IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: 62 Crew Cab 4x4 restoration project

I don't think you have anything to worry about so far as your off topic comments are concerned. This is your ride thread inside the sewing circle section that you chose to hijack. Now if this were part of a technical thread inside any of the technical headings, that might be a different story.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #17
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094

Saturday, March 16th, the haze is so thick that when standing in the middle of the valley, you cannot see the mountains in any direction you look. The jets have finished their work and are gone now. How sad is it to know I will never again be able to see the stars at night from home until it rains again next winter. Then I'll have about 2 nights of star gazing before the air is again re-sprayed.
This post concludes my comments on this topic. Anything more I add on this topic will be edited/added to this post.
Add / edit:
today, Sunday March 17th, 2013 they were spraying again, but not en force.
It's been breezy the past couple days, so today, 3-19-13, they were spraying again.
There have been several intense days of spraying since my last edit. But yesterday, Friday, 6-21-13 it was breezy and they have been on and off spraying all day, and at midnight they were still spraying. My brother, in alturas, northern corner of calif, says they spray there too on windy days.
now back to the build....

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 06-22-2013 at 01:21 PM..
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #18
overdrivesteve

I've decided which gauges I will be adding under the dash. They include water temp, oil pressure, fuel flow, fuel pressure, volts, fuel quantity, and dwell.
They are from this company: http://www.umainstruments.com/

Water and oil are self-explanatory, except the oil pressure gauge I will be using is 0 to 50 psi and not 0 to 150 psi as shown. The company assured me occasional spikes to 60 psi would not hurt the 0 to 50 psi gauge as it’s tested beyond that at the time of manufacture. Also I'm just going with the simple black and white gauges, and not colored like some are shown below.

Fuel-flow - I chose to include this gauge because twice my carb started spewing fuel out all over the engine. I assume that is because dirt is getting into it. If I was on the freeway, I May not have ever noticed until it was too late. The gauge comes with an alert if the engine suddenly starts using more fuel than normal. And this is the only company I could find that offers such a gauge. The gauge I will be using is the 0 to 8 gallons per hour gauge, not the 0 to 60 gph gauge shown.

Fuel pressure is to know when the fuel filters need replacing. A 0 to 10 psi gauge will be used.

Volts is a good indicator that the charging system is working ok. A steady 13.8 volts is ideal regardless of electrical load – unless the load far exceeds the ability of the alternator used. It also comes with an alert if the voltage goes out of a specified range.

Fuel quantity is because I'll be adding a second fuel tank. Much more on that topic when I get to it.

And finally dwell. This company does not make a dwell meter. In-dash dwell meters were made in the past but don't know who, if anyone, still makes them. I saw one once on ebay; made the mistake of not bidding on it. It went cheap.

I'm keeping the ignition stock. Although electronic ignitions are known to be very reliable, I've had the worse possible experience with them, both in my honda and GM car. Twice the one in my honda died and without warning leaving me suddenly stranded in the middle of the road. And the GM had the habit of going out with no warning, randomly going totally dead with no spark every 30 minutes to two days between incidents. Problem was after about 20 minutes the car would start and drive perfectly like nothing ever happened. I spent about 2k with two mechanics replacing every computer module and sensor in the car. Never did find the problem. Had to sell the car at a major loss as no one wanted to pay much after learning of its problem. Don't know how many times I was left stranded sitting for 20 minutes in the middle of an intersection when turning left, or in the fast lane of the freeway on my way to work.

I could never feel at ease driving in the wilderness in a vehicle with an electronic ignition. And dwell is something that goes out gradually as the points wear, causing an almost imperceptible loss of power and increase in fuel used. Therefore I want to keep a watch out on the ignition dwell. Now if only I could find an in-dash dwell meter for sale somewhere….

Are there any other gauges you can recommend while I am still in this planning and designing stage? The only other one I could think of is a fuel mixture gauge to indicate how Rich the fuel is. But I don't know anyone who makes such a thing or how it would test that, other than perhaps with a sensor in the intake manifold.

I worked this weekend, so not much was done on the truck again.

