IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Bob Prohaska

Member Number: 6339
Default Cleaning out a differential housing

The front Dana 44 differential cover on my Scout 2 finally leaked enough to motivate a gasket replacement. While it was open, I found a surprising amount of debris/mud in the bottom of the housing. It ranges from fairly coarse grit to fine brown mud. Total volume of muck is less than a teaspoon.

Obviously it's worth cleaning out, but I'm unsure just how fussy it pays to be.

The bottom of the housing appears to be set up as a sediment catcher, and seems to have worked reasonably well. If junk at the bottom of a differential is normal, I'll just mop out the worst of it and put it back together. If it's not normal, then considerable extra effort is justified.

The history is largely unknown; both axles were installed used about fifteen years ago after the original d30 broke and I wanted taller gearing for street use, along with disk brakes. It looks as if the front axle was left open to air before I got it, as the inside of the cover is quite rusty on the upper half.

Basically I'd like to know if I'm looking at a major problem or normal wear and age. The differential turns smoothly by hand and runs quietly in 4wd.

Thanks for reading and any guidance,

Bob prohaska
Bob Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, dana 44, differential, pumpkin