IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Mark Ashford

Member Number: 1099
Default IH Motor Sports Update - 5/30/09 CORE 4x4 Challange

Old news, but I didn't even see this forum till just today, so what the heck, I'll help fill it out.

The core 4x4 challenge was comprised of three challenges. A rock crawl, an obstacle course and a mud pit/drags. They also had a couple other events they were trying to randomly try and squeeze in, a tug-of-war and burn-off. Don’t think those went over too well, but they were less planned.

They further broke those challenges into 2 classes, 35” and under tires, and 36” and over tires. They had separate course for the rocks and the mud, but other than the first 100’ or so the ob was one course.

Saturday (the event day) rolls around and we sit in the sun pretty much all day and managed to get two runs through the obstacle coarse. I was hoping to have time to do 2 runs through the ob, then a run or two through the (small) rock course, then if I still had time I would have run the mud (not my favorite event). As it was, I was one of the last rigs to run the ob (the second time) before they closed it all up after not even getting my first run till well after 1:00 (racing started at around 10:00).

I wanted to make sure I made it through the ob twice before I did the rocks, which would probably have broken some of the sketchy things on the truck right now (like a barber striped front d-shaft that I was convinced wouldn’t last the day and a questionable front axle shaft u-joint).

Only reason I would have done the mud is because the they did have an "over all" trophy for the best in class (best scores, collectively in all three events). But o-well. I didn’t stick around to see who won that, it was already past when I wanted to leave by the time the awards actually happened. But I don’t think many folks actually did all three, and if they did, with the exception of the mud, I doubt they got very good over-all times.

Good thing I waited and ran the ob twice, my second time was a good 30-seconds or so better than my first (probably would have put me in 3rd based on #2 and #3’s time if I remember them right. Hopefully the guys that put the event on will post all the time up soon.

Fun day, even though I wish it was more organized so it wasn’t so much waiting around. Big thanks to hos for running the video for my first run (he had to leave before my second run), to the lady with the bbq shack (actually an old school bus) for loaning me one of her pitchers and filling it twice of hot water to thaw my propane mixer , made a pretty darn good bbq beef sandwich as well. And my wife for putting up with all this, and coming out and keeping me company (and getting a nice lobster tan for the effort :d) and to my folks for taking the kids of the day so she could Come out and hang out.

O-ya, they gave me this for my effort :d:

:stuart:
Mark Ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Mark Ashford

Default Re: IH Motor Sports Update - 5/30/09 CORE 4x4 Challange

My 25-cent fix for a rear shock that pulled off after my first run. No washer on the upper stud so the shock slide right off over the nut. My wife gets credit for the idea, she said nickel, I upgraded it to a quarter :d

This is how you remove rigs off the rocks course :d

Buddy of mine on his second run on the ob. I grabbed the camera just in time to snap some pics while I was in line for my 2nd. He ended up taking first in the 36”+ class (40” krawlers) and a well set up buggy with lots of seat time.

I got some video that hos shot of my first run. And video of the first ˝ of my second run as the position my wife was when she shot it she could only get ˝ the course. Bummer too since the second ˝ of the course was were I really got on it and laid into the go petal. Go figure that I finally figure out how to grab things of the vid camera in a usable format, and create a you-tube account... And they are down for the evening doing upgrades . I’ll add them later.

Link to the still shots I got:
Mark's photo galleries :: core 4 x 4 - 5/30/2009

Not ton, as pretty much limited to shots my wife took once she got there. Most of me :d I'll add more as I find them.

Last edited by Mark Ashford; 06-30-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Mark Ashford

History lesson:

lets first rewind about 5-6 months ago. I come to find out that after a 4 year or so delay, a local club is deciding to have there big 4x4 event again. And its within spitting distance of my house again.

So my cobbled together “race” truck is in sad shape. Slapped it together maybe 5 years ago (man, was it that long ago ) from parts I had laying around the yard. Life got in the way most of the time so I only made maybe one or two races a year . As things turned out, the past 2 years or so its also been me primary wheeling truck, so its really taken a beating, and showing it. Last naches run it ran great for most of the trip, till the carb swallowed something that it juts didn’t like (lost idle circuit) and I ripped off the passenger side exhaust (there video of that :d). Then it sat outside last winter and took a beating. Popped (2) freeze plugs, bodies all bashed up from a roll and bunch of trees, and to boot the carb is leaking fuel as well. Just to move it after brushing off the 18” of snow I had to hit the shifter with a propane torch!

So I decide its time to build the new rig I had been thinking about the past few years, and this upcoming event was a great motivation. So I drag in a spare frame in the garage. And start gathering parts.

Its was shortly looking like this:

And 5 months later, it looks like this:

so 2-weeks to go and I pull the frame out of the garage, fix the exhaust on the old truck with some scraps in my junk pile and some flex tube, and get into the garage to fix the holes in the block. Two carbs later and it still runs like crap. So I jump in with both feet and decide to put on the propane kit I’ve been piecing together for the last year or so (for my trail truck). Surprisingly it works on the first try and runs 10x better than it ever did on the old carb... And a whole weekend in time for the race. Even had some time during the week to give the truck a fog-repaint to cover up some of the worse dents (taking a page from the Tom mandera painting book, painting over dirt and rust :d) other than some cooling system air bubbles I was fought when I first got there (I thought I was going to have to bad it till I finally let it set and was able to burp the air out, allowing the hot water to properly heat the propane vaporizer) the truck ran flawless the whole race. Came back with one dirty truck, a bent tie-rod (second run), some new dents in the rocker(s), and a pretty pushed in b-pillar/door jam.... O-well. Truck comes apart not to completely get rebuilt. Come to think of it, its every possible other than the rear axle and the tires, and now the lpg kit, I don’t know if much of anything from the old truck will be making it on the new one :d told you it really needed a rebuild :stuart:
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Mark Ashford

Edit, aparently this board doesn't do video inbeds like other boards. Anyone? Go to you-tube and type in "core 4x4 challange" and you should find mine and other folks.

List of all times/scores: index.htm

1st run
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxa1tjbonru&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxa1tjbonru&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

2nd (winning) run.
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqcimh00alo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqcimh00alo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>