And despite the temporary thread hijack, thanks for staying with me in this build and offering your comments, suggestions, insights and inspirations.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water_temp_meter.JPG (49.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Oil_press_meter.JPG (39.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel_flow_meter.JPG (36.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel_press_meter.JPG (35.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Volt_meter.JPG (47.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel_quantity_meter.JPG (36.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
DocBon

Member Number: 5488

Those are some great looking gauges! Thanks for the link. Definitely keep us updated as you install them. I'm anxious to see how easy they install. Being aircraft grade I'm pretty sure they'll work flawlessly. I'm curious about the dwell now myself, lol. I May join you in that treasure hunt and will let you know if I find anything.
DocBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

I think the dwell gauge would be superfluous. Dwell angle with breaker points changes so slowly that watching it occur on a daily basis with a gauge inside the cabin would be akin to watching grass grow or paint dry. You could simply elect to measure your dwell at regular intervals, such as lof with a handheld meter and make any minor adjustments necessary at those times. With the range for a v8 engine being 28 to 32 degrees, starting at the lower end of that range will maximize the amount of time between the next adjustment. As the rubbing block wears, the gap closes and the dwell angle increases. But again, this takes many revolutions.
I think a much more useful instrument in place of the dwell would be a vacuum gauge in hg. That would give you another instant feedback point about the health of your engine, help you maximize engine fuel efficiency, and alert you to the presence of manifold vacuum leaks.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
DocBon

Awww but, come on scoutboy, gauges are neat and add character! After reading about the possibility of a dwell gauge I started dreaming up a way to customize the dash to hard mount my dwell/tach meter, lol. I actually was thinking of something along the lines of a mini hummer center console.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #22
overdrivesteve

Hi,

I agree, a vacuum gauge would be more beneficial. Thanks.

Today I just adjusted the doors and spray oiled all the door latch and window regulator mechanisms. Now, for the first time in who knows how many years, all 4 doors close easily and latch completely. Previously you had to keep your arm on the drivers door as it would fly open when driving down the road. And other doors had to be slammed hard just to engage the first click. Adjusting the doors was not hard to do, so I don't know why the po lived with doors that would not close properly.

Doors that work properly and a dashboard that looks good and works are two of my "things" I'm picky about. Tomorrow I'm taking the truck in for new window glass. Ideally I'd like to do this after it's painted, but I want to be able to close and lock the truck (and keep out any rain) asap. Today I saw evidence where someone has been in my truck even though it's parked in my driveway behind a closed gate.

No pictures because there is still nothing new to see. But I'll include pictures after the new door window glass is installed. It will be nice to see it without bullet holes in the windows and missing front door glass.

And it will help keep me motivated when the truck doesn't look so bad that everyone laughs at it.

Steve

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 03-20-2013 at 02:38 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
MarkO

Member Number: 740

Don't worry about anyone here laughing at your old 'binder.

Most of us have owned at least one project that during the project was not anything close to show quality.

Since the majority of old 'binders are runners and not garage queens it isn't unusual to see something that was show quality one year exhibiting bangs and bruises the next.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #24
overdrivesteve

Thanks, marko.

Just an update on my project. I took the truck in for new glass. Although economy auto glass in van nuys specializes in vintage vehicle glass, he has never done an IH before. So I needed to order new window felts and wind wing rubber before he could replace the glass. I did so at the store here.

According to IH Parts America, they only sell perhaps 1 pick-up truck window felt kit a year, so it's hardly a big seller for them. As for the new wind wing window rubber, I was told they don't have it listed because they have never sold one before, but think they can get it.

Well today the new, soft, flexible wing window rubber arrived. What a difference from the cracked, brittle and broken rubber that is there now. Still waiting for the felt kits. I really look forward to seeing the truck for the first time with windows that are not broken and shattered with bullet holes.

I also got a new (to me) transmission for the truck. It's a 5 speed, not exactly the ratios I wanted, but I can change that later if time and especially money allows. It's a t34 with a .82 overdrive 5th. I would have preferred the t35 with 1 to 1 for 5th gear, but if I can't find someone to trade, I'll live with overdrive for awhile.

As I was working on the truck the other day, 3 police officers on bikes approached me. Turns out they just wanted to see the truck because they thought it was cool. Wish my landlord was there - she hates the truck and came very, very close to evicting me the day I parked it in my parking space instead of my car. Compared to her new lexus and her son's new bmw, she calls it one big pos. Fortunately it came with a cover I use to hide it from her view. New vehicles have covers too so now she seems ok with that, as long as I keep it covered to "hide its ugliness".

