IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: 34 Hot Rod Pickup

Binder power is the best. But so long as it ain't another belly button (sbc) I like it.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 01-01-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
jetfxr

Member Number: 383

In keeping with the old school hotrod, I scored these hub caps on fleabay. I think they will be just cool on my truck. I will be taking them over to the chrome shop to have them cleaned up and plated.

I have most all the the parts collected, I will be picking up the transmission tomorrow. I had the case glass beaded then clear powder coated. After the case was done I had my transmission guy rebuild it with a firm shift kit, and a 2000 rpm stall converter, should be great for this truck. I have the bed off and am starting the body work to get it painted as soon as I can
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0570.jpg (44.7 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0572.jpg (84.7 KB, 323 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
jetfxr

Well all the metal and mock up work is done. I started tearing the truck down for paint and powder coating. It is a little chilly here in montana, that is when the project see a lot of progress. I am looking forward to blasting around in my truck this spring, I think this truck will smoke my wife's ls1 powered Scout
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
jetfxr

Well time for an update, started the engine build up. This is a 304 over bored to except 392 pistons, lots of head work done, and it will be sporting an rpt aluminum four barrel manifold. I have also installed roller rockers from murphy's machine shop. So here where I got to by the end of my day.

And this is just cool if I do say so myself,
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
jetfxr

Time to update the build, the frame is fully boxed and you can see the cross members added for the more powerful v8. Also in this picture you see the rear cross member for the rear suspension. The frame was a little rough but is now ready for the powder coat.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
jetfxr

Here are pictures of the cross member for the transmission, you also see the battery box.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
jetfxr

Here you see the head light/shock mount. It is a part made for hotrods, I am using a transverse mounted leaf spring like older hotrods, I think it looks a lot better than regular leaf springs. You also see the front cross member for the radiator/spring mount and to stiffen everything up.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
jetfxr

Here's the front of the frame, I did not like having just frame horns, so I used a little tubing to make a bumper/push bar. You can also see the pads to mount the rpt motor mounts:d
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
jetfxr

Before we boxed the frame we ran conduit inside so that when we plumb and wire it. I really want to have a clean look when it's all done. Check out the holes along the inside, drivers side for the fuel lines passenger side for wiring. As you look over the frame you can also see the welded nuts and through spacers for mounting all the accessories.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
jetfxr

Here's a picture of the oil pan, it has a site gage I installed. I have one on my SSII and it works good with no need for a dip stick.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
jetfxr

The truck will be using an electric fuel pump so I got this bling block off plate from Jeff, very nice touch for not a lot of cash. He also has one for the egr port on the rpt manifold. Sweet:d
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

Man this is an awesome build. I can't say all the chrome is my cup of tea, but the whole concept of the truck is sweet. Should look great. I look forward to pics of it every time I check in!
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543

Robert,
I like it even has a v spreader bar but in binder you could call it a cattle bar.
Just one pointer on the buggy springs. They like to move around and work well being trapped in the upper mount. An inverted "u" that captures the leaf sides. If you don't trap then they will shift and bind the shackles. On your setup shoot for a 45 degree shackle angle after being fully loaded with the tin work and engine. That makes them the most stable. Are you going to run a front or rear panhard bar? I see coil overs on the rear and think a panhard bar mount on the pass side rear.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
jetfxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealbreaker74 View Post
man this is an awesome build. I can't say all the chrome is my cup of tea, but the whole concept of the truck is sweet. Should look great. I look forward to pics of it every time I check in!
The chrome is a big expense but that is what a hotrod is all about, this is not a ratrod. If it were a rat there would be no place for the chrome. I am not a fan of the ratrods to me they look like cobbled together junk, but to each there own. I am really trying to make a statement that harvesters can be just as cool as a sbc and with all the machine work done on this one should be just as fast
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
jetfxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
Robert,
I like it even has a v spreader bar but in binder you could call it a cattle bar.
Just one pointer on the buggy springs. They like to move around and work well being trapped in the upper mount. An inverted "u" that captures the leaf sides. If you don't trap then they will shift and bind the shackles. On your setup shoot for a 45 degree shackle angle after being fully loaded with the tin work and engine. That makes them the most stable. Are you going to run a front or rear panhard bar? I see coil overs on the rear and think a panhard bar mount on the pass side rear.
On the mock up the front axle looked good, the spring is captured by a plate and four grade 8 bolts, but I will be looking closely at it when I do the build up. The rear does have a pan hard bar along with the hair pins and coil overs.

The rear is a Ford 8.8, I really wanted to use a 60 from a Travelall but the 8.8 already had a set of 3:73 and disc brakes, and I only paid 150 bones for it.

And being here in montana the spreader bar would defiantly not work as a cattle bar, it would contact a cow at the ankles