function and the hole in the dash filled, while keeping your eye peeled for a period correct lighter element to plug in at a later date.
Hi,
thank you for the insight. As for the cigarette lighter assembly, I found a new one at the local auto parts store. I just unscrewed the knob it had on it's element and screwed on a knob from a 62 IH ash tray. I now have a new cigarette lighter assembly that looks exactly stock. I'm sure I can find another ash tray for my '62 IH as they don't wear out or get lost.

The remainder of this post has very little to do with this build, so skip it if you wish. It's just about something that really gets to me.

Hopefully the moderators don't delete what I'm about to say. I'm just stating an observation, and a very disturbing observation at that. I'll preference the following with it's nobody's opinion, or observation, but my own.

The main purpose of this truck build is to have a unique, long distance traveling, easy-to-maintain, on and off-road camper that is extremely dependable. I like the outdoors, camping, etc. Mountains, deserts, canyons, grasslands, snow or sand, it's all great to me. And sometimes the adventures of traveling there with the people I meet is as great as the final destination. I like being out in nature, the wilderness with clean, clear blue skies. And that brings me to the remainder of this post.

I live in the san fernando valley. There is no heavy industry here. And there is no air traffic over this valley except for one little airport for tiny personal aircraft in van nuys.

But every 3 to 4 weeks, and immediately after any gusty winds, and a few days after every rain, jet air craft do a massive high-altitude spraying campaign. They fan out, flying back and forth, criss-crossing and doing "s"'s while spraying who knows what. And it's very clear where they turn their sprayers on and off. It turns the sky from blue to milky-white. And the spray does not dissipate for days.

Presently I drive a para-transit bus. I use a gps 8 to 10 hours a day. My gps is sensitive enough it gets a full 5 bars of signal strength even under freeway over-passes. Except on days they spray. It's then 3 to 4 bars signal strength in the wide open, and sometimes no bars (no satellite connection at all) on the days they spray. The spray stays for days to weeks at a time in the air.

It rained a few days ago, we had about two days of clear blue sky, then today, Friday, all day today March 15, 2013 they were spraying again. What they spray is always milky-white. Except for once about two years ago it was yellow. Even the sun light on the ground that day had a strong yellow tint to it.

If you only occasionally look to the sky, it can easily be mistaken for natural rain clouds or vapor clouds. And after it spreads across the sky, it can easily be mistaken for smog or haze or fog. Unless you're outside all day (like me) and witness the spraying and transformation of the sky from clear blue to milky white.

Nobody says anything. So I'm saying something now. I'm saying I notice it. It makes my job much harder as the gps no longer works as well, and sometimes does not work at all on the days they spray and couple days thereafter. Sometimes, when windy and the spray bunches up into what appear to be clouds that collect towards the glendale/pasadena mountains, it effects my breathing. I really wish some pilot or technician would man-up and admit their involvement, or give some reason why they spray. It would make living with it so much easier if I knew it had a positive purpose.

In asking pilots at the oxnard point hueneme air shows, all that they would say is even under the most adverse conditions, the dirtiest, most smog-producing military jet air craft would have its jet trail completely dissipate in 20 to 30 minutes. They have no idea or comment what this spraying is all about. In the end, all I know is it's put there deliberately, and has been going on here for years, and it's destroying the air quality above my home.

Many people have grown up here thinking a white sky is normal. Some, in a total state of denial because they don't want to believe this is happening, even say it's just plain jet exhaust. But jets don't turn their engines on and off. They don't fly in fan-shaped configurations across the sky, then criss-crossing in a checker-board fashion, sometimes even doing "s"'s. And they fly in a set standard air space and set pattern, which does not include criss-crossing over the san fernando valley.

Any comments, anyone? Has anyone noticed this in their community? Please post here.

Ok, my rant is done. My remaining posts will concentrate on the build of my truck.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
Moderators, please don't delete this. I think this environmental awareness is very important. So important, I've used part of my truck build thread to help people see what is happening to the world around them, despite the fact I've probably turned some people off from reading anything more I post,. This post is just only an observation. It is not political as it has been happening through multiple administrations for years now. It just seems to be getting more common and more intense the past couple years.

No offence is intended toward anyone in this forum (except to the perpetrators).
Thank you again for allowing me to air this grievance. (pun intended).

sky1:
in the first picture, sky1, you can see where they have turned the sprayer on and off. Judging by how blue the sky was, this was most likely following a rain. Disregard the dates as I don't know how to set the date in my camera.
Sky2:
here you can see the beginning of their criss-cross pattern of spraying.
Sky3:
here you see nearing the conclusion of a day of spraying. The sky is mostly white, and now they are just reinforcing their saturation.
Sky4:
here they are working their way across the sky. You can see in the distance where the sky is already completely white.
Sky5:
and here is some more spraying, starting to work their way across the sky on a windy day. They continue until the entire sky, from horizon to horizon, is white. Tell me that's normal jet exhaust. Then the jets will not be seen again for another 2 to 3 weeks, unless it rains or we have another gusty, windy day.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sky1.jpg (70.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg sky2.jpg (55.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg sky3.jpg (37.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg sky4.jpg (29.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg sky5.jpg (33.7 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 03-16-2013 at 04:47 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
DocBon

Member Number: 5488

Hey overdrivesteve! I'm really looking forward to seeing how your build goes. I'm really considering trying to build an IH truck one of these days. Good luck with it and thanks for restoring her.

About your rant, I too hope the admins don't remove it. I agree it's a serious issue and it's hard for a lot of folks to accept what's really going on. I would post the links but I'm on my phone. At any rate, if you haven't already, look up a couple of videos on youtube on the subject. They're both a little over an hour long but they throw a light down the rabbit hole. First is "what in the world are they spraying?" and the second is "why in the world are they spraying?". They've all but come out and admit what's going on.
DocBon is offline   Reply With Quote