Still don't feel like I have much I can show you, at least not compared to the incredible work others have done on their project builds and restorations. I’m lucky if I can work on it one day a week. But if there is anything you would like to see pictures of, let me know.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5_speed.jpg (52.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg truck_exposed.JPG (54.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg truck_under_cover.jpg (74.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
DocBon

Sounds like you need to evict your landlord! some people just have no appreciation for quality vehicles!!! Keep up the good work buddy!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Scooter

Member Number: 917

The landlord has no class what so ever. It's a work of art. Next time I'm down in la visiting family I might just try and look ya up and talk IH.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
overdrivesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbon View Post
sounds like you need to evict your landlord! some people just have no appreciation for quality vehicles!!! Keep up the good work buddy!
Thanks, your support is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
the landlord has no class what so ever. It's a work of art. Next time I'm down in la visiting family I might just try and look ya up and talk IH.
That would be great! I would really look forward to it. Hope to see you here in van nuys sometime. I'd have so many questions, from simple such as "does this engine sound normal for an IH" to "what kind of transfer case do I have" to the serious "what's the best answer to a serious suspension problem created by the po this truck has". It would be so helpful to me if I could bounce ideas off someone who has seen the actual truck and doesn't keep calling it an old Ford.

When it comes down to it, nearly all the work I'm doing is fixing things the previous owners have done to the truck. It's amazing all the abuse every system in this truck has had by po's and the truck still ran. Broken brake drum, speedo cable held together by silicone, fuel line wrapped around the suspension spring shackle, crossed electrical wiring - turn the right turn signal on and the left rear blinker flashes and both indicators on the dash flash, gas gauge that sometimes works, but usually doesn't, broken window glass, tie rod hits the oil pan, capped engine pcv outlets, wrong air cleaner assembly, leaky fuel tank top, etc etc I could go on and on and on but it only makes me feel overwhelmed. And what he did to the body, scratch sanding it down to bare metal (putting gouges in the metal) then only putting a little primer on a little bit of the body so the remainder is turning into pitted black rust before my eyes.

Anyway I do appreciate any help/advice I can get from anyone. Parts are on their way so hopefully soon I'll have something to show.

Thanks.
Steve
Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #28
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Grew up down there. I lived in manhattan beach the last twelve years of living in socal, until jan. 1990 when I moved to nor cal. And inglewood before that.

Been awhile since I have gone down that way. I'm hoping to make it down there this summer some time. But that all depends on when I can get one of my scouts drivable. I have been busy helping other Scout owners with their rigs. And morally I can't start working on my own, until I can finish up a friends 69 Scout 800. Was hoping that he be able to drive it off yesterday. But ran into a snag with charging issues. Sigh.

I can relate to the po virus. I have had to deal with a lot of it on my 73 beast. And I'm the fourth owner, so I can't blame the fella I got it from, considering that I believe that he would have done some of the shady work that I've fixed and/or replaced and/or upgraded.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
overdrivesteve

Well, just thought I'd bring you up to date with my driveway restoration.

Awhile ago I ordered a steering column assembly along with a few other parts for my truck. I was interested in the horn, turn signal mechanism and steering wheel for my truck. I saw pictures of it before I purchased it, and I saw pictures of it banded to a shipping pallet with metal bands and completely wrapped in cellophane waiting for the shipping company to pick it up and deliver here.

It finally arrived a couple days ago - loose, not even any cellophane on it. And the way the steering wheel was broken, it appears as if someone in the shipping company had used a crowbar to quickly pry the horn button assembly from the steering wheel. In addition the boxes of parts were opened and falling apart as there was no longer any metal bands around any of them either. A couple minor things were also missing from the box of parts. The seller refunded me for the steering column, although it was not really his fault.

I also contacted the shipping company for some explanation as to why or at least an apology for removing the metal bands and opening my shipment. No reply, nothing. So all I can say is never use oak harbor freight lines.

Also a few days ago the new felts arrived with the new wind wing window rubber. Yea! I took the truck to the glass shop today to have some windows made and installed in the truck. Unfortunately, some of the wing window rubber is wrong. And the window felts for the rear door windows are also wrong. The glass shop is trying to glue the felts on in the back doors. Definitely not the correct way to attach them, but it's all they can do with what was given them.

But on a positive note, I believe I found a heater control valve that will work properly in my heater box. I'll let you know when that arrives.

I look forward to the day when I can post some positive pictures of this restoration.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering_wheel_assy.JPG (138.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg parts_ready_to_ship.JPG (193.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg steering_wheel_as_delivered.jpg (77.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg bad_wind_wing_rubber.jpg (54.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
MarkO

Member Number: 740

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with ohfl.

They are one of the best freight companies in the nw.

I am sure either of the vander pols would want to know of your experience as it isn't the sort of service they are known to provide.

oak harbor freight lines, inc.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote