IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
Pearl

Member Number: 9277
Default Hydraulic Fluid capacity

Hi
First post, new tractor, have a manual ordered but do not have it yet. Need the tractor running, I have work to get done ....
IH 2444 #05123 about 1969 version, I think. It has a loader and 3 point, has connections for back hydraulic but nothing hooked up to it.

What is the correct amount of hydraulic fluid for this thing? The shop manual I have says 3 gallons, but I have drained off somewhere around 8! I was told that how it was running it sounded like it had too much fluid, try taking some off. I did, then more, then more, still couldn't decide if it was correct. I decided I'd drain it totally and start with a measured amount, since I'm not doing well at guessing what the level should be. But 3 gallons is looking way too low, and I think that may be for a machine without a loader installed.

Secondary question to this: I'm draining it off at a female square holed magnetic plug that faces the back of the tractor. It's above the 3 point, below the male plug that sits on the top of a cubical reservoir thing that is below/behind the seat. There is a male square plug on the underside of what I would say is the axle (?) or transmission (?) just below the reservoir, drain plug for the axle or whatever. Am I draining it at the correct place? Do I have all the fluid out? Not sure if I should be trying to get that square plug loose, it will take serious work, it's not easy to remove.

I apologize for not knowing the right words for what I am seeing, I'm good with cars, but trying to learn a tractor from scratch. I'll do better with words when I have a manual.

If it matters, the reason I was told the take off some fluid is it ran fairly well, I did a bunch of brushcutting before the grass got thick, then blew a hydraulic line. I replaced it, wasn't sure of what the fluid level should be, added some, and the tractor is now losing power when I am running the brushcutter, to the point where it loses power going uphill with the cutter off, running on grass I have already cut. I have been concerned I am going to get it stuck because it can't go up the hill it has gone up easily before. I was told too much fluid could be making the clutch slip, take some off. (If there's a way to clean the clutch easily without taking things apart I'd love to know it!)

Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated
Pearl
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: Hydraulic Fluid capacity

Sorry, I can't help you. This forum is generally geared towards and frequented by owners of IH Light Line vehicles, ie Scouts, Pickups, Travelalls etc. Perhaps someone knowledgeable about your tractor model might stumble on this thread at some point, but I think you might have more luck getting a timely answer by visiting a forum that is more geared towards the Farmall Tractor set. Good luck.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Pearl

Ah, thank you. I got here from the IH Parts phone line, press 5 for tech support, then basically "go to the forums, we don't do tech support." I didn't know whether this was a good idea or not. Thank you for an answer, I'll repost this other places Or go back to guessing at the level.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
Scoutboy74

Yeah, this is the right place for asking tech questions, its just that this forum caters to a much different product than what you're after...in other words, not tractors, if that clears it up. I know there are John Deere and Massey Ferguson tractor enthusiast forums out there, so it just stands to reason that there would be IH Tractor enthusiast forums also. I know what drew you here was the IH symbol, but Scouts and pickups are quite a bit different than tractors. I'm not trying to run you off. I just think you could be in for a long wait for an answer if you don't look elsewhere.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Scoutboy74

I found this thread which may be helpful by simply doing a quick google search of your tractor model. You could do the same and with a little more time spent, you might find even more detailed info...

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com...f27e0fb3b329a1

Old 06-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
meisterj

Member Number: 8515

Pearl,
There is another IH forum that has a sub forum specific to tractors. Since this forum doesn't cover tractors, and the sponsor doesn't work on or sell tractor parts, I hope it is ok to refer you to the other site. It can be found at http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/i...actor-tech.69/
If not the sponsor can delete this post.
meisterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
Pearl

Thank you both! I did post on Yesterday's Tractors and got a good reply, I admit I failed to even look there for info first, just following the directions on the phone to post here. I have posted about this tractor there before. It's an old beastie, and I'm learning by the "jump in and swim" method I should have the manual soon. I'm glad, reading that post, that I'm not the only one lost. Makes me feel a bit better.
I bookmarked the other forum too
Thank you both SO much!!
Pearl