IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Bondvagabond

Member Number: 3373
Default 76 terra resurrection

Been lurking for a while, and decided to post up my project.
Got it cheap cause it was a non runner, but it had been undercoated so the cab mounts are better than any I had seen so mechanical work sounded more fun than body work. Little rust in bed and over rear wheel wells, pretty stoked.

Got it to run on starter fluid so moved on to fuel system, after new battery and clean up of battery cables.

Rebuilt my 2210 carb, with the walkthrough on here, accelorator pump was compleatly varnished stuck, valve and plunger! Disconnected fuel line input and connected to temp gas can runs good, did a little victory lap around my parents farm where it is at.
Brakes have good stopping power and no pulsing but no pedal return, so bleed brakes and now have pedal return with engine off, haven't taken it for a spin yet.

They sold me air tool oil instead of compressor oil and I didn't catch it at the store, so need to get the right stuff then can hopefully blow out clogged fuel line from fuel pump to tank, have new fuel filter to splice in before fuel pump.

Fuel tank is shot, it looks great on the outside because the undercoating protected it but it sat empty for ten years with a noni sealed type gas cap so it was just sweating in there the whole time, and the thing springs new leaks faster than I can jb weld them up. It's so thin I don't trust those tank sealers on it.

Found a used 33 gallon tank, picking it up on Monday. Then I should be a rollin.

What am I forgetting from a 10 year sitter? Wheel bearings? What do I look for? New diff fluid of course, tranny fluid, will redo engine oil again for giggles.

It looks like I have an exhaust leak on the driver manifold, at the head and at the collector, is it worth trying the old retorque, or do I deffinateley need a new gasket?

Thanks again for all the good info
Bought from original owner
Now it's alive!
Bondvagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
vlad hric

Member Number: 1586
Default Re: 76 terra resurrection

Photos !! We like photos please.
vlad hric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Bondvagabond

I know, pictures are better, this build is with a first house buying in the background, and no home internet for another week till we close.

So I drove 850 miles round trip to get a beautiful 33 gal on tank and sender for cheap, with gas, I got it for 200 bucks. Inside was like new, sanded and painted the outside, got it installed after blowing out the hard line. Replaced soft line at the tank, need to do soft lines up by fuel pump for good luck, figured id use the fuel line I had in the hard to reach area.

Going to try some penetrating oil and re-torquing the exhaust manifold bolts to see if it will help my drivers exhaust leak.

Gas gauge appears to be working with the new sender, so that is added plus.

Purchased stuff to replace rear diff fluid and diff cover seal,
then I'll warm up with front wheel baring repacking/inspection and move on to the rear
what is acceptable as far as wear?

My truck has a pop, but doesnt try to stall or lose power, seams load related not rpm related, but haven't driven it a ton, need tags and to check diff fluid maybe wheel barings. It has a hole in passenger muffler, and the driver exhaust manifold leak I mentioned. Old plug wires, new copper plugs,o old cap and rotor, carb rebuilt, idle needles at recommended 2 turns out from all the way in. Have not power timed it yet, or timed it.

What's my order of operations for eliminating pop?
Let me know what additional info you need to help with diagnosis. Thanks in advance.
Now it's alive!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Bondvagabond

And now a question for the binder u graduates.

My terra has died on me 3x in about a week of use. First time was failure to start, been sitting for 1 week, crank, crank, crank, nothin. Was getting fuel fine. Didn't have time to mess with it, came back the next day, thought, why not turn it over before I tear into it. Crank-vroom. Fires right up.

Next failure is when I am going to my folks farm, just quits going up the driveway. No sputter, just off like a switch. I am now convinced it is some sort of gold box thing, go to find out how long I have to mess with it before someone needs to get past me on the driveway. Come back 5 min later, fires right up.

Third time, out hittin' garage sales, get in to go home, click, click, click. (expletive deleated) click, crank- vroom. All good.

So I take off my gold box, which looks like maybe it is newer than an original, off to take it to get tested at napa. Bunch of dust comes out of wire connectors. Take it to napa, guy tests it 3 times, comes up aces each time.

Now don't have a clue what is up. Will the through-bulkhead connector make it die randomly like time one and 2? Will bad starter solenoid make it go click even though battery good?

Thanks in advance for the advice, below is a few things I figured out on my own, so you know I'm not a total lost cause......

Okay, the load related pop went away when I fixed the hole in the muffler! Imagine that. That was why I got it cheap, the guy had parked it convinced it needed a valve job because of the pop.

What I thought was an exhaust manifold leak was really a valve cover gasket leak on the drivers side. It would drip oil on hot manifold and make it puff smoke in time with the engine to imitate an exhaust leak. Valve cover bolts should be easier to pull off than exhaust manifold bolts, yea!

Got doors adjusted so they shut nicely, and welded some threaded rod to the stump of my busted off interior tire carrier bolt.

Got about 5 more square feet of surface rust ground off and primed.

Took the top off to keep me motivated!

Thanks again guys.
Now it's alive!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
ybda65

Member Number: 3552

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondvagabond View Post
been lurking for a while, and decided to post up my project.
Got it cheap cause it was a non runner, but it had been undercoated so the cab mounts are better than any I had seen so mechanical work sounded more fun than body work. Little rust in bed and over rear wheel wells, pretty stoked.

Got it to run on starter fluid so moved on to fuel system, after new battery and clean up of battery cables.

Rebuilt my 2210 carb, with the walkthrough on here, accelorator pump was compleatly varnished stuck, valve and plunger! Disconnected fuel line input and connected to temp gas can runs good, did a little victory lap around my parents farm where it is at.
Brakes have good stopping power and no pulsing but no pedal return, so bleed brakes and now have pedal return with engine off, haven't taken it for a spin yet.

They sold me air tool oil instead of compressor oil and I didn't catch it at the store, so need to get the right stuff then can hopefully blow out clogged fuel line from fuel pump to tank, have new fuel filter to splice in before fuel pump.

Fuel tank is shot, it looks great on the outside because the undercoating protected it but it sat empty for ten years with a noni sealed type gas cap so it was just sweating in there the whole time, and the thing springs new leaks faster than I can jb weld them up. It's so thin I don't trust those tank sealers on it.

Found a used 33 gallon tank, picking it up on Monday. Then I should be a rollin.

What am I forgetting from a 10 year sitter? Wheel bearings? What do I look for? New diff fluid of course, tranny fluid, will redo engine oil again for giggles.

It looks like I have an exhaust leak on the driver manifold, at the head and at the collector, is it worth trying the old retorque, or do I deffinateley need a new gasket?

Thanks again for all the good info
Wow would you post some pics? Lucky you, in a couple of yrs, I'll hope to look and get a terra, saw one, hot August nites for 1300. It was worth every dollar, yet I was not interested as a I was building the ' 65 d1100 @ that time, 10 yrs ago, and now I'm restoring the 65 again, beef'n it up. I saw you're post as I should also record my build, w/ text and pic's thanks again david
ybda65 is offline   Reply With Quote