IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
BrokeGunner

Member Number: 8934
Question Scout II D-44 FA into an 800B with reverse shackle

I am getting ready to do a bunch of work on my Scout 800B Comanche this summer and one of the upgrades I have been considering is switching to disk brakes on the front. I considered the conversion kit but thought maybe my money would be better spent on swapping in a Dana 44 FA that already has disk brakes.

After months of searching and almost giving up, I finally stumbled upon an axle yesterday and made the purchase and now I need some guidance on what to do.

First off, some basic info on the vehicle: 1971 800B Comanche with a 304 V8 and 4 speed. Has a stock D44 tracklok in the rear and a hybrid 27/30 in the front. Last summer I installed the CPT 2" lift and when I unbolted the front driver side shackle I realized the bushing mount was bent badly so I purchased the CPT reverse shackle kit and installed that at the same time. It drives great and steers great although it is a little loose and I plan to replace the rest of the steering parts this summer.

The axle I purchased is supposed to be out of a 1979 Scout II. I took it to a specialty differential shop in Modesto yesterday and they are tearing it down today and will call today with info on the condition of the gears and carrier. The person I bought it from was going to do an SOA on an old Jeep, so he cut the spring perch off, so I need to weld on a replacement perch.

So that is the situation... I need any tips or advice that anyone might be willing to share. Would it be best to replace my CPT 800 front springs with SII front springs since I already have the reverse shackle installed with the spacer washers in there?
I tried searching for info on the differences of the SII axles and I am not sure if they are exactly the same width or 1" wider maybe, which makes me concerned that I will not know where to weld on the new perch.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!
Attached Images

1) Running - 1967 800 w/196E named the "Orange & Vanilla"
2) Parts - 1969 800A w/196 named "the purple one"
3) Running - 1971 800B Comanche 304/4sp
4) Frame & Tub - 1971 800B donor for Comanche

Last edited by BrokeGunner; 05-30-2019 at 09:53 AM..
BrokeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Scout II D-44 FA into an 800B with reverse shackle

You would have to re-install the reverse shackle kit in order to install Scout II leafsprings. Since you already have the CPT reverse shackle and lift kit installed, I would keep them and modify the spring perchs on the Scout II Dana 44 to match your current suspension set up. Seeing that you already have to weld on a new perch on the driver side of the axle, you can have it welded on to match your 800 suspension. The passenger side perch is cast into the differential. The hole in the perch that locates the centerpin will need to be redrilled so that when the axle is installed it will be centered under the Scout. Hope that all makes sense.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

I know this is an aside from your question, but I didn't see any mention of gear ratio agreement between front and rear. How is that being addressed?
Organ Donor - '72 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - seized 392/TF727/7500# GVW - "Use my body to keep you alive!"
Mongo - '71 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/4.10 RA17/6100# GVW - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
BrokeGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutboy74 View Post
I know this is an aside from your question, but I didn't see any mention of gear ratio agreement between front and rear. How is that being addressed?
Well that was not mentioned because the replacement axle is a 3.73 just like my OEM axle. Unfortunately the shop called today and told me the inside of the housing is basically a solid block of rust, so I am now going to need gears.

I paid $200 for the complete housing so I still think it was a good deal, and I will probably be able to salvage the carrier and maybe the side gears... won't know for sure until I get over there to pick it up to do the welding and powder coat.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
BrokeGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
You would have to re-install the reverse shackle kit in order to install Scout II leafsprings. Since you already have the CPT reverse shackle and lift kit installed, I would keep them and modify the spring perchs on the Scout II Dana 44 to match your current suspension set up. Seeing that you already have to weld on a new perch on the driver side of the axle, you can have it welded on to match your 800 suspension. The passenger side perch is cast into the differential. The hole in the perch that locates the centerpin will need to be redrilled so that when the axle is installed it will be centered under the Scout. Hope that all makes sense.
Hi Jeff, I finally got this project moving again and am making a little progress.

I did not want to pull my current housing to get measurements for the perch welding position so I got a 27 front axle assembly from a friend and I am taking both to the welding shop tomorrow. I am hoping to have this housing prepped for paint next week and then built up with new guts and installed prior to the Fall Rallye. I already bought a pair of CPT perches and the new master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Next question- I am wondering if I am going to be able to use my 800B rally wheels on this axle when I am